McGizmo/Malkoff/VC Goodness

Darvis

Enlightened
No reason for this post other than to say I finally caved after years of resisting anything Ti... Not sure why now that I've assembled this one.

McGizmo 1x123 Ti pak, M61LL in a VC Ti VME head.

I had been after a single level light at this output level for some time now and just decided that plunking down for the inevitable was the only way to go. I had originally put an M31LL in there, but wanted the versatility of being able to use RCRs. I have an M30F that I can use as well, makes for a very versitile little light.

jaj14x.jpg

n2emnm.jpg

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm going to boost this old thread, just don't tell a mod. LOL. Doing this because I have the same setup. Ti VME head on a Ti McGizmo 123 pack. Have been using a Malkoff M30, and M60, and want to go to another LED, such as the M31LL or M61LL. Haven't decided yet. Beautiful light with that VME head.

Bill

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the pictures it looks like the Ti finish matches very well. Does that appear to be the case up close?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you can also use it with McGizmo's 2xAA Ti Pak. That's what I do. You can put in a M31w.

Awesome match with the Nichia 119 McGizmo head, since it produces the 210 lumen output, whereas the Nichia 119 tops out at about 120. So if you do want the bigger output (mainly for outdoors use), you just change the standard McGizmo Haiku head with the Ti VME.

Plus, you almost match the warm tint that way! Perfect travel light, you cover low lumen loooong runtime needs but also higher lumen needs just by carrying an extra flashlight bezel/head with you.

Having the AA battery also helps when traveling.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get 2 modes by using the hi-lo ring Malkoff produces while using his own flashlight products (MD2, MD3, MD4).

Also, if you prefer a tailcap setup, you can get the Elzetta flashlight with the hi-lo tailcap. This can be had in a 2x and a 3xC123A configuration.

For the sort of flashlight the Malkoff drop-ins are designed for, I think a 2 mode light is just fine (max blast plus a long runtime option). But for travel, more versatility is helpful since you don't want to be carrying multiple flashlights in that case, nor battery chargers, and also you prefer easy to find battery types.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Regarding use of the VME head, yes it would be nice if Gene made a multi mode drop in for it. Most 26mm drop-ins made by others would not fit the tight fitting VME head, unless the reflector was reduced in diameter.

Bill