I need some input from Law Enforcement and others on a "protective" Light

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Well, unfortunately, this is a post that I dread writing, in that, while I am in the Military, I figured I would ask for some more Professional input from all the CPFers (and I KNOW there quite afew LEOs on here) on an EDC protective light that will help compliment a young ladys defensive kit. I am fairly well versed in whats available, but, I know I may be missing a light or two that would be well-suited for this use specifically.

First, here is the article in our local newpaper that refers to my issue, as the activity in question took place not 200' away from my g/f's oldest daughters house:mad::

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...ith_murde.html

Now, for starters, this young lady is in a lease that she CANNOT get out of for at least another 6 months, and, she's not the only one in this predicament- she has 3 college roommates (all young ladies) sharing this property as well. With the monies that these young ladies have to spend on rent, food, ancellaries, as well as the proximity to their school, this house is an ideal and affordable arrangement(dorm fees suck). Unfortunately, there has been a HUGE upswing in gang activity in their neighborhood as of late, with the aforementioned shooting being the 2nd in about a week. The park that is mentioned in that article IS her backyard, and its a well-known haven for drug dealers and gang bangers, according to some locals I've spoken to. She is VERY concerned about just even walking to her car in their driveway, so I figured it would make some sense to have a very good EDC that has:

a: decent strike bezel

b: a very user friendly UI

c: tactical mode

-and most importantly-

d:can run VERY well off just plain 'ole batteries (e.g. CR123's)

I have a number of 16340 and 18650 lights that may fill the bill, but, as we all know, giving Li-Ions to an inexperienced user is a recipe for disaster.:ohgeez: I figured having a light that can run well off common batteries (or CR123's, which I have a load of) is a definite plus in this regard. I also figured that having a light with a strike bezel may be a VERY good idea, as it would supplement the pepper spray she carries already. Anything that would give her an extra edge would be welcome! I should say that I got VERY lucky and was able to pick up an RRT-0 over on MP for a reasonable sum before this incident transpired-but, I'm thinking you good folks here could point me in the right direction as there may be better alternatives.

And yes, I had entertained the thought (after discussing it with my comrades at work) of having this young woman possibly joining some self-defense courses, as well as applying for a concealed weapons permit when she turns 21 (still a year off- so not a real practical solution). But, I think that when you introduce Deadly Force :eek: into this equation, she would need MUCH more training than just a straightforward primer on the appropriate use of what she has at hand (i.e. a flashlight and a can of pepper spray). Also, the legal ramifications of such a tactic are VERY severe, so the best force multiplier here is whats practicable.:thumbsup:

And yes, I DID see the thread on Security, but, I think this is a totally different situation altogether, as this pertains to someone who is about as flashlight illiterate as they come, and has no formal self-defense training (yet). I should also mention that, while I make this young lady sound like a helpless waif, shes quite an athlete who knows how to throw her weight around(so to speak), so I doubt highly that she would back down if put in a situation where shed have to use what she has on hand to defend herself. She has fairly small hands and short stature. I thank you guys and gals for your time and input.