Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi CA1 AA light

MK9

Newly Enlightened
After playing around with my new Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi CA1 I came up with a few observations.

Even though there is a slight gritty feeling in the threads (For the price I expected a very smooth threading action) The fit and finish is quite nice. It is so pretty and shiny I could hang it on my Chrismas tree and it would blend right in.

The knurling is much smoother to the touch than it looks in the picture. For the amount of knurling I expected it to have a better grip. A deeper cross knurl may have been better for that. IMO, Even though there is no knurling on my Preon II the grip is better. It may be from the HA or the actual surface finish of the body. I'm not sure about that one. Overall the Ti CA1 has a very solid feel to it.

The light is nice. I really like the XP-G led. Even though the throw suffers; this little light illuninates my neighbor across the street (about 35 yards) very well.

The low mode (3 lumens) is brighter than I expected. It seems brighter than the specs state. It seems brighter than my QAA2 on the 4 lumen setting. The medium (32 lumens) is a very a nice mid level brightness. The think Fenix's decision to make the new LD20 with the 30 Lumen setting was a good move. More on that when I aquire one.

Conclusion:

I have used it in rain, freezing cold, at work in a machine shop and at family gatherings. I have dropped it, smacked it up against things and scratched the driver side door of my car with it.

I think this is a show piece that works well for every day use... if you don't mind scratching up your nice, pretty $50+ light. That bugs the beegeezers out of me. So now; I have the cheapo light, that came free with the Ti CA1, on my keychain for everyday use and my wife uses the Ti CA1 on her night stand.

That is the only use that light will ever see again.

If you have money to burn get this light and use it a lot.

If not, buy two iTP A3 lights and extra batteries.