mag 4D cell

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, 3d provides the perfect voltage for 1watt luxeons, and 2d or 5-6d provides good voltage for the 5watters.

4d is too much for a 1w and too little for a 5w. this can be gotten around by using converters or resistors or the like, but using a more appriate battery configuration is just easier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one of the shows, a customer said that he was directing traffic, and needed a RED TriLight and would pick it up the next show; so we built it - but he never showed up

I put it in a 4D case, and its **DANGEROUSLY** bright; I don't even want to look at my hand when I point it at it

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
What currents are you guys seeing with the Trilight on 4 D cells?

I blipped mine at 2.0A with D NiMHs for a second or two...you can't let it run like that, can you? Not for more than maybe 10-20 seconds, right?

Are the alkaline Ds running yours at 1.2A or less? I just checked and it was another 2.0A reading.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wanted to ask this, so I will. I've read about the Trilight for awhile now. I'm sure "it rocks", (like Elvis did when I first read the "it rocks" description in the 1950's), in a 3 or 4 D cell maglight, but does it "rock" enough to justify a $100.00 shipped price tag? That price, (to me), is so steep for a maglight conversion that it boggles my mind! Please explain why the Trilight conversion for the maglight is worth $100.00? Thanks.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I've got my Trilight in a 4C (vaguely recall some minor difficulty getting it in there), and if I had to choose just one "big" light, the Trilight would be it. Great combination of flood and throw. Good runtime. Mine is a bit bluish; I'd hope the newer ones are pure white.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's a bit greenish in two of the luxeons but I'm hoping Inretech will swap it out with a different one.

Were it my first over 1W LED light I would certainly consider single 5W lights like the Blaster V or IV from Elektrolumens, or the Streamlight TL-3 LED, or, for more money, maybe the SureFire L4. I'm not sure why a Blaster IV is like $90 for the whole light and the TriLight is $90 for just the mod. <shrug> The 5W can be brighter...6xAA NiMH in the EL 3-to-Ds max out at 400-500mA, but that's still enough to be more than a match for the TriLight at about twice the current off 3xD NiMHs. The other lights run off CR123 lithiums which I still have a lukewarm relationship with, and I haven't felt like getting involved in the complications of figuring out which Pila LiIon cell(s) to get to run such devices, plus, I have tons of NiMH already.

Those are the "cheap" lights. There are other homebrew limited run 5W lights but they cost mucho $$, like $200 or so for one I saw. I don't know if Inretech could do a single 5W mod for less, but the 3W TriLight isn't a bad value. It sure tops the possible runtime of all the other options, when using alkaline Ds, and if you'll tolerate it dropping below 1W after, what, 10 hours or so?

Let's face it, the only reasonably priced LED lights have maybe 3 5mm LEDs. Luxeons cost way too much, apart for maybe the CMG Reactor, and 5W luxeons cost way(x5) too much period. I "needed" that bright an LED light to satisfy my new technology lust. I bought the Blaster IV first, since the 5W was newer to me than 3 luxeons...but eventually the Trilight seemed neat enough, and I ran into some extra bucks for pet-sitting, that I forked over the money for one.

If $40 is fair for an Epieon or EverLED or MadMax module, then so is $90 for the Trilight. Albeit, it's not regulated like 2 of the others.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally installed my UCL with the Trilight. It made some godawful noises compared to the stock lens when going on, but didn't scratch. The tint on Trilight is a wonderful...would be better with the epitaxial (Epcon?) HD luxeons, not to mention the wicked beam the Fraens would give, but it is the best I've seen from LD luxeons. I love it.

I finally talked to my wife's colleague who expressed an interest in seeing my flashlights and buying some sort of LED light brighter than the Arc AAA she gave him. I went to their office to view the videos Arc put up in disgusting Windows Media instead of MPEG or Sorenson format and, while I was at it, brought a slim sample of lights with me to show him: Opalec, Inova x5, ArcLSL, and my 3D mag w/Trilight. The Trilight made quite an impression, I think it was his favorite. He's got a couple of 4D Mags, one black, one blue, and methinks one of them will be LEDded before long.

he thought I was nuts to care about luxeon color tints, and I showed him the magenta-ish Arc-LS next to the Trilight just to be sure. Maybe it's because he has a personal issue about not wanting to be thought of as a geek. He's an engineer, but a civil engineer, maybe they're less geeky than the average electrical engineer. At least they're more employed right now than the average electrical engineer (like me...grumble, grumble). CR123s and NiMH batteries did not seem to appeal much to him.

