"Q" LS upgrade for the Aitec Collimator

hideo

Enlightened
\"Q\" LS upgrade for the Aitec Collimator

I recently acquired one of these from eBay (another CPFer). For those not familiar, it's the second from the right below

fb212fee.jpg

more info in Craig's review here

Aitec lights

the Aitec optic on the right compared to it's lumileds equivalent -little bigger diameter than an NX-05 and sadly, not as well-centered

fb213e7f.jpg

after removing the snap-in optic, this is the guts--definitely lo-tech with no bombproof electrical path, but for $30 for a solid aluminum case, tailcap and an-easy-to-upgrade LS carrier ... not bad

fb213f7e.jpg

fb213f5e.jpg

the bin code is obscured, but I had already fired it up and it had the legendary babystool-greeen Luxeon, so ...

grrrrrrr!! ... tugtwistyank ... wheresa%$^%$^needlenosevicegrips?

broke loose the thin film of thermal epoxy holding the LS to the aluminum carrier/heatsink and ...

(note the minty Q2J LS waiting for a drop-in)

fb213f3e.jpg

popped in the Q2 and managed to reassemble without breaking any of the plastic tabs on the optic holder or the little copper terminal which piks up the negative from the light body.

added a McFlood after playing with several optics (the lumileds optics are a little too small)

a very bright and perfectly white ARC LSH-P with a Q4 is overlapping beams with the Aitec below--the picture does not really give a good idea how bright the Aitec is, due to the ARCs intense hotspot

fb2127dc.jpg

I think this is my favorite light for the McFlood thus far--LOTS of output with three NiMH AAAs in direct drive--very usable light with the swap!

Just have to lock the LS down with a little thermal poxy (so I can run it for more than 20 seconds at a time) and call it good ...

looks like the SL 3AA Luxeon is the next drop-and-swap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hideo

web page

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Re: \"Q\" LS upgrade for the Aitec Collimator

Good work! Looks like the original LS was M or N flux bin. Yuk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I bet the Q looks much better!

hideo

Enlightened
Re: \"Q\" LS upgrade for the Aitec Collimator

it was tough to make out the bin code after I canked the old star out as the epoxy took most of it off--believe it was an O2 (might have been Q2, but, if so, it was a pretty sad excuse for one)

I used the old LS to practice emitter removal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (successfully)

anyway, it's a pretty sweet light now and a really easy swap

hideo