Emergency Travel Kit

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened
For many of you there can be that time of year when you're faced with snow ice and cold. Yuk !!!!

I live in Ontario and like it or not it's cold outside right now. Plus for those more local to me you would be aware of snow dumps in London and Sarnia Ontario.

Usually, I have that emergency kit in the Explorer. Booster cables, tow ropes, extra gloves and other warm clothing and many other essential emergency stuff

Ok, so I have a 3AAA LED in the door pocket and that's just about it. Now because of the severe weather, I decided to pack the emergency kit. I'll have a cheap 1MCP thrower and a new 2D LED that I'm getting today :naughty:

Not related to flaslights here's what all I'll have:
  • 3 lights, That cheap thrower, the 3AAA and the new 2D LED and the appropriate chargers, extra batteries where applicable
  • quality booster cables
  • two different types of tow ropes, already been used and proved worthy
  • Fire extinguisher. I've carried one for years
  • extra jump start booster pack. 700 amp
  • Extra gloves, hat, scarf, sweater, warm boots and socks etc.
  • couple of candles (for heat)
  • First aid kit, carried one for years
  • road flares or flashing lights
  • GPS cell phone (thats just automatic). I also benefit with ham radio
  • Blanket
  • Collapsible snow shovel scraper (or is that scrapper)
  • Container of rock salt.
  • Extra windshield washer fluid
  • non-perishable snacks Granola bars
  • bottles of water but pack them daily so they don't freeze
All in all, that's a basic emergency kit and there can be variences between kits.

if you're warm and hydrated that's number one.

Make sure your vehicle's service is up to par

Always keep your tank as full as possible and use gasline antifreeze

The older you get the more you prepare

I have an Explorer SUV and we all know about the rear hatch, but I found that by keeping everything as close to me as possible Driver's rear passenger door and keeping a back seat down, I have better access to anything and everything in that kit.

Some of the preparation may be over-kill in some eyes. But when a freak blizzard hits your area overkill can be good, especially if there's more than one person and if you're stuck over night.

Use products like Armor-al to wipe along the weather striping of the doors. The silicone in the Armor-al will prevent the doors from sticking and freezing and prevents the weather striping from hardening.

Has anyone here had these kits before where the kit really paid for itself at one point during a storm? Or, is there something that you can think of that might have helped you out?

I also have those cheap little 75watt AC inverters for the cigar lighter port