Or, maybe he doesn't care about luxeon tints because he just wants to light things up, not stare at his LEDs or shine them on walls looking at the beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alrighty then, maybe it does rock! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif For $90.00 though I would want PURE WHITE but I know about the LED lottery.

I've tried so many different mods in my 4XD cell mag with little or no satisfaction. The EverLED I installed in it was so worthless to me that I went back to the overdriven 3XD cell Xenon bulb I was running in it before for it's bright, superior throw. No sense having the big "club" if it doesn't throw!

radellaf or anyone have a picture of the Trilight in a 3 or 4 cell mag that displays it's beam and especially the throw?

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can take some beamshots tonight. I know INRETECH is all LD but let me once again crusade for the HD + Fraen LP in the future...as in when production quantities of the Fraen are available. While I think the LD + NX05 is a great beam for usefulness, especially triple-power like the Trilight, I'd love to see the tighter throw combo.

Why _are_ we so picky about a tint in our beams? It makes so little difference in actual use...

A "big club" that just f'ing lights up the room is pretty useful, too.

I just saw this flashlight and haven't seen comment about it on here yet:
click for description

That would give you your Mag 4D with an "optional" LED like the INRETECH MC-White adapter. Same price, but you keep the incandescent function.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks radellaf. I'd prefer pure white but actually I'm not that picky. My L4 is "greenish" but it doesn't bother me at all. I had two ARC-LS's and sold off the whiter one because the old, beat-up original "bluish" one has been my faithful companion for over a year and has been beat to death! I just think that for almost $100.00 for a mag upgrade, it should be white as possible.

Thanks for the link on that light. Anyone here tried one in person?

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I am actually modding my 4D mag now, my plan is to run it with 4D cells and use a Badboy 700, 5W white luxeon, Fraen optic and a 4D mag adaptor that I got from ebay. More pics and detail to come after I finished this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene: Far be it from me to argue that $90 isn't expensive, given that it held me back from buying a TriLight for so long, but it is on par with other Mag mods like the Epieon or EverLED. Three of those would be at least $90.

Charles: I'm curious about this "4D mag adaptor". Otherwise that sounds like quite a project. One of the threads below mentions a "Megaclops" which I think is a long-throw 5W modded Mag. That and what you're doing are cool, but I generally consider them out of my reach as they're not "production models". InReTech always sells the TriLight...Elektrolumens always has the Blasters. Lambda, well, AFAIK you never can be sure which models will be available when. As for things like Pelikan 6P "McModules", I have no idea. That might be available in 5W, might have tighter focus than the TriLight.

What can I say, the Trilight on 3xD NiMH like I use it, is just a hell of a lot of fun. It's a relative flood like any NX05 light, but three times as bright. But, even a Blaster 1R will out-throw it. I just find the balance of spill to throw on NX05 lights really useful, but single 1W lights a little dim. They make me feel like I'm using a flashlight. The Trilight lets me walk around (the house) feeling like, more or less, the lights are on. It's dimmer than the lights, sure, but bright enough to see things clearly and wide enough that I don't have to keep moving it around. Outdoors though, past 50ft, bring another light. But the Trilight will sure light up your path and your surroundings out about half that far. Too bright, IMHO, for the woods. I'd prefer something like an Opalec or Inova X5 to get around and a Stinger for spotting...or just an A2.

---
Threads of note:
what's the most ridiculously big, metal LED torch
Beamshots: Trilight, StarLux, Blaster II
---

The closet wall is about 25 ft. away for these beamshots.
---------
Trilight 4D Alkaline:
001tl4d.JPG

---
Mag 3D EverLED NiCd:
002ever.JPG

---
Blaster IV 6xAA NiCd (~600mA):
003bivni.JPG

---
Blaster IV 3xCR123 (~900mA):
004bivl.JPG

Sony DSC-S85 F2.1 1/5 sec

6pOriginal

Enlightened
The adaptor is basically an Al heatsink with a PR base. The seller's idea is a simply mod, just put a 1watt luxeon on the adaptor, solder a few wires and a resistor, finally put some sort of optic on it. But I went the extra mile of putting the Badboy and the 5 watter in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

here's the link for the auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2353064262

*edit* here he actually has a drop in ready-made one (with all the luxeon, resistor soldered), it said it's for a 3D mag, but I think you may be able to ask him to swap in a resistor for a 4D or you can just simply do it yourself...hope this helps
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2353064992

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh. Again, I'd love to see pics when you're done. Is the BB "outboard" with the 5W mounted as intended in the middle of the heatsink?