Streamlight?

Z

z_mrlysle

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms. It's not my intent. But I have a question that's been bugging me. I'm new to the forums here and I love this place. I've learned a ton since I joined and I've tried to contribute when I can. My question is this: Why do you hardly ever see anything about Streamlight flashlights? It's almost like Streamlight is shunned or something. I have two, and they both seem like really nice lights. Just wondered. :)

firescout

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight makes basic, reliable lights for public safety and industry. I guess that doesn't make them very interesting for most of the people who frequent this forum.
I have a 10+ year old Streamlight Survivor firefighter light that is on its third NiCd pack and has its original incan lamp. Still works fine after many fires, rescues, and drills.

I am in the market for an LED tactical light to compliment my Surefire G2 hi-output incan light. I'm interested in the Streamlight NightFighter-2 Tactical, but there's not much info here on it.

MIKENC

Newly Enlightened
I hope I'm not opening a can of worms. It's not my intent. But I have a question that's been bugging me. I'm new to the forums here and I love this place. I've learned a ton since I joined and I've tried to contribute when I can. My question is this: Why do you hardly ever see anything about Streamlight flashlights? It's almost like Streamlight is shunned or something. I have two, and they both seem like really nice lights. Just wondered. :)

Good question. I guess it's because they are a little slow to update with the latest tech. and therefore maybe not as cool. What they make is very good and I for one like it.

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
My father has had a stinger for what seems like forever. Its well built and feels extremely solid in the hand. The thing is, when it comes to electronic components, most people want the most cutting edge technology. Unlike surefire, streamlights cant be as easily upgraded. I still think theyre decent lights and if raw power and cutting edge designs arent what you need than there's nothing wrong with streamlight.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's for the same reason as Maglite, Pelican, and SureFire. These manufacturers cater to the general public and professionals, not enthusiasts. Instead of having the latest and greatest, these manufacturers focus on being reliable and dependable. As such, their product development and evaluation cycles take longer time, which often results in them being a step or two behind in technology. It's also for this reason that you'll see lifetime warranties with any Maglite, Pelican, Streamlight, or SureFire product, something rarely found in enthusiast brands.

I've only gotten into Streamlights in the past couple months, and my impression of them is pretty good. Granted, they still use NiCd for their rechargeables and don't plan on going to NiMH (at least here in the USA, they are starting to use NiMH in markets where NiCd recycling is limited), but they have some interesting features. I really like the scratch-resistant plastic windows (combines the best of both: unbreakable like plastic and scratch-resistant like glass), and their electronic switches are momentary-capable and easy to press. Selecting brightness levels in the Stinger UI is one of the best implementations I've seen so far (press-and-hold to cycle high-medium-low-medium-high).

spexmaniac

Newly Enlightened
I used to edc streamlight scorpions, and as ican's go they were great, but along came LED's and because there are no retrofits or LED conversions (either from streamlight or aftermarket) then mine just gather dust in the cupboard. I am very aware of upgradability because of this, which is why my main torches are all P60 hosts. I do have the odd non upgradable torch such as a Ultrafire WF1000 and I've got a Thrunite Catapult XM-L on the way, but my main spending and carry will be P60 based for a very long time now.

WriteAway

Newly Enlightened
Actually, this guy really likes conservative, reliable, American-made lights. That's why for now, I own three Maglites, two Brinkmann, one Streamlight and one Pelican lights. I'm old enough to not mess with what works for me, but still young enough to someday own a Surefire, or Quark or more cutting edge lighting tool to play with. A Streamlight PolyTac is likely my next buy.

From what I've read on CPF since I joined earlier this year, Streamlight is one of the "good guys" as a manufacturer of quality lights.

Forward_clicky

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered and received a Streamlight Polytac 120 lumen torch (my first Streamlight).
I bought it to keep in my truck and its quite bright and seems well built.
I plan on ordering another for the wifes car as well.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
They make tough, dependable lights. Otherwise, there's not much to get excited about. The beams tend to be weak, and very spot like, and bluish. I think they're still using mediocre P4's at low output.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 Streamlights - a TLR-1 on my 870 and TLR-3 on my XD-45. I have not been impressed with their handheld lights. When I suffered a blowout on the freeway a few weeks back, a La Porte policeman showed up as I use using the strobe on my Neutron 1C as sort of a roadside flare. He immediately asked what kind of light I was using, I told him, and then he proceeded to produce a Streamlight Strion from his holster and turned it on strobe. It was like a flashback to 2006. It was about as bright as a Fenix L1P. I told him I sell lights part-time and he very interestedly got my name and number. It seems as though most people who use Streamlight just don't know that anything better exists out there.

