Sunway C10A R5 Mini Review with pictures and beam shot

njet212

Enlightened
I'm a bit surprise there is no review for this light, so i make this mini review for everyone who want to know about this light. After EDC'ing it for abot +/- 1 month, there are few pros and cons i found about this light. Lets get started :)

Features (taken from Sunway website):

• CREE R5 LED, with a lifetime of 50,000 hours;
  • Three levels of constant output, one strobe mode ?below is the output and runtime of using one 2600mAH Ni-MH battery?
Three levels of constant output: 130 Lumens (1 hr) - 30 Lumens (35 hrs) - 3 Lumens (100 hrs)

Strobe mode: 130 Lumens
  • Soft contact push button switch, easy to operate
  • Constant current circuit, constant output
  • Using one single 1.5V AA (Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium) battery
  • Reflector of good quality maintains both great throw distance and spread, perfect beam pattern
  • Dimension: 90.4mm (length) x 21.1mm (head diameter)
  • Weight: 40g?battery excluded
  • Aerospace-grade aluminum alloy
  • Military Specification Type III hard anodized
  • Waterproof accords with IPX-8 standard
  • Ultra-clear toughened glass lens resists scratches and impacts
  • Tail stand and can be used as a candle
  • Accessories: metal clip, O-ring, rubber cap

Packaging

DSC01541.jpg

Pretty standard packaging, comes with carton box with clear plastic design with red-black combination color, remind me with Surefire packaging :whistle: For everyone who purchased Sunway light before, you must be know that sunway has been made Typo for Falshlight instead of Flashlight but on C10A packaging the already fixed that typo.

DSC01542.jpg
DSC01543.jpg

Inside of packaging we got C10A flashlight, manual,warranty,sunway advertising card, spare o-rings, spare rubber cap, removable pocket clip, lanyard.

Size comparison with similar light

DSC01536.jpg

From left to right: Akoray K106, 1st batch D10-Q5, Nitecore D10SP Camo R2, Nitecore D11 R5, Sunway C10A R5

Sunway C10A approximately have same length with Nitecore D10 series, fairly compact.

Battery Option

DSC01544.jpg

We can use AA Alkaleaks, AA Nimh and 14500. But Sunway C10A is optimized for Alkaleak and Nimh. We could still use 14500 but Sunway told me the efficiency when using 14500 is about 60% also from my test it is produce same output when i using Nimh. This could be an issue for folks here who loved using 14500 set-up.

Finishing

DSC01545.jpg
DSC01546.jpg
DSC01547.jpg

Overall finish is superb, anodized color is match in whole body. The clip is not grippy enough, but it is has deep carry pocket clip i.e no parts from C10 is protruding when you clipped it on your pocket.

Does not have lock out feature.

No knurling in the C10A body, but not an issue for me due the switch design ( see explanation below ).

DSC01539.jpg

Switch is super smooth, more smoother than reverse click. I don't know what is the right word to describe it, but approximately it's feel like mouse button click. With reverse / forward switch we need more push on click and sometimes the light body could slipped down for support this slippery we need a good knurling on the body. While on Sunway C10A switch we don't really need knurling on the body because switch activation required less push/power than reverse / forward switch.

DSC01540.jpg

However, removing clip is bit difficult, you could see on the picture i already scratched the body while i tried to remove the clip.

DSC01537.jpg

Relector is OP ( orange peel ), the beam that C10A produce is very smooth.

UI ( User Interface )

The UI is relatively simple. Press for more than 0.5 second to switch the brightness, brightness comes is serial low-medium-high, release the switch to select desired brightness. Sunway C10A also comes with memory feature i.e it will always start on last brightness we used.

To select hidden mode double click the switch to access strobe mode.

Sometimes we could accidentally accessed the hidden mode and sometimes the switch is not responsive. For not responsive switch, could solved easily by tightening tail cap all the way down.

Heat Management

Recently i also did Sunway C10A pass around. All heat management test and info was taken form C10A pass around result. Sorry no picture.

Many people here ( including me ) did not really put attention on this factor which i think is crucial for single cell flashlight when you're using the light for extended usage. While we running on high mode the light need to be as cool as possible, so we still feel comfortable to hold the flashlight on our hand without using glove or something like that.

The maximum heat for C10A is 46 degree at 67 minute, the light still comfortable enough to hold. I could say heat management on Sunway C10A is quite good.

From the another test i did ( using Quark mini123 S2 ) i could say starting from 50-53 degree, i could feel that the light is not comfortable to hold ).

Beam shot

DSC01810.jpg
DSC01805.jpg
DSC01806.jpg
DSC01804.jpg
DSC01809.jpg

Batteries used is fresh Eneloop 2000 mAh. On wall shot, Sunway C10A beam looks beautiful compared with Nitecore D11. Has bright hot spot with fairly bright side spill which is very use full for close range illumination. I could also notice, slight dark spot on the center on C10A ( my camera can not capture it ).

For distance beam shot, on high mode Sunway C10A is brighter than Nitecore D11. I could also say, C10A is a bit focused than D11 but not much.

Overall

New light from new manufacture. Sunway could proof that they could produce quality flashlight for such a new manufacture, because they have experience producing flashlight in the past.

Switch is smooth, does not required a lot of push / effort to activate it. Beam is smooth also. Has deep carry clip, no protruding parts from C10A while you clipped it on your pocket. Minimize chance flashlight falling down from snag on something while you moving. Heat management is quite good, you don't have to worry for heat issue while running C10A on high mode.

Sometimes switch is not responsive, but i could solve this by tightening tail cap all the way down. Clip is not provide enough traction i.e not grippy enough. Hidden mode too easy to accessed, sometimes we could accidentally accessed the hidden mode. C10 A also does not have lock out feature.

doctor ladd

Newly Enlightened
Great review, Just what I was looking for.
I am waiting on one of these, I couldn't resist. I am most excited about the low mode since I only have very bright lights and its ability to use a single AA will be great!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi Njet,

Thanks for providing me with your thread in my post. Excellent review. I'm still a bit "on the fence" (i.e. UNsure) but, I'm going to give this Sunwayman a lot of thought. Thanks again Njet.

Regards,
Tom

T45

Enlightened
A bit of clarification on the switch please: does the C10A have a momentary on capability?

njet212

Enlightened
If correctly remember, it does not have momentary switch. Switch on C10A looks like exactly switch on Zebralight SC51 ( electronic switch with out momentary ).

357rw

Newly Enlightened
goingprepared youtube channel has a "review" for the sunwayman c10a where they show the operation.

Thats my next light. It was going to be a fenix ld10, but i can't find a reason to get that over the sunwayman. Well, I guess more max brightness on 14500 or batteryjunction 14505.