LS4 Design Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this has been answered elsewhere, I apologize. I don't remember seeing anything about this before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Why not use a 5W LS for the LS4? It could be configured to run underpowered and produce the same light levels as the current LS4 design (with "tint control" ensuring similar color). The additional value would be on Boost; 700mah would than drive the 5W LS at spec and produce a huge blast of light, albeit temporarily. Considering that Boost is of such a short duration, heat wouldn't be of such an issue as typically is in a 5W.

Peter, I'd love to hear your comments on this. Just trying to educate myself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LukeK

Enlightened
Congratulations -- you've just described the LS5 (The more expensive, big brother to the LS4). It will be produced sometime after the LS4, I think I heard something about December??

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I believe (and I stand to be corrected) that Peter said something to the effect that the mean time between failures of the 5 watt LS components was not up to par when he first started the LS4 project and that the goal was a very small, lightweight light. If the Alzheimers hasn't kicked in, I think that he also said that 1 cell would not provide the run time he wanted. This is all from memory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif . I've been told that I have a memory like a steel trap ... old and rusty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif so someone out there correct me if I'm wrong

mistertech

Newly Enlightened
I understand what your asking for because I would like the same thing.

I would like to see the LS4 and the LS5 combined into the same light.

What I mean is this:

Make the LS5 run with 1 battery so it's short, and expandable similar to the LS to accomidate the 2 battery cylindar for the big lumens that some people desire (myself included... I want the best of both worlds). But keep the same head. That way, someone who purchases a 1 battery "system" could upgrade it to a 2 battery system with enhanced brightness if so desired.

I would like the operation to be this:
get a single cell system and make it only able to run 1W for day to day use and 2W for bursts (maybe some additional graduations in between) that way you would kill the battery so quickly, and if you get the 2 battery cylindar, make it a 3W light, with all of the current LS5 specs.

Just my thoughts. I think it would be value added versus having to fork out so much cash for 2 lights.... one could spend more on one light and justify it more.

At least for me, it would be the ultimate EDC light and tacticle rather than still having 2 different lights.

83Venture

Enlightened
I like the power adjust feature on the LS4, but since I already have a LSH-S as EDC I may just wait for the LS5 to get the adjustable power feature along with the 5W LED. Limited funds + premium prices = can't have both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Target markets are different for the LS4 and LS5. The real work on the LS5 will be after the LS4 is on the market, as Peter mentioned in the LS4 topic.

LS4 = EDC light

LS5 = Task/tactical/mission light for professionals (LEOs, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.