LazyJ

Newly Enlightened
I like their toughness and their tailcap switches, alot

I wish someone would put some RCR123's in a Protac or Polytac and let us know if it survives

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
See if you can get ahold of their technical support, they should be able to tell you if the extra voltage will be OK or not.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do some searching in actual fact there has been a lot said about Streamlight,probably most on the Microstream and its larger brother the double cell version.Many members own them including myself.The Microstream is a reliable value for money product.

purelite

Enlightened
Thats a good way to put it. This forum is geared more towards Custom and cutting edge lighting. I used to have a Scorpion also and thought at the time it was awesome. Then I discovered LEDs and I never looked back. I like a cpl of their designs but I cant go back unless they update BIG time. Plus thats all they sell at uniform and gun shops around here. They are just as good quality as Maglites though and not too bad for the money . But when you know theres better how can you justify it?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had 2 Streamlight SL20XP flashlights for about 15 years. The bulbs are original to both lights. I replaced the switch on one of them. I use them around the house for car repairs, plumbing, and anywhere a long-running reliable light is needed. I have many hotwire lights that are more useful for bump in the night use. I like Streamlight because they are dependable and parts are easy to get. Their warranty is as good as Surefire! Streamlight makes great lights. High-tech? Not so much.

deth1313

Newly Enlightened
I'm a fan of them, they make quality products. While I prefer some of my other lights, I have an old stinger and a newer poly stinger, both are great, very reliable and never over charge :D

Gravitron

Newly Enlightened
I concur with the previous posts. I have had an Ultra Stinger for over 10 years and a Scorpion for 8 years. They are very dependable and reliable with great customer service. Their RAND just doesn't keep up with emerging technologies. They haven't changed or upgraded the 300 lumen Ultra Stinger in over 10 years. Some of today's flashlights put out more than 300 lumens and are able to fit on my keychain. I wish they would make an upgrade drop in for both my lights because they still have another 10 good years of life left in them.

belomeclone

Enlightened
Maglite + Drop Ins = That Area

EagleTac's small offerings = Takes care of handheld offerings.

Streamlight = Too weak.

I can't hate on it, since it was a Streamlight that made me think "Hmm... seems I really can get good performance out of something this small." But then I did research, and found you can do more in smaller, sleeker builds. Plus, when it comes to throw, I need a beam that's bright. I can't stand things that claim they can hit a distance (and can!) but it is very faint. I'm looking at you, Cree XP-G R5.

And that is why the Streamlight is not talked about much. :p

Lighteous

Enlightened
I have a soft spot for Streamlight. The Strion with the Xenon bulb was was the first really bright light that I owned and its purchase marked the beginning of this flashlight mania shared by so many others on CPF. When my Strion easily outshined my neighbor's 4-D cell Maglight, I was hooked. My next light was the much brighter UltraStinger. I replaced the Strion Xenon with the C4 LED version and I upgraded my UltraStinger with a Cree XPG LED emitter. However, both are rarely used since I discovered that a Quark 123-2 shines nearly as bright as an UltraStinger in a far smaller package. Then I discovered Fenix, Nitecore, EagleTac, ThruNite, etc. Unless Streamlight embraces emerging technologies and makes a go of appealing to the enthusiast (or as my wife says, the "insane") I can't see myself investing in any Streamlight product. I did, however, purchase a Microstream which I keep in my briefcase...along with about 4 other lights.

This was a good question by the originator of this thread. I too have often wondered about Streamlight and why nothing much is written about it on CPF.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Anyone tried out the Super Tac I was looking at that light its not bad size Was wondering if it has good throw with the deep reflector it has I ordered the Microstream for the wife to carry in her purse its a fantastic little light.

Joe