Sunwayman V Series: Infinitely Variable Control Ring

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Was on their website today and saw this: "Magnetic Control Fully Variable Output Series – Come on Stage Now!" (with pics of V10A, V20A and V10R). Battery Junction has the V10R with full description. This is the first time I've seen this series; did I miss the intro? - wouldn't be the first time. Looks promising!

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Sunwayman V Series?

Below are all cached posts from November 2 2010 through to the end of February 2011:
No information was lost in this thread when the lights went out at CPF...

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Re: Sunwayman V Series?

Written by jsr on 12-17-2010 07:42 PM GMT

Oh, very interesting. Looks just like an M10R, but I guess now it has infinite variability instead of set levels. I wonder if the output is slightly less on Li-Ion than with a primary CR123 like the M10R.

Written by JA(me)S on 12-17-2010 08:11 PM GMT

jsr said:
I wonder if the output is slightly less on Li-Ion than with a primary CR123 like the M10R.
I would imagine your postulation to be correct. However, it looks like it is variable down to 1 lumen - and no mention of any strobe! I would imagine your postulation to be correct. However, it looks like it is variable down to 1 lumen - and no mention of any strobe! :thumbsup:

Written by boulder on 12-17-2010 10:19 PM GMT

looks promising. so who will be the first?? :sssh:

Written by Ray_of_Light on 12-18-2010 03:27 AM GMT

Next Monday I'll see if I can preorder some from the usual dealer in the UK. I have almost all the line-up from Sunway since they are built and designed so well.

I have a first generation Nitecore IFE1 and the SF T1A with "infinite" brightness adjustment. I would like to know if the Sunwayman has linear (IFE1) or logarithmic (T1A) brightness regulation. I guess I'll check by myself - as soon it will be made available in Europe.

Regards

Anthony

Written by AardvarkSagus on 12-18-2010 06:50 AM GMT

Wow. This one does sound like it will be quite a big hit. Anyone have any pictures to share yet?

Written by JA(me)S on 12-18-2010 08:34 AM GMT

AardvarkSagus said:
Anyone have any pictures to share yet?
From Sunwayman's website: From Sunwayman's website:

sunwaymanvseries.th.jpg

sunwaymanvseries.jpg

And from Battery Junction:

sunwaymanv10r.jpg

- Jas.

a%3E

sunwaymanvseries.jpg

Written by GadgetGeek on 12-18-2010 11:09 AM GMT

Very interesting indeed. I'll wait until BJ has the single and double aa units in stock. :thumbsup:

Written by jellydonut on 12-18-2010 11:11 AM GMT

The V20A looks fantastic. I only wish these were XM-L and not XP-G R5. Still, I'll buy one pending good reviews. Or two, one for me, one for a friend. :)

Written by NoFair on 12-18-2010 12:35 PM GMT

If they are easy to mod or they make one with a neutral white emitter this looks very tempting :D

Since I put neutral xp-gs in my Arc6 and HDS I haven't really been wanting any other single cell lights ;)

Written by cue003 on 12-18-2010 09:24 PM GMT

These do look intersting. I will have to pic up a couple and check them out.

Re: Sunwayman V Series
Written by Burgess on 12-18-2010 09:40 PM GMT

From Battery Junction website:

Sunwayman V10R

Min: 1 Lumen (35hrs)

Sunwayman M10R

Min: 4 Lumen (70hrs)

:confused:

:huh2:

_

Re: Sunwayman V Series: Infinitely Variable Control Ring
Written by JA(me)S on 12-18-2010 10:12 PM GMT

Burgess,

I did the exact same comparison and came to same conclusion as you... :shrug:

Matt now has the light listed in the marketplace - perhaps he can shed some (ahem) light on the subject?

Written by Helmut.G on Yesterday 04:29 AM GMT

well I'd guess the infinitely variable models use PWM dimming.

Written by KarstGhost on Yesterday 09:13 AM GMT

These look great, I've been looking for a control ring UI, if its noticeable PWM though then I'm out.

Written by st_burt on Yesterday 04:15 PM GMT

I hope the V10A takes 14500s. That might be the best light ever for me.

Written by jsr on Yesterday 04:23 PM GMT

I believe it was stated in another thread (the mfr's thread I think) that the V10A takes 14500s, but it won't be any brighter than with NiMH (which means the driver is a buck/boost so it's fully regulated on both battery types...a good and bad I guess).

Not sure why the V10R has such dramatically lower runtime on a lower low...driver efficiency must go down to accomodate the wider switching range, but it shouldn't go down so much as to make those results listed.

As for PWM, keep in mind that "current regulation" is just a filtered PWM...so regardless, it still uses a SMPS (switch-mode power supply) regulator to do the dimming.

Written by octaf on Yesterday 04:38 PM GMT

Ray_of_Light said:
I would like to know if the Sunwayman has linear (IFE1) or logarithmic (T1A) brightness regulation. I guess I'll check by myself - as soon it will be made available in Europe.

Regards

Anthony

Yes, Anthony.

That's what I'd like to know myself !!!

Jetbeam's new coming "TCR2", too.

Unless these companies say it's exponential, I'd just assume it's same as infilux which is by linear curve, and that would be very disappointing. :devil:

Written by octaf on Yesterday 05:14 PM GMT

20101220085548.gif

20101220090047.jpg

20101220090582.jpg

These three lights looks amazingly similar, and make me guess that these three have the same origin. :)

Written by Beamhead on Yesterday 05:22 PM GMT

What is your point octaf?

Written by octaf on Unknown

Beamhead said:
What is your point octaf?

Hello, Beamhead.

My point is that, I wish that these lights come out with improved brightness control of logarithmic scale like Surefire T1A, and can't deny that SF is always steps ahead.

What I heard so far is that Jetbeam and Nitecore are eventually same company, and one can easilly assume that the enginner who made the other sunwayman V series could have some sort of relationship or background at Jetbeam/Nitecore, or vise versa...

Written by Beamhead on Unknown

octaf said:
Hello, Beamhead.

My point is that, I wish that these lights come out with improved brightness control of logarithmic scale like Surefire T1A, and can't deny that SF is always steps ahead.
Agreed but look at the cost differential, and why bring up the whole SF vs. the world debate? If you don't like these lights don't buy them, there are plenty of high dollar shiny lights to satisfy your needs. Agreed but look at the cost differential, and why bring up the whole SF vs. the world debate? If you don't like these lights don't buy them, there are plenty of high dollar shiny lights to satisfy your needs.

octaf said:
What I heard so far is that Jetbeam and Nitecore are eventually same company, and one can easilly assume that the enginner who made the other sunwayman V series could have some sort of relationship or background at Jetbeam/Nitecore, or vise versa...
That may be true but why does it matter? And assuming can get sticky. That may be true but why does it matter? And assuming can get sticky.

Written by octaf on Unknown

Beamhead said:
Agreed but look at the cost differential, and why bring up the whole SF vs. the world debate? If you don't like these lights don't buy them, there are plenty of high dollar shiny lights to satisfy your needs.

That may be true but why does it matter? And assuming can get sticky.
I guess they will catch up much sooner than we think, and that's progress, and I'd love to see that. Did I sound so serious? I guess they will catch up much sooner than we think, and that's progress, and I'd love to see that. Did I sound so serious? :wave:

Written by JA(me)S on Unknown

Helmut.G said:
well I'd guess the infinitely variable models use PWM dimming.
I posed this question to Matt at BJ, his response; "No, the V10 uses a completely different circuit design but it's not PWM - it's constant current like all Sunwayman lights." I posed this question to Matt at BJ, his response; "No, the V10 uses a completely different circuit design but it's not PWM - it's constant current like all Sunwayman lights."

Ray_of_Light said:
I would like to know if the Sunwayman has linear (IFE1) or logarithmic (T1A) brightness regulation.
Showing my ignorance, and hoping I'm not the only one - can someone explain the difference in the two approaches (pros and cons)? Showing my ignorance, and hoping I'm not the only one - can someone explain the difference in the two approaches (pros and cons)?

Written by HKJ on Unknown

JA(me)S said:
linear / logarithmic

Showing my ignorance, and hoping I'm not the only one - can someone explain the difference in the two approaches (pros and cons)?
linear is a scale like 1 2 3 4 5 6 i.e. the you linear is a scale like 1 2 3 4 5 6 i.e. the you add a constant to get to next value, here it is 1

logarithmic is a scale like 1 2 4 8 16 32, i.e. you multiply by a constant to get to next value, here it is 2

The logarithmic scale does much better fit the way the eye perceive brightness, each step on a logarithmic scale looks to be about the same brightness change. I.e. the change from 1 to 2 looks the same as the change from 16 to 32.

With linear all adjustment is packed together at the low end, the change from 1 to 2 looks to be the same size as the change from 3 to 6, but the change from 3 to 6 is half the scale and from 1 to 2 is only 1/6 the scale.

Written by Helmut.G on Unknown

examples for linear scales are
Code:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
... or ... or
Code:
0.2 0.4 0.6 0.8 1.0 1.2 1.4
... while logarithmic scales could be ... while logarithmic scales could be
Code:
1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 4096
... or ... or
Code:
0.001 0.01 0.1 1 10 100 1000 10000 100000 1000000
a linear scale has the same distance between values, a logarithmic scale has the same distance between the powers of the values (I hope this makes sense). a linear scale has the same distance between values, a logarithmic scale has the same distance between the powers of the values (I hope this makes sense).

the above example
Code:
1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 4096
can also be written as can also be written as
Code:
2^0 2^1 2^2 2^3 2^4 2^5 2^6 2^7 2^8 2^9 2^10 2^11 2^12
and and
Code:
0.001 0.01 0.1 1 10 100 1000 10000 100000 1000000
as as
Code:
10^-3 10^-2 10^-1 10^0 10^1 10^2 10^3 10^4 10^5 10^6
for a flashlight with a dial brightness selector (and any other multi-mode light too), a logarithmic scale is good because that's the way our eyes perceive brightness.

for example if you have 1 to 100 in steps of 1 (linear) at the beginning the perceived brightness difference is big (1 to 2, 4 to 5) but as it goes on the difference will look smaller and smaller (you won't see much of a difference between 50 and 51 lumens or 80 and 81) so a huge part of the scale is basically wasted.

with a logarithmic scale you can use the space on the scale better, it would allow better fine-tuning at lower levels and skip the unnecessary fine-tuning at the high end (where you can't see the difference anyway) for that

HJK explains it better :whistle:

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Re:SunwaymanVSeries:InfinitelyVariableControlRing
Written by nekomane on 01-27-2011 01:43 PM GMT

Jackyl said:
How much heat are we talking? It doesn't take much to start the heat coloring process, and I doubt they used better o-rings than buna so I could see that going badly for me. Not to mention damaging the driver / emitter. *snip*
Jackyl, I cannot measure the temperature, but the heat from a small butane blowtorch was high enough to smoke the grease inside the threads. The surface of the Jackyl, I cannot measure the temperature, but the heat from a small butane blowtorch was high enough to smoke the grease inside the threads. The surface of the ring was blackened a bit from the burning wood and rubber around it, but rubbed off easily. Not sure if short bursts of heat will anodize the material but I'm no expert.

You can remove the PCB before opening the parts to avoid heat damage, but like you say, the emitter and o-ring may go :poof:

Beamhead said:
Hey now...........................I resemble that remark. :whoopin: :p I would use loctite krytox.
You have a CPF color scheme named after you, and now you are verbed You have a CPF color scheme named after you, and now you are verbed :cool: :nana:

I believe gunga coined it here.

Joking aside, wouldn't Krytox be too runny? The original grease has a high viscosity which keeps the ring from moving too easily, and also prevents it from leaking out.

Written by Beamhead on 01-27-2011 02:09 PM GMT

The loctite krytox I use is a grease and holds up fine.

Written by Jackyl on 01-27-2011 02:25 PM GMT

If you weren't heat coloring it and using butane, I'm not that concerned and may give it a go. I've heat anodized various thicknesses and know that it doesn't take much to get it to start to go gold...you're probably at or under 500 deg. in any one spot. Thanks for the info.

Written by nekomane on 01-27-2011 07:41 PM GMT

Beamhead, thank you for the link. The stuff is a bit pricy, so I will try the Red n Tacky and see how it does first.

Jackyl, I would love to see what colors you could apply to this light.

BTW, the o-ring inside the head looks close to OD 16mm, ID 14mm.

Good luck and don't junk the light!

Written by Jackyl on 01-28-2011 06:10 AM GMT

nekomane said:
Beamhead, thank you for the link. The stuff is a bit pricy, so I will try the Red n Tacky and see how it does first.

http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/r...lAR/Anodizing/

Some torch, some electro-chem bath.

Written by okwchin on 01-28-2011 09:28 PM GMT

nekomane said:
Mine came back today too.

The problem I had on CR123s (the brightness reaching the highest before ring is fully turned) is fixed.

I guess the light was replaced because the ring feels slightly grittier.

Some polishing fixed that.

polishm.jpg

Also, the previous light I had only had 1 magnet (which strangely did not affect operation of the ring), but now it has 2 :confused:

Having 2 magnets means the circuit board can be installed either way and still function correctly. The first run V10R needed the circuit to be orientated the right direction, but mechanically the head allowed for both directions, so maybe this is a mechanical solution saving time on the manufacturing side of things by not having to fix lights that were installed reverse?

Or maybe im totally wrong, and its related to the improved magnetic control?

Written by Paul6ppca on 01-30-2011 09:02 AM GMT

I received my new v10r al version from the 2nd batch this Friday, A very cool and well made light.No flickering or preflash with rcr or primary battery.Beautiful beam ,no artifacts.Very smooth fluid rotatingring to adjust brightness.no freeplay. Flawless finish type III.

My question is why is the lowest setting not as low as the ti version?I thought it was the same circuitry?

Mine is only as low as my nitecore D10, 3-5 lumens by eye. not sub lumen like ti version video on you tube.anyone else have theirs to compare?

I really like this light,I just thought it would have similar low output like Ti. On max it is much brighter than my ti Fenix PD 10 rated at 216 lumens!

The last 20 degrees of rotation does not show a visable difference.

Written by hegel on 01-31-2011 01:59 PM GMT

Paul6ppca said:
My question is why is the lowest setting not as low as the ti version?I thought it was the same circuitry?
I am also very interested in an answer... I am also very interested in an answer...

Written by ijha on 02-10-2011 07:53 AM GMT

Hi, Everyone.

I wonder if any of you still has a flickering issue with new, fixed V10R Ti. I got mine about 10 days ago and I noticed flickering in low to medium mode. I'm pretty sure mine is from the fixed version. I requested an RMA from the seller. I just wanted to figure out if it's just bad luck for me or not.

Best,

Written by selfbuilt on 02-17-2011 07:25 AM GMT

My review of the V10A is now up:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/309976Sunwayman V10A (1xAA, XP-G R5, Continuously-Variable) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

The original sample Sunwayman sent me had flickering on the low-med modes on 14500. The replacement sample from the second batch had no flickering on any battery (and was used for the 14500 runtimes).

Cheers! :wave:

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Re: Sunwayman VSeries: Infinitely Variable Control Ring
Written by ckc on 12-24-2010 08:15 AM GMT

My AV software is going nuts on Sunwayman's site..

Danger: AVG Active Surf-Shield has detected active threats on this page and has blocked access for your protection.

The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue.

URL: www.sunwayman.com/media/pixviewer.swf?728311835

Name: Trojan horse Exploit_c.TKU

Written by octaf on 12-24-2010 09:45 AM GMT

Thanks HKJ & JSR.

Even though there may be differences in your views, it really helps me understanding PWM & current-control. :)

cheers,

Re: Sunwayman VSeries
Written by Beamhead on 12-24-2010 03:23 PM GMT

Nice setup Nekomane, I have a woodworking bench with wood vises, strap wrenches and many other devices, I have heated and separated some very difficult K series heads but this little booger was the worst, mine had a ton of loctite in it, I heated it so much the PCB must had poofed because the light would only come on low and no other modes, so I took two large curved channel locks to it and finally got it to give but not before ob-longing the head where it screws on to the body.

Maybe when I get some time I'll post my pictorial on how NOT to do it. :p

Beamhead, sorry to hear. Hope you didn't scratch up anything. The key is to secure the parts as tightly as possible, but the small size of the light makes this rather difficult. I used a pair of wood blocks (with rubber bands as protection) on the bottom half to secure in a vise.

My light may have had less thread locker than yours too.

79241481.jpg

Written by recDNA on 12-24-2010 05:47 PM GMT

octaf said:
:thumbsup:

This looks much better than Jetbeam TCR2 in my opinion.

Nice !
I agree I agree but the 310 ANSI lumens sold me on the Jetbeam. It's on its way to me now.

Re: Sunwayman VSeries?
Written by recDNA on 12-24-2010 07:36 PM GMT

lerhodes said:
I just received my TCR2 JetBeam today from Lightjunction. It is simply beautiful. The titanium body is well done and the infinite light ramping is smooth and does not shutter or flash. Very low lumens (.005) on low up to a nice max of 310. Counter clockwise and you have the strobe. 2 quick turns clockwise and you have SOS. It is the best EDC I have ever used. Odd it is ranked using a 1350 mah CR123 with 35 minutes life on the S2 LED. I use 1550 Duracell or Panasonic so lifetime should be longer. Most of all it has a perfectly round spot with a very nice white light with little artifacts.
Do you know how to measure amps at the tailcap? In a few days I can do it myself Do you know how to measure amps at the tailcap? In a few days I can do it myself but I'm anxious to know.

I was thrilled to read the tint is white - not green!

Written by octaf on 12-24-2010 09:13 PM GMT

recDNA said:
I agree but the 310 ANSI lumens sold me on the Jetbeam. It's on its way to me now.
Yeah, I know. Yeah, I know.

My TCR2 is on the way, too.

I probably get this Ti V10R also, if sunwayman helps locating the right dealer for me, so far, unsuccessful. :devil:

Written by maskman on 12-24-2010 09:24 PM GMT

I've been curious about the V10R's minimum lumen output since reading about Beamhead's bum unit.Nekomane, or anyone else that's received a V10R whatsay, can it get down to 1 lumen at it's lowest setting?

Written by Draven451 on 12-24-2010 11:29 PM GMT

This looks like a great light!

Can anyone confirm that the V10R can use rechargeable cells? I don't see anything posted on Sunwayman's website. Anyone that own one can chime in if they have used RCR cells? I think I am going to cancel my replacement M10R for the V10R if I could use RCR cells.

Thanks!

Written by maskman on 12-25-2010 12:19 AM GMT

Draven451 said:
This looks like a great light!

Can anyone confirm that the V10R can use rechargeable cells? I don't see anything posted on Sunwayman's website. Anyone that own one can chime in if they have used RCR cells? I think I am going to cancel my replacement M10R for the V10R if I could use RCR cells.

Thanks!
You can find the answer to your question in post #21 of this thead. You can find the answer to your question in post #21 of this thead. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...T-CONTROL-RING

Written by JA(me)S on 12-25-2010 12:20 AM GMT

Draven451 said:
Can anyone confirm that the V10R can use rechargeable cells?...Anyone that own one can chime in if they have used RCR cells?
I do not yet own this light. However, with a working voltage of 0.9-4.2V, RCR's should be fine (protected only recommended). I do not yet own this light. However, with a working voltage of 0.9-4.2V, RCR's should be fine (protected only recommended). :thumbsup:

Written by Draven451 on 12-25-2010 01:09 AM GMT

Thanks for the help guys! Ihave made a request order the V10R as my replacement. Can't wait till it arrives.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Written by on 12-25-2010 09:11 AM GMT

maskman said:
*snip*can it get down to 1 lumen at it's lowest setting?
Can't measure lumens, Can't measure lumens, but here is a comparison shot with a Zebralight H51 which claims to be 0.2 lumens on the L2 (lowest) setting.

ASA400, WB Daylight, 1/5 f5.6, appox 8" from the shiny bathtub wall.

98341260.jpg

The H51 has a wider flood which does not show up in the pic.

Written by maskman on 12-25-2010 09:33 AM GMT

Can't measure lumens, but here is a comparison shot with a Zebralight H51 which claims to be 0.2 lumens on the L2 (lowest) setting.
Thank you Thank you Nekomane. I appreciate your efforts to take the comparison photo and it answers my question.

Written by okwchin on 12-25-2010 12:36 PM GMT

Nekomane - Excellent pics of the takedown of the torch. But I must ask - did you actually get the emitter off?

Communication in the CPFMP from the rep for sunwayman responds to the emitter question by saying that they dont use thermal paste, they use thermal adhesive...

And what was holding that black plastic led cover in place? Looks like it was just sitting on the emitter, and why did the head need to be taken apart further to be able to get it out, did the black plastic need wedging out from the side.

Sorry, im just curious because an emitter swap is high on my list of things to do if i was to get this torch.

And also - It was said that the ring control is linear. So we have another infilux, not a titan interms of control.

Thanks

Written by on 12-25-2010 01:28 PM GMT

okwchin,

I have not removed the emitter yet, but am sure it is 'paste' and not any kind of adhesive.

52318760.jpg

Maybe the manufacturer is talking about how the emitter is secured to the disc (heatsink)?

The black plastic cover floats on top of the LED, and is pressed down by the reflector. The head needs dissasembling because the plastic cover's diameter is larger than the opening.

As long as you get the head apart, and can remove/replace the LED from the heatsink (or prepare a similar disc), an emitter swap dose not seem difficult.

What kind of LED are you planning to use?

Written by okwchin on 12-25-2010 01:43 PM GMT

now that picture says it all!!! Looksvery thermal greasy to me :D

My understanding is the manufacturer was saying how the led is secured to the heatsink, whether the thermal conductive medium is a permanent or a removable material as shown in your pictures.(Edit: re-read your post.. Now I understand you meant, how the emitter is fixed to the star/circle, while I considered the alum torch body to the be heatsink(which is pretty much soldered, not glued)) Regardless, Given the english/misunderstandings that understandably can take place, maybe they could have been referring to the whole head being lock-tited and therefore the "emitter is glued in"

My idea of what Id be replacing it with would have been a

R4 4A XP-G 14mm base.

Thanks for the last pic! just too awesome!.

All i need now is a confirmation of whether its linear or log control. Beamhead in post #40 said linear in this thread, so linear like the infilux? cos that would suck :( However, more importantly, is it difficult to actually obtain low to low/med levels, and is the ring easy enough to control accurately. For example, does the slightest shift cause a significant brightness change.

Written by on 12-25-2010 02:11 PM GMT

Oops, sorry thought someonehad answered that.

Linear.

The ring rotates about 100 degrees.

From low, you can see the brightness changing rapidly for the first 45 degrees or so. The last 15, though there is a difference, is nothing as dramatic as the beginning.

The ring feels firm enough not to move easily, but if you are concerned, the M10R may be better?

BTW, the stock heatsink is under 13mm. You will need to trim down that 14mm base.

Written by jsr on 12-25-2010 05:49 PM GMT

HKJ said:
In lights there are seldom used filters for pwm designs, the eye does the averaging.

A switch mode power supply (smps) usual adjust the output voltage, but can just as easily adjust the output current, that depends on how the feedback is made.

The name smps is usual used about circuits that switches the voltage on/off into a inductor. The inductor will the transform the current and voltage to another level. This voltage transformation can only be done with a inductor (or transformer), no other component has the ability.

Saying "PWM is NOT a regulator design" is misleading, pwm can easily be used to regulate stuff and not only smps, but lot of other things
PWM is NOT a regulator design. It is used to adjust the output of a regulator topology. Yes, it can be used in PWM is NOT a regulator design. It is used to adjust the output of a regulator topology. Yes, it can be used in other designs, but it in itself is not a power regulation topology.

A charge pump is a simple Capacitor-based SMPS that can utilize PWM to control and adjust output.

Regardless of what is adjusted in the end, it is voltage that is adjusted to adjust the output. The feedback will go into a diff amp where it will be compared to a reference voltage. Current is adjusted by continuously varying the voltage based on the feedback circuit.

The filtering is typically a simple capacitor at the output. Full swings from zero to Vf is what typically people see and are annoyed by.

As HKJ mentioned, cost is the main factor...driven by space and performance (efficiency) also.

Written by HKJ on 12-26-2010 02:38 AM GMT

jsr said:
PWM is NOT a regulator design. It is used to adjust the output of a regulator topology. Yes, it can be used in other designs, but it in itself is not a power regulation topology.
Then the microprocessor controlling the pwm is the regulator. It does not really change anything, pwm can be regulated. On flashlights this is usual a open loop regulation (i.e. no feedback), Then the microprocessor controlling the pwm is the regulator. It does not really change anything, pwm can be regulated. On flashlights this is usual a open loop regulation (i.e. no feedback), but for other purposes pwm is often used with closed loop regulation.

jsr said:
A charge pump is a simple Capacitor-based SMPS that can utilize PWM to control and adjust output.
In my book a charge pump is not a SMPS, it work on a different principle and you do not use pwm with a charge pump. In my book a charge pump is not a SMPS, it work on a different principle and you do not use pwm with a charge pump.

jsr said:
Regardless of what is adjusted in the end, it is voltage that is adjusted to adjust the output. The feedback will go into a diff amp where it will be compared to a reference voltage. Current is adjusted by continuously varying the voltage based on the feedback circuit.
Voltage or current, it does not really matter, because the conversion from one to another is only a resistor. If you want to make a constant current output (i.e. a led driver), you simply take the feedback voltage from a small Voltage or current, it does not really matter, because the conversion from one to another is only a resistor. If you want to make a constant current output (i.e. a led driver), you simply take the feedback voltage from a small series resistor. This will make the output current regulated for all practical and theoretical purposes.

jsr said:
The filtering is typically a simple capacitor at the output.
PWM is nearly always without filtering in flashlights, there are PWM is nearly always without filtering in flashlights, there are some technical reasons for that (High peak current, more parts).

jsr said:
Full swings from zero to Vf is what typically people see and are annoyed by.
What people see as pwm is huge variations in led current at a low frequency (The voltage need not go to zero). In a few cases this has been causes by the regulation and not by pwm. What people see as pwm is huge variations in led current at a low frequency (The voltage need not go to zero). In a few cases this has been causes by the regulation and not by pwm.

Written by okwchin on 12-26-2010 03:01 PM GMT

Oops, sorry thought someone had answered that.

Linear.

From low, you can see the brightness changing rapidly for the first 45 degrees or so. The last 15, though there is a difference, is nothing as dramatic as the beginning.

The ring feels firm enough not to move easily, but if you are concerned, the M10R may be better?

BTW, the stock heatsink is under 13mm. You will need to trim down that 14mm base.
Thanks for the information. Thanks for the information.

So the first 1/2 of the movement is fast, the last 1/7th is little change? - sounds pretty usable, however I dont know. The M10R is a nice torch regardless, however it seems Ill need to see one in person, which I dont expect to happen here in australia, where I've seen the surefire 6P once in a store, selling for $199 AUD (currently = 200+ USD), let alone any sunwayman torches!

13mm led base, Ok close enough to not be an issue. (edit. actually the emitter I have is on a 13mm base!)

Written by Richwouldnt on 12-26-2010 05:46 PM GMT

Certainly an interesting thread that is teaching me a lot about flashlight LED power control methods. My experience in electronics is a bit out of datebut the first system I worked on in the USN was a Univac 1103A vacuum tube computer at CINCLANTFLT Headquarters in Norfolk. Things have changed a bit since then.

Based on specs I have ordered the Jetbeam TCR2 version of the light. More output and it also apparently has the additional strobe and SOS modes still available if wanted. The designs are so similar though that I presume they likely come out of the same factory. I find it interesting that people want to buy the Sunwayman light and immediately start major modifications to it.

Written by on 12-30-2010 05:09 PM GMT

Just received the V10R Ti today.

I don't want to sound corny, but this is one of the most beautiful lights I have come across.

26507110.jpg

The lowest mode is much lower than the standard V10R, which makes the levels seem more 'logarithmic'. Or maybe it is?
Tint is whiter too. Upon closer inspection, the tint seems the same.

I like the HA version, but this one is definately a keeper.

Parts are swappable.

13623369.jpg

41689494.jpg

19860774.jpg

Written by damn_hammer on 12-30-2010 05:21 PM GMT

nekomane- i haven't seen a picture of the clip for the ti v10r. is the clip ti, or the same one as alu v10r?

Written by on 12-30-2010 05:36 PM GMT

clipo.jpg

Same :ohgeez:

Written by Richwouldnt on 12-30-2010 06:30 PM GMT

Oops, sorry thought someone had answered that.

Linear.

Interesting. The total ring rotation on the Jetbeam TCR2 is about 300 degrees including the beyond detent position for selecting the strobe mode. The ring can vary the LED brightness from completely off to maximum output. Interesting. The total ring rotation on the Jetbeam TCR2 is about 300 degrees including the beyond detent position for selecting the strobe mode. The ring can vary the LED brightness from completely off to maximum output.

Written by octaf on 12-30-2010 10:05 PM GMT

Great pic's.

I'm glad to hear that you're satisfied with Ti version.
Mine is on the way, too and can't wait !

And it is by linear scale, and confirmed by sunwayman.

cheers, :)

Just received the V10R Ti today.

I don't want to sound corny, but this is one of the most beautiful lights I have come across.

26507110.jpg

The lowest mode is much lower than the standard V10R, which makes the levels seem more 'logarithmic'. Or maybe it is?

Tint is whiter too. I like the HA version, but this one is definately a keeper.

Parts are swappable.

13623369.jpg

Written by on 12-31-2010 08:24 AM GMT

octaf said:
*snip*

And it is by linear scale, and confirmed by sunwayman.
Thanks for confirming octaf, Thanks for confirming octaf,

I can barely notice the difference for the last 10 degrees on the brighter end, but compared to the standard V10R, can tweak the output much better anywhere lower.

I've seen your Ti collections in other posts and used to think 'this guy is nuts!'.

Now I understand the allure of Ti. A Jetbeam TCR2 is on the way too! :party:

Written by octaf on 12-31-2010 12:43 PM GMT

I've seen your Ti collections in other posts and used to think 'this guy is nuts!'.
I agree. I agree. :laughing:

And I've got a buddy who's much worse than me ! :devil:

Written by on 01-04-2011 08:51 PM GMT

Lots of viewsbut not many new posts. Anyone else excited about this light?

Written by Zeruel on 01-04-2011 10:31 PM GMT

Just receivedmine 20 minutes ago. Love it. The ring seems to be physically better than TCR2 where it's not as wobbly. No wobbling at all, in fact.

The only thing that makes it incomplete is the lack of a titanium clip.

Last edited:

RobME

Newly Enlightened
this is almost painful to read (but i'm sure it'll all clear up in time) :)

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Re:SunwaymanV Series
Written by octaf on 01-04-2011 11:49 PM GMT

Hello, folks.

I received two Ti V10R today, one for me and the other for my friend.

I feel overall quality is excellent.

And also I feel the overall distance of ring operation is shorter than nitecore infilux, which is much better in my opinion.

Only disappointment I have is I notice a slight flickering in overall span of brightness in both lights I received.

How about yours, folks?

20110105152157.jpg

Written by Beamhead on 01-05-2011 01:45 AM GMT

octaf, my Al V10R would not go as low as advertised and had a noticeable flicker from low to the middle of the range, I sent it back and got another M10R as a replacement.

I have been in contact with BJ and they said the Ti V10R would go so low that you can look directly into the emitter, do yours?

I ordered a Ti V10R and if it has the same issues as the Al version it will go back.

Written by juplin on 01-05-2011 02:04 AM GMT

octaf said:
Hello, folks.

Only disappointment I have is I notice a slight flickering in overall span of brightness in both lights I received.

How about yours, folks?
The flickering issues were also reported by several V10R Ti users in China. The flickering issues were also reported by several V10R Ti users in China.
http://translate.google.com/translat...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8

However, the keyword "flickering" is translated as "flashing" or "flash" by Google.

I suspect the flickering is caused by the magnetic control ring instead of PWM frequency.

Written by derfyled on 01-05-2011 03:02 AM GMT

juplin said:
I suspect the flickering is caused by the magnetic control ring instead of PWM frequency.
As far as I know, As far as I know, Sunwayman don't use PWM at all.

Written by juplin on 01-05-2011 03:18 AM GMT

derfyled said:
As far as I know, Sunwayman don't use PWM at all.
Are Are you sure Sunwayman don't use PWM even with the infinitely variable dimming version?

Did someone verify this by oscilloscope?

Could it be possible that the PWM is hidden by the filtering capicitor in the output stage?

Written by octaf on 01-05-2011 03:48 AM GMT

Beamhead said:
octaf, my Al V10R would not go as low as advertised and had a noticeable flicker from low to the middle of the range, I sent it back and got another M10R as a replacement.

I have been in contact with BJ and they said the Ti V10R would go so low that you can look directly into the emitter, do yours?

I ordered a Ti V10R and if it has the same issues as the Al version it will go back.
Low Low version of Ti V10R is really low, so you can directly look into the LED, no problem.

I cautiously assume that flickering is a general issue or problem of this light, cause both of 2 random samples I've got have that issue. My friend and I are considering returning them. We'll see.

Written by octaf on 01-05-2011 03:52 AM GMT

juplin said:
The flickering issues were also reported by several V10R Ti users in China.
http://translate.google.com/translat...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8

However, the keyword "flickering" is translated as "flashing" or "flash" by Google.

Thank Thank you, juplin.

Then, I guess this is a general problem of this light or version.

Written by derfyled on 01-05-2011 05:49 AM GMT

juplin said:
Are you sure Sunwayman don't use PWM even with the infinitely variable dimming version?

Did someone verify this by oscilloscope?

Could it be possible that the PWM is hidden by the filtering capicitor in the output stage?
The only way to verify it would be to shake if fast on low and see if there's a strobe effect... I should have mine soon, I'll let The only way to verify it would be to shake if fast on low and see if there's a strobe effect... I should have mine soon, I'll let you know...

Re:SunwaymanV Series:InfinitelyVariableControl Ring
Written by run4jc on 01-05-2011 05:59 AM GMT

Zeruel said:
The only thing that makes it incomplete is the lack of a titanium clip.
I have one on the way, too. Does it look like there's a place to tap holes and install a McGizmo Ti clip? Or similar? I have one on the way, too. Does it look like there's a place to tap holes and install a McGizmo Ti clip? Or similar?

Written by nekomane on 01-05-2011 06:45 AM GMT

run4jc said:
I have one on the way, too. Does it look like there's a place to tap holes and install a McGizmo Ti clip? Or similar?

tailwk.jpg

The tail looks beefy enough to tap.

As for the flickering issue, I can see it near the highest brightness settings when used with partially depleted batteries. On fresh batteries, no flickering. These are on primary 123 batteries.

Another thing I noticed.. When you turn the control ring from low to bright slowly, the peak of brightness is reached before the ring is completely turned, then slacks off a bit at the same level. Anyone notice this?

Written by easilyled on 01-05-2011 06:59 AM GMT

I was tempted to buy a Ti V10R based on its good looks andvariable brightness levels.

However the reports of flickering have put me off a little.

I noticed that there were also a couple of reports of flickering for a different light that uses variable control by QTC (Steve Ku's 38DD)

So I wonder whether this light also employs QTC, and if the flickering is an inevitable consequence of using it.

Written by octaf on 01-05-2011 08:41 AM GMT

Hi, D !

Flickering is definitely an issue.

I have both 38dD and this Ti V10R.

38DD utilize QTC while V10R use magnetic control ring I guess.

As far as the flickering is concerned, they are not the same.

You may have flickering while you twist and adjust brightness with 38DD, but once set on certain level, no flickering at all.

But with this V10R, you have constant flickering when you set a level and leave it there.

I've tried with both CR123 & RCR123, no matter what, V10R has flickering. :shrug:

easilyled said:
I was tempted to buy a Ti V10R based on its good looks and variable brightness levels.

However the reports of flickering have put me off a little.

I noticed that there were also a couple of reports of flickering for a different light that uses variable control by QTC (Steve Ku's 38DD)

So I wonder whether this light also employs QTC, and if the flickering is an inevitable consequence of using it.

Written by easilyled on 01-05-2011 09:20 AM GMT

octaf said:
Hi, D !

Flickering is definitely an issue.

I have both 38dD and this Ti V10R.

38DD utilize QTC while V10R use magnetic control ring I guess.

As far as the flickering is concerned, they are not the same.

You may have flickering while you twist and adjust brightness with 38DD, but once set on certain level, no flickering at all.

But with this V10R, you have constant flickering when you set a level and leave it there.

I've tried with both CR123 & RCR123, no matter what, V10R has flickering. :shrug:
Thanks for the clarification and the feedback octaf. Thanks for the clarification and the feedback octaf.

As much as I like the looks of the Ti V10R, I won't be buying one based on the comments from you and others in this thread.

Written by Zeruel on 01-05-2011 09:20 AM GMT

run4jc said:
I have one on the way, too. Does it look like there's a place to tap holes and install a McGizmo Ti clip? Or similar?
Sure it does. But I think there's another easier solution. Can't confirm till I confirm the parts are suitable.

Written by okwchin on 01-05-2011 01:17 PM GMT

Awesome pics Neo

Interesting to note that the Ti has a lower low, and what appears to be a more controllable output at the low end.. :shrug:

Zeruel, have you got the Ti yet?

Written by sideman7 on 01-05-2011 01:58 PM GMT

Areyou using primaries, or rechargeables? I noticed that my Jetbeam TCR2 will flicker a bit when the battery (RCR123) was low (3.2v), but otherwise works fine. Flavio of Bug Out Gear even sent a notice out before shipping stating that they determined that even though the specs say primaries are OK, the light wouldn't function well (it would flicker) when using them. The Jetbeam is pushed harder, so I don't know if this also applies to the Sunwayman...

Nevermind, I reread your post and see you tried RCR123...

Written by eifelmar on 01-05-2011 04:14 PM GMT

Hi together,

I received my V10R Ti today and there is no flickering issue, neither in low nor in high nor when moving the light. I tested with a fresh CR123A primary and a used CR123A. In both cases no flickering.

But on the other hand my low is not as low that I would like to look into it.

I would compare it to the low of my RRT-0.

And it is much more brighter then the low of the Jetbeam TCR2.

Maybe there are different versions of the V10R Ti? :confused:

Written by jayke on 01-05-2011 05:35 PM GMT

I have had my Tiversion for a few days now. I noticed the flickering 1 time when I first used it. I have not seen it since. I have only been using primaries in it so far.

I also have to say that this light has the lowest low I have ever had. It is lower than my Novatac, HDS and Jet III M.

This is a great light. I will probably be selling my 1st version of the Infilux IFE1. The Infilux had some flickering too. It is not as bad on RCR's as primaries.

Written by matt_o on 01-05-2011 08:34 PM GMT

You guys have me nervous. My V10R (not Ti) should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have any problems with it.

Written by Budman231 on 01-05-2011 09:19 PM GMT

I purchased 2 V10r models. I am very impressed with this light. Build quality is top notch. Beam profile is floody with a slight hotspot and color is cool. The dimmer ring is smooth and usableeven in one hand operation. Good brightness, size, and a forward clicky. No strobe. This is a wonderful light and is ALMOST as good as my LF3XT for indoor use... Its a simple design that works very well.

This light gets high marks, my recommendation and a lot of future pocket time. :thumbsup:

Bud

Written by Zeruel on 01-05-2011 09:47 PM GMT

okwchin said:
Zeruel, have you got the Ti yet?
You mean the light? Yes I have.

jayke said:
I also have to say that this light has the lowest low I have ever had. It is lower than my Novatac, HDS and Jet III M.
If I'm not wrong, 38DD's and TCR2's lowest are lower than V10R. If I'm not wrong, 38DD's and TCR2's lowest are lower than V10R.

Written by phoneguy on 01-05-2011 10:29 PM GMT

I was going to pull the trigger on a V10R Ti but with the flicker and low working properly on some but not others...and no neutral, I am now second guessing myself.

Written by Zeruel on 01-05-2011 10:41 PM GMT

Initially I didn't notice any flickering till I looked really really hard for it. It appears at only one point of the ring selection and it's not obvious till I stare at it for some seconds, for my V10R Ti at least.

If you ask me, it's worth getting for it's size, variable output, price, quality finishing, nice beam profile and of course, corrosion-proof titanium host.

Written by bedazzLED on 01-05-2011 11:10 PM GMT

I've been following this thread closely as I've had a V10R and V10A on order for a while. Today I've received my V10R (not Ti) and quickly fed it a battery and fired it up.

All I can say is this torch is going to move up the scale of favorite torches very fast! This is one absolutely fantastic little torch. Construction is A+, the control ring is smooth as smooth can be, there is no flicker at all, and the increase in brightness is quite linear across the full range from low to high.

I can only compare it to my Nitecore IFE1, which starts off at (not very) low and rapidly gets to high (within half a turn) and then there is no increase for the rest of the way! The V10R definitely blows the Nitecore IFE1 out the water when it comes to the variable brightness control. I love it!

Can't wait to get the V10A!

Written by bedazzLED on 01-05-2011 11:11 PM GMT

Sorry for the double post folks. My browser went a bit cooky and then there were two posts!

I couldn't figure out how to delete it so I've overwritten the second post, so if the admins want to delete this message, please feel free to. Thanks.

Written by skyfire on 01-06-2011 03:26 AM GMT

just want to give a BIG THANKS to nekomane for the exploded pics. its exactly what i wanted to know about thesesunwayman lights. i love control rings, but not cool tint. swapping the emitter seems simple enough, even for me. these might be lights ive been looking for.

the flickering issue is kind of big, shame on them for releasing the light and charging that price for it.

think id much rather get the older preset version.

Written by ironhorse on 01-06-2011 05:38 AM GMT

Anyone know how the low compares to the low of the HDS edc?

Written by octaf on 01-06-2011 05:40 AM GMT

I was communicating withsunwayman back and forth via emails regarding this flickering issue. They said they will fix it right for me when I send it back to them.

I do not know how long it will take, but at least, it seems that sunwayman feel responsible and willing to repair whatever's not right in their product. It's good to know that.

Well, folks I'll let you know how it comes out, and report it back here when it's done. :devil:

Written by matt_o on 01-06-2011 06:31 PM GMT

Got my V10R today and so far I love it. The adjustment ring is smooth and easy to set at low levels. No flickering on either battery type so far. This may be my new go to light!

Written by octaf on 01-06-2011 10:12 PM GMT

ironhorse said:
Anyone know how the low compares to the low of the HDS edc?
I have HDS Ultimate 60, so I can answer it on that. I have HDS Ultimate 60, so I can answer it on that.

I used to have novatac 120P, and RA lights, but not in my possesion anymore, and I didn't really compared the lowest among them when I had them, so now I can only answer it upon my HDS U60.

OK, here it goes.

HDS U60's lowest is a little bit lower than V10R Ti I have now.

But not a lot, just a little.

On V10R Ti lowest, you can look directly into the LED without hurting your eye at all, and you can see the stripe pattern within the XP-G LED clearly and pleasantly.

OK on 38DD, you can adjust the lowest much much lower than HDS at your sensible finger tip. :)You can really twist it into almost no-light-level, so low that you cannot even distinguish btw light & no light. Isn't that something ? :devil:

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Written by octaf on 01-07-2011 12:10 AM GMT

Hello, Sunwayman.

I sent the light back to you according to your shipping instruction.

It's quite a treat that your engineer gonna examine it directly, without going thru the hassle of sending it back to the dealer again, and so on.

Once this flickering issue is settled, I know that this Ti V10R will be one of my favorite light. I really like the build quality, the feel of ring operation, tint on mine which is white with less green or yellow, and the beam quality on mine.

So, I hope that everything goes well, and can't wait to receive mine back !
We'll see how it turns out, and Thank you, Sunwayman !!! :thumbsup:

Written by Richwouldnt on 01-07-2011 03:04 AM GMT

Sorry to hear of the flickering on some of these. I almost bought theTi version but decided to go with the Ti Jetbeam TCR2. No flicker on it that I can see and the low is so low it literally has the LED barely glowing at all. I believe the claimed .003 Lumen minimum, maybe even less. I am running a CR123A primary battery so far.

Written by octaf on 01-07-2011 04:07 AM GMT

Richwouldnt said:
Sorry to hear of the flickering on some of these. I almost bought the Ti version but decided to go with the Ti Jetbeam TCR2. No flicker on it that I can see and the low is so low it literally has the LED barely glowing at all. I believe the claimed .003 Lumen minimum, maybe even less. I am running a CR123A primary battery so far.
I guess you've got a lucky pick. I guess you've got a lucky pick.

I heard that Jetbeam TCR2 has also flickering possibility that the jetbeam company pushes real hard on advertising that this TCR2 is for only RCR.

Besides, this issue of flickering, I like Ti V10R better in appearance, and structure.

Well, I'm gonna have both in my hand soon, so I'll know, then.

cheers,

Written by jellydonut on 01-07-2011 05:37 AM GMT

Any flickering on V10As or V20As?

Written by run4jc on 01-07-2011 06:14 AM GMT

octaf said:
I guess you've got a lucky pick.

I heard that Jetbeam TCR2 has also flickering possibility that the jetbeam company pushes real hard on advertising that this TCR2 is for only RCR.

Besides, this issue of flickering, I like Ti V10R better in appearance, and structure.

Well, I'm gonna have both in my hand soon, so I'll know, then.

cheers,
My TC-R2 exhibits no flickering either...but I do use RCRs only. Ultra low -

Of course, I, too, ordered a Ti V10R and it is due here today. If I like it, I am going to order the aluminum V10R also. I really like the magnetic control ring/clicky combo and hope that more manufacturers adopt it (HDS systems?) It does seem to add a bit of length, but the trade off is worth it to me.

Written by octaf on 01-07-2011 10:53 AM GMT

run4jc said:
My TC-R2 exhibits no flickering either...but I do use RCRs only. Ultra low -

Of course, I, too, ordered a Ti V10R and it is due here today. If I like it, I am going to order the aluminum V10R also. I really like the magnetic control ring/clicky combo and hope that more manufacturers adopt it (HDS systems?) It does seem to add a bit of length, but the trade off is worth it to me.
I hope you've got a lucky pick for your I hope you've got a lucky pick for your Ti V10R. :)

If not, I'm sure sunwayman will take good care of you.

cheers,

Written by Frenchyled on 01-07-2011 11:24 AM GMT

Hello fellow CPfer's :wave:

Nice thread here ;)

I received my V10R TI yesterday and I find it realy cool and beautiful...until...I read this thread :sick2:

Yes it seems if I look for a long time that this light suffer of Flicker problems..But it's not a big problem for me .

Yes I have the same problem than you Nekomane " When you turn the control ring from low to bright slowly, the peak of brightness is reached before the ring is completely turned, then slacks off a bit at the same level"

The realy big problem for me is that I know now the existence of TCR2 Jetbeam :eek: And I want to add one to my little collection :ohgeez:

:wave:
Written by Beamhead on 01-07-2011 12:12 PM GMT

Hi Frenchy,so you couldn't resist these shinny things. :p

I just received my V10R Ti and it proves that my Al V10R was absolutely defective.

The Ti goes so low it is insane, perhaps we can dub it Lunar Eclipse mode instead of moon light mode?
My defective Al version would not go as low as my M10r's but the Ti goes way lower.

The fit and finish are excellent.
My Al ver had an easily noticeable flicker from low through medium, this Ti has a minute flicker in the same range. The only way to spot it is to be in a dark environment with the light completely still and even then you have to look very hard to see it, in fact I have found it only between medium low to medium but if I twist the ring and come back to the previous level it goes away.

The flicker on this unit will not be noticeable in real world use IMHO.

As a somewhat early adopter of Sunwayman/led lights I feel a tad responsible for some not purchasing these lights because of the truth I post with what I have in hand. I do however feel a greater responsibility to my fellow flashaholics.

That being said, I have several Sunwayman/led lights and have been for the most part completely impressed.

The only thing I would like to see is better QC regarding the grease for the control ring, 2 of my M10r's were dry, in fact I mangled one attempting to take it apart to lube.

This Ti is lubed very well out of the box.
So if any of you were reluctant to purchase one of these because of anything I posted, I say go for it, these are very nice especially for the price point.

EDIT: I recommend turning these off while on high, you might not see it is still on in low. :p
GONE! Also, the first person to pm me will get my spare 25% discount code. :whistle:

Written by Frenchyled on 01-07-2011 12:24 PM GMT

Beamhead said:
Hi Frenchy, so you couldn't resist these shinny things. :p

..../....
So if any of you were reluctant to purchase one of these because of anything I posted, I say go for it, these are very nice especially for the price point.
Hi Beam Hi Beam :wave:

Yep I failed to resist :p

I have the same advice as you !! :thumbsup: And you know how many flashlight I bought :devil:

Written by Gatsby on 01-07-2011 12:24 PM GMT

Beamhead said:
Hi Frenchy, so you couldn't resist these shinny things. :p

I just received my V10R Ti and it proves that my Al V10R was absolutely defective.

The Ti goes so low it is insane, perhaps we can dub it Lunar Eclipse mode instead of moon light mode?
My defective Al version would not go as low as my M10r's but the Ti goes way lