In tribute to the U2 - the U2 turns six

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there are many contenders for the title of Surefire's greatest masterpiece ever. It's a tough call, and there are many worthy lights.

But to me, personally, exactly six years ago the Original U2 landed in my hands and changed the way I look at lights forever. Six levels, Hall-effect sensor that reads the position of the dial THROUGH the aluminium, 18650-capable barrel, THE perfect 1.47 reflector, and state of the art LED technology.

I find it kinda hard to believe it has been six years already, but I still like the U2 as much as I did the day it got here. In those long years, I have had the opportunity to own and love many other lights, but the appeal of the Chosen One just never seems to fade.

If I had to choose ONE light to take with me to the end of the world, this would be it. Six years, all over the world, banged, dropped, dunked, you name it. The joke is that I drop the U2, and the floor breaks. Behind every good bit of humor is a grain of truth and the score currently stands about 10-0 in favor of the U2. The floors aren't happy about that.

This is one of the very first production runs. After conversing with fellow owners, we've worked out that the HA is inconsistent (almost Winelight in some areas), the LuxV is unusually bright (suspected X-bin, no proof though), has a pinkish tint (WA tint bin), but they are truly awesome. I actually liked the tint and the super output, and I don't really care about the HA.

I waited nine months, coughed up all $279 on the preorder, and the light has paid it all back in the times it has saved my bacon.

p24400287-4.jpg

Thanks Surefire. This is as perfect as it gets. :)