Catalyst?

AlphaTea

Enlightened
Generally speaking, it is a small amount of an item added to a larger different item to cause the larger item to change. Usually used in chemical terms. Chemical A (catalyst) is added to Chemical B to make it undergo a reaction or to make it react faster.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
The technical definition of a catalyst is a something that facilitates a reaction, but is not consumed or otherwise changed by the reaction.

For example. Platinum catalysts are commonly used, The catalytic converter on an automobile oxidizes CO (Carbon Mooixide), and unburned hydrocarbons to
to CO2 and Water, and does so at much lower temperatures then are normally required. While an automobile catalytic converter may need to be changed, it is a gram or so
of platinum that probably oxidized literally thousands of Kilograms (tons) of CO and HC's...

There is a catalyst inside most self cleaning ovens, so that instead of burning and releasing smoke when the oven is cleaned, the smoke is oxidized the rest of the way to CO2 and water by the
catalyst, and at far lower temperatures then combusion would normally take place.

many chemical process may be made to go much faster under safer conditions with a catalyst.

The most common catalysts are all members of the platinum metals group.

sc1276

Newly Enlightened
following on from above, the human body has lots of catalysts in it, from the transition metals(like iron) to biological catalysts, like lipases and esterases for intstance. they way that they actually work is always of some debate, and as i don't work in the catalysis field of chemistry i think that i'll leave it there!

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Catalyst" is a term that can be used in just about any environment or situation. For example, here at CPF, we have moderators. Sometimes they moderate. That is, they keep things from getting wild and maintain moderation.

But sometimes they catalyze. That is, they use their knowledge to facilitate discussion and to lubricate the flow of information between members of the forum. And I guess sometimes they just sit and chuckle or shake their heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
PaulW said:
...sometimes they just sit and chuckle or shake their heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty as charged, did it before and after this post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif