Stream light Luxeon Star 3AA ??

Severe

Newly Enlightened
I need a light to work on the computers I build,Is this one good for my purposes or would I be better off with something else? I like the price range of this one, but am open to suggestion. Thanks Severe

chumley

Enlightened
Welcome to cpf Severe. If you are going to use the 3AA tasklight to do close up work, I think you will find it way too bright. I mostly use mine outside to light up the path where I walk my dog. I think you might want to try a lower power light like Arc AAA or CMG Ultra.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a durn fine light. You don't give much info about your needs other than working on computers.

It sounds like you need a close in flood, the 3AA doesn't do that. Sl 4AA Led might be better for this purpose. If you want throw with it, the 3AA Lux will do.

Severe

Newly Enlightened
I used to have a CMG Reactor 3 and found it to be ok untill that darn switch started causing flicker problems, The switch is really a lame one [having to turn that whole front assembly that way. So I sent that back and got my money back and am now without. To answer your question John;
I work inside the pc case and so there places that need xtra illumination. Also go outside sometimes at night to have a good Cigar and bring the cat along and surely don't want to step on her. Thanks Chumley for the nice welcome to the group. Seems like real nice respectable people here!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe a streamlight propolymer 4aa..
or an underwater kinetics 2aaa led light..
or the dorcy 2c 8 led light..
or the arc ls if you're a big spender..
or the surefire l1 if you're a big spender..
orrr, i think personally, the surefire a2 aviator would be the best light for you.. but again, big spender?

those lights all put out nice soft floods of light.. you might find them too bright, but i'd think they'd do just fine..

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe an Illuma-Lux from ElektroLumens.com?
I use mine all the time for up close work. Only time it's too bright up close is at night in pitch black.
It doesn't have far throw as the SL task, but it has an even smooth broad beam that will light up a room at night very well.

So it's more of a flood, and would work great for PC case work.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
so many possibilities!

of the lights i own: streamlight 4aa 7 led (~120+ lux), opalec newbeam (~40 lux), detuned madmax (~240 lux) would all work nicely.

the streamlight (~$25) is an excellent light. hard to go wrong with it.

the opalec, (~$25) though comparatively dim, is remarkably bright in small, up-close dark areas. you will get INCREDIBLY long runtimes, if that is important to you..

the madmax (~~$35-$40) might be too bright (set wide open mine are more than 400 lux!)--but it is a powerful little beast. it should be brighter than your reactor.

good luck!

Bob

Ps dont forget the attitude for ~$15 at about 50 lux...and maybe a headlamp like the $20 aurora at 50+ lux (and dimmable).

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be able to replace the Streamlight's collimator with a McFlood reflector. The two pieces are the same external dimentions, but I don't know if the Streamlight comes apart easy or not.

If you work on computers, servers, or especially in densely populated server/network racks, the McFlood will positively rule..

Severe

Newly Enlightened
I have a Brinkman legend also real nice light, but uses those lithiums pretty quick. thanks for the feedback

Severe

Severe

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight luxeon star tasklight 3AA doesn't have a collimator it comes with a refector, But maybe the Mcflood is a better reflector? Severe

onelight

Enlightened
You may find the 3-AA lux. to bright and to long for close use but the streamlight TT1L or 2L might work well,or the ARC-aaa or Infinity ultra,opalec new beam,PT attitude.If you decide to stretch your budget An ARC-LS & ARC-AAA make a great pair of lights that are hard to beat for this kind of work,a surefire L1 is also excellant.You have many good lights to chose from. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifHave fun

WHODYATHINK

Newly Enlightened
I use my streamlight stylus for alot of my close quarters work , I think it throws a nice beam and I can place it so that I don't get a glare, And it doesn't cost all that much either (less than 20 bucks), only drawback I can think of are the 4A batteries, my local Radio Shack is a bit spotty on availability, BTW Welcome to CPF, where the lights are expensive, but the opinions are always free!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Severe said:
The Streamlight luxeon star tasklight 3AA doesn't have a collimator it comes with a refector, But maybe the Mcflood is a better reflector? Severe

[/ QUOTE ]

OOppps... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I just realized that it doesn't use a collimator. Since McLuxes are in short suppy, you could always get one of Dat2Zip's samwiches & a McFlood and throw it into a minimag or Brink 2aa. I personally think the McFlood is "tailor-made" for working on equipment in close quarters. The McFlood has no real hot-spot - just even light from one edge of the beam to the other. I find the it throws wide enough that many times I can set the light down inside of what I'm working on without having to be too careful to aim it just right. Having both hands free can really help at times.

Streak

Enlightened
I agree with Ron M and the Ptech Attitude. Small, light and bright for close up work. Also, it is plasttic which will prevent short circuits that touching something with a metal bodied light may cause.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed on the plastic bodied lights. No conduction plus there are a lot of sharp edges on PC cases that can shave metal off of a metal flashlight.

PT Attitude, LW 2000 or 2100, Tektite Trek 4, Litepro Teknolite are all good small plastic 3 or 4 LED AA battery lights for close-up work

hideo

Enlightened
if you can wrap your paradigm around a headlight, I'd suggest an Elektrolumens headlight with the 30mm optic removed for a flood that's wider than a McFlood--you get a few concentric circles from the reflector hole, but it's really amazingly uniform and bright

if you drop the optic back in (just unscrew the lens), it's really an eyestabber for a 1W Luxeon ...

the reflector on a SL 3AA Luxeon sadly won't interchnge with a McFlood--the SL reflector is incredibly deep for it's diameter (contributes to that laser-like throw) I agree that the mcFlood makes for a great task light--I've been swapping it between an Aitec Collimator light (de-greened with a Q2J LS) and a Mini-LGI and I think it's in the mini to stay ... for now

hideo