Asking for Guidance on Flashlight Selection

Z

z_roberts0909

First, kudos to was.lost for creating this checklist. Next, thanks in advance for those who take the time to share their knowledge and wisdom with me.

I'm looking for a good flashlight for camping. Runtime, power, and durability are about equally important. Ability to maintain battery power over while in storage is a consideration.

I'd almost decided on the M20, but I really like the TK40--except for what I read about the UI. If it wasn't for this I'd have already ordered it.

This is probably a separate post, but I also need guidance on battery types/brands/etc. Many lights will accept multiple battery configurations, so once I pick something I'll need to know something about what to choose.

One other note, I purchased a Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi CA1 for an EDC keychain light, so this would be more for camping/outdoors use.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Less than $150-ish.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Either/Or:

Every day carry small (2-4 inches).

Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

Probably LED, but not 100% sure.

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

I would consider getting a light that is pieced together. I build servers, so I'd hope I can build a light. However, my soldering days are over, though I dont know if that's a consideration.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I need a lot of guidance here. I guess the real answer is whatever is a good or best choice for the flashlight I get.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

Another area for guidance. I dont really have a concept of what x lumens looks or feels like. We all like bright, but there is much utility in having high/medium/low settings.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

A light that could change focus would be ideal, but not critical. A difuser could fill that role.

Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)

5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries

More runtime is better, of course.

Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)

30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage:

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

Easy to use; I'm a geek by profession, but the wife is very non technical (easily confused by the cable box controller) and she'll need to be able to use it occasionally.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

3 levels would be ideal. Don't care for the idea of strobe, but not a deal breaker. Also see #12.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Either/Or

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

Any of these might be useful, but not a huge deal. A belt clip might be handy.

Red filter (for preserving night vision).

Pocket/belt clip

Holster

Wrist/Neck Lanyard

Crenulated bezel