Looking for headlamp for trail walking with dogs.

Z

z_goldpony

Hi. I need something that allows me to see distance while walking the dogs at night in the woods. I would prefer a headlamp as to keep my hands free. Any recommendation? I have a a Petzl Tikka XP2, but it is not always enough light to see what the doggies are getting up to!

cistallus

Enlightened
Rest of the original thread as recovered from cache

Re: Looking for headlamp for trail walking with dogs.
Written by cistallus on 12-11-2010 10:47 PM GMT

The Zebralight H51 or H31 might be worth a look, also the Surefire Saint or Saint Minimus.

Written by motohooligan on 12-12-2010 04:18 AM GMT

The Zebralight H51 or H31 might be worth a look, also the Surefire Saint or Saint Minimus.
+1 on the Zebralight. I'm waiting for the neutral version of the H51. I bought my wife the H31w and she's loving it. Don't get me wrong... the Saints are great.. but you could buy 2 or 3 Zebralights for the same price as the Saints. +1 on the Zebralight. I'm waiting for the neutral version of the H51. I bought my wife the H31w and she's loving it. Don't get me wrong... the Saints are great.. but you could buy 2 or 3 Zebralights for the same price as the Saints.

Written by leukos on 12-12-2010 08:32 AM GMT

motohooligan said:
Don't get me wrong... the Saints are great.. but you could buy 2 or 3 Zebralights for the same price as the Saints.
Yup, you need to buy extras when you own Zebralights, at least one of them is always in route to China for warranty repair Yup, you need to buy extras when you own Zebralights, at least one of them is always in route to China for warranty repair :crackup:

The Minimus is pricey but so far seems to be much more reliable.

How long are your walks and how far do you need to see? What about a PT EOS?

Written by Zeruel on 12-12-2010 09:21 AM GMT

I echo the Zebralight recommendation. Your dog can use one too because it comes with a pocket clip, but you had better train him to switch modes with his nose.

Btw, welcome to CPF.

Written by goldpony on 12-12-2010 10:09 AM GMT

Thanks for the suggestions. The walk is about 1 hour. The dogs are off-leash, so the further I can see the better!

Written by NoFair on 12-12-2010 10:27 AM GMT

Princeton Tec Apex, new version (marked 200lumen) has a stronger hinge and uses a xp-g to put out about 200 lumens on high. Great brightness on low as well. Runtimes (high/low) using 4 AA NIMHs are about 3 hours and 12 hours of regulation and plenty of unregulated dimming light after that.

Using the 5mm flood leds will give very very long runtimes on low (still pretty bright)

If money isn't a big issue the Little Monkey Hurricane is wonderful: http://littlemonkeycaving.co.uk/hurricane.aspx

Written by zemmo on 12-12-2010 03:20 PM GMT

I spend a lot of time walking a dog at night, in country that has either/or bear, lion, wolves, moose, caribou, wolverine, et al, and I like to have a lot of light. I love my H51, but it could use a little more throw, for this purpose. Of the lights mentioned, I'd go for the PT Apex, but I might get the Pro version that uses CR123's. The Magicshine would also be good, but the last I heard they were having issues with the batteries; mine has worked fine and throws a hell of a lot of light, enough to see quite far although the beam is pretty floody.

Written by Outdoorsman5 on 12-13-2010 05:40 AM GMT

+1 again on the ZL H51....love mine. I recently read the thread discussing battery/lumen issues with this light - thread's called, "School me on Headlamps." I figured this out recently too as the discussion on the tread reveals, you will not get full performance on alkaline batteries. You really need to use Nimh to get the full 200 lumens (I use eneloops - great bats.) Lithium AA's will get full power out of em too. I have a SC51 & a H51 (same light really.) I put alkies in one and eneloops in the other, and man what a difference the eneloops made. Anyway, the H51 is IMO the best headlamp for the money. I love the output, but more than that I love the UI - genius.

Written by Moddoo on 12-13-2010 09:53 AM GMT

goldpony said:
Hi. I need something that allows me to see distance while walking the dogs at night in the woods.

Zebralight headlamps are great. But they are not what this guy needs.

He is looking for something with some throw.

I do not know of the best headlamp to recommend, but I believe the zebralights will not throw nearly as far as the Petzl Tikka XP2 that he has currently.

Written by NoFair on 12-13-2010 10:07 AM GMT

Moddoo said:

I do not know of the best headlamp to recommend, but I believe the zebralights will not throw nearly as far as the Petzl Tikka XP2 that he has currently.
Even the xp-e Zebralights have a somewhat floody beam and have to be on max to be close to a PT Apex. Runtime on max is imho too short for walking the dog with the Zebralights. An Apex will run on max for over 3 hours with lots of light for several hours after that. An Apex extreme has at least twice that. Even the xp-e Zebralights have a somewhat floody beam and have to be on max to be close to a PT Apex. Runtime on max is imho too short for walking the dog with the Zebralights. An Apex will run on max for over 3 hours with lots of light for several hours after that. An Apex extreme has at least twice that.

Any progress on your P60 based headlamp Tom?

Written by Outdoorsman5 on 12-13-2010 10:14 AM GMT

You may be right on that considering how he intends to use the light. I use it for running & hiking; not for following after dogs, etc. I think throw is decent on the H51, not great but decent. I usually value throw over flood on my lights, and have felt that the H51 has good balance between the two. I'm hoping they come out with an 18650 offering which would offer more output & better runtimes. So, maybe something else should be considered here. You may be right on that considering how he intends to use the light. I use it for running & hiking; not for following after dogs, etc. I think throw is decent on the H51, not great but decent. I usually value throw over flood on my lights, and have felt that the H51 has good balance between the two. I'm hoping they come out with an 18650 offering which would offer more output & better runtimes. So, maybe something else should be considered here.

Written by Roxton on 12-13-2010 01:49 PM GMT

Hi!

..why not a Spark technology light?

http://www.spark001.com/index.aspx

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...odel-ST6-280OW

Written by goldpony on 12-13-2010 07:41 PM GMT

Roxton said:
:eek: "You sucked-out my brain thought!" :eek:

What do you know about the Spark "Lumenholic" ST6-360CW? Where is it manufactured? Reliability?

Written by goldpony on 12-13-2010 09:13 PM GMT

Roxton said:
You've sucked-out my brain thought! You've sucked-out my brain thought!

I was just reserching the Spark "Lumenholic" ST6-360CW. Where is it manufactered? Anyone know the reliability/quality of workmanship?

Written by Roxton on 12-15-2010 02:57 AM GMT

Hi!

In this german forum http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=91427

is a thread with pics and many beamshots about the Spark's.

They write (Hiltihome; first post) Spark is a new manufacturer from shanghai, maybe parts of the crew come from ZebraLight. ZebraLight goes to a US owner?

I don't have one (for now) but the opinions are excellent.

The ST6 serie work with 2xCR123 to and they have a reverse battery protection.

:wave: