Recieved my Pelican M6 and...

E

EchoSierraTwo

I like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif For $30.00 it is a nice brite (for an ican) light. Surprisingly brite. I am testing it out today as a back up for my current EDC, Arc LSH-P. I have to admit it is a bit long, slightly bulky and weighs in a bit more than my LSH-P. Other than that it is a great light for the money and will pobably go in my B.O.B.(bail out bag) I was thinking about Modding it but it really is nice the way it is. What I will do is purchase another one (this one in black) and mod that. Any suggestions? I have heard of the McModules, etc. can anyone point me to a thread that has specific information on that? To the Mods: I know this is an Iffy post it covers alot. If you feel that It does not belong here, my appologies. I did not want to post again in another forum and be in further violation. sometimes its a bit confusing on where things should go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanx

batterystation

Enlightened
I bought my McModule from Mr.Bulk. It is the brightest thing I have now. It is so bright you have to keep Excedrines handy if you look at it. Instant headache!!!
That is bright.

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
batterystation said:
I bought my McModule from Mr.Bulk. It is the brightest thing I have now. It is so bright you have to keep Excedrines handy if you look at it. Instant headache!!!
That is bright.

[/ QUOTE ]Hey Kevin it was actually you that I bought the M6 from. Thanks again brother. I have seen Mr.Bulk roaming these forums I will give him a look see. Thanks

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen a lot of talk about McModules. I even visited Mr. Bulks webpage. So far, I have not been able to find the prices for the McModule mod everyone is talking about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places....anyone have a link with prices on it?

mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

unnerv

Enlightened
There was a list that Mr. Bulk was working from that I think numbered over 100. If you were not on the list, it might be sometime before one becomes available. If you are fairly handy, you can order the parts from the Sandwich Shoppe and assemble it for yourself. That is what I ended up doing since I didn't think I would have a chance to get in on the mod before Mr. Bulk ran out of Luxeons.

sotyakr

Enlightened
My two just arrived from Ottumwa (thanks Kevin!) on the doorstep this morning. I'm keeping one (silver), and the other (black) goes to my work supe.

I must say, Pelican has done a noticeable job of cleaning up the machining of the PM6 since it was first introduced. The knurling is much less coarse and there are no major tool marks or glitches on the barrel (at least on the two I have in my hands). The facets on the head and barrel also look much cleaner than on the original and the details make it look like they completely changed the machining of the exterior. Out of the box, switch and head operation are still a bit "grindy", but some lube and use should smooth that out. The beam looks just as good, if not a bit better (rounder hotspot), but I guess that's still a crap shoot. I'm sure Surefire still has nothing to worry about, but the improvements Pelican has made are really appreciated!

Momentary switch operation also seems to be better, although I'll probably swap out the clickie (and B270 lens) out of my old PM6 (at least until Flashlightlens.com brings out their new, improved one). The new holster is slimmer, and for some reason longer. It also has a plastic sleeve which is apparently included to reduce wear on the holster's liner material. The PM6 really looks good in silver, and it'll be my regular user while the older one goes into the car.

Glad I picked up another one, and I'm sure I'll have to get a McModule some day...

Nick B

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a 1 watt module for my M6 from McGizmo that I am very impressed with.

You can find the info in buy/sell/trade lights but I don't know how to post a link

Nick

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
yam said:
I have seen a lot of talk about McModules. I even visited Mr. Bulks webpage. So far, I have not been able to find the prices for the McModule mod everyone is talking about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places....anyone have a link with prices on it?

mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah same here. i need to brush up on the soldering skills before I attempt to purchase the parts. But I think i may have to. wish me luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Yam and Furious Tiger,

I have two 1W R2H's mounted on PM6 modules but have yet to add the downBoy drivers. These can be built to suit but I would recommend either 400 mA for good bright and excellent run time or 700 mA for max bright at the expense of some run time. Roy has posted run times for both configurations. I am swamped to the point I have not offered some more build to suits on the B/S/T but if either of YOU want one of these ($95) send me an e-mail. If you are after 5W's contact Mr. Bulk.

I must say though that if you do chose to do it yourself, a higher level of satisfaction can be obtained.

- Don

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo,

Thanks very much for the offer. Right now though, that's way out of my budget (been un-employed since May). As far as me doing it myself.....I do want it to work ya know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyhow, some day I will be able to afford to get more into this hobby. Hopefully even get some modified lights (or drop in's) as they look really good....I'm envious.

For now, it's a real learning experience being here on CPF. As a long time Internet user, this forum is one of the best I have seen. Good folks, good conversations and good information.

Thanks again for the offer...someday I may just take you up on it.
mike

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Yam and Furious Tiger,

I have two 1W R2H's mounted on PM6 modules but have yet to add the downBoy drivers. These can be built to suit but I would recommend either 400 mA for good bright and excellent run time or 700 mA for max bright at the expense of some run time. Roy has posted run times for both configurations. I am swamped to the point I have not offered some more build to suits on the B/S/T but if either of YOU want one of these ($95) send me an e-mail. If you are after 5W's contact Mr. Bulk.

I must say though that if you do chose to do it yourself, a higher level of satisfaction can be obtained.

- Don

[/ QUOTE ] thats how I feel as well. Thanks for the offer. I will try it myself. Quick question cause I know you are busy. It is unreasonalble to think that a newbie like myself could do it without any issues?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
F. Tiger,

I believe Wayne Y. has things laid out on his site pretty good but I can't answer your question since I don't know what your skill levels and tools available are. The build is pretty straight forward but does require a certain amount of soldering skills as well as a good small soldering pen. I have never let ignorance or even stupidity stop me and the path has been rewarding. Much of what I know has been self taught with some lessons well learned. I no doubt have bad habits and misconceptions that I will carry into my next life but maybe I can fix them then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And if there is only this life, like Franks S. used to sing, I'm do'in it my way. Heck, I figure a bad example is at least an example and others can learn from it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Don