What Has Happened to Maglite Drop-in LED Conversions?

Z

z_Richwouldnt

Last year I converted several old Maglites to LED using modules from Maglite, Terralux and Diamond LED.

It seems like Diamond LED has vanished and Terralux support line for Maglites has decreased a lot. The Maglite web site no longer lists their LED conversion modules as available that I could find.

Two of my conversions were to red LED modules for night time use, one in a AA MiniMag and the other in a 3C Maglite. At the time modules were available in red, amber, green and blue beam colors as well as UV IIRC. All the colored ones seem to have vanished.

Has demand for the modules decreased due to market saturation and lack of demand? I am sorry to see the colored beam modules disappear as they allowed assembling a light with characteristics that are hard to duplicate with filters on a white LED light.

wachtelhund

Newly Enlightened
I also have searched for the Red Diamond Led drop in for Maglites. I was lucky to fine several, but would like some more to build Maglites for friends.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
maglite is probably having more success in selling new led flashlights rather than drop in bulbs. Especially this day and age of a "throw away society'

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite has LED lights that aren't simply a "bulb" with an LED now and which likely are taking over sales from the incan models. Aftermarket parts in a smaller market during a recession... not surprising we're seeing fewer options.

rdf

Newly Enlightened
Nite Ize has drop-in upgrades for both AA Mini-Mags and for C/D Mags. I picked up one of the AA versions from GoingGear. At the time, they also had the C/D versions listed, but I just checked and (at a quick look under Nite Ize on their new website) I only see AA versions.

bhjazz

Newly Enlightened
There is a 1W Nite Ize at Amazon, although the 3W listed as out of stock @ flashlightsunlimited looks far more interesting (if it were only available).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have listed most of the easily available LED bulbs here:

Dorcy has a 2 cell 30 lumen and a 3-4 cell 40 lumen that focus good in fixed focus flashlights. $6 at dorcydirect or $4 at Sears Canada or Frys in the US. Probably a Nichia 10 mm.

Terralux TLE-1F 50 lumens $13-$20. Luxeon.
Terralux TLE-6EXB 2-3 cells TLE-6EX 4-6 cells 140 lumens $15-$23. Rebel.

superbrightleds have a lot of models.
PR2-W1-WVR $5 and PR2-.5WHP $6 do not focus very well.
PR2-1WHP-30V 100 lumens $11 is a Cree 1W for tool lights. Won't work at 6V or less. Cree XP series. My eyesight is not good enough to tell if it is a XP-C or XP-E.
PR2-1WHP-9V $11 is the lower voltage version but the maker has changed LEDs. (suspect SSC-P4)
PR2-3WHP-3V & PR2-3WHP-9V 180 lumens $15 are 3W versions. Very bright but bigger hotspot not brighter hotspot. Also gets very hot very fast. I do not recommend them for plastic flashlights. Metal flashlights with metal bulb holders.

Nite-ize makes them but they are not available in Canada and I do not have info on them.
EDIT Thank Stress_Test for pointing to Lighthound. $10.99 The 1W description indicates probably Luxeon similar to Terralux TLE-1F. /EDIT

All lumens here are bulb lumens. About 65% get out of the flashlight.
For more powerful drop in upgrades:

LED Drop in Flood
Budget Showerhead drop-in for Mag. Fusion 36, now available in warm.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?277748-Budget-Showerhead-Mag-Drop-in.

LED Drop in spot/spill
malkoffdevices,
TerraLUX TLE-300M

The more powerful mods:

LED
How To Mod a Maglite P7 - 38 PICS
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?238641-How-To-Mod-a-Maglite-P7-38-PICS

Hotwire
Hotwire How-To: The ROP and the Mag 11
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?259443-Hotwire-How-To-The-ROP-and-the-Mag-11