Ideal Brightness Steps?

Z

z_Richwouldnt

What do members feel are the ideal brightness steps on a flashlight? Does it vary with intended usage? Here are some examples, all from one maker, Olight. They are all high output lights.

M30 has levels of 8, 120 and 700 Lumens

M31 has levels of 60, 320 and 800 Lumens

M21 has levels of 20, 80 and 500 Lumens

SR90 has levels of 700 and 2200 Lumens

There seems to be no agreement of what are the desired steps almost like they are chosen at random by each designer. All of the examples are in the same family and are considered to be Tactical lights so far as I know.

My own take is That the M31 is optimized for long throw and the brightness pattern is aimed at search rescue type use. It does not have a moonlight level. The M30 is more tactical in orientation and does have the low moonlight output level available.

The M21 pattern makes little sense to me. The middle to high level jump seems too great and the low is too bright for a moonlight output but a bit low for a general purpose walking output. What was intended with this output pattern?

The SR90 is presented as a ultra high power search rescue light. It dont need no stinking low output.

My own preference for my use in a high output light is a pattern of a 20 to 60 Lumen low, a medium level that is about 40% of the high and a high that provides at least 1.2 hours of output with the lights standard available rechargeable batteries.

Latest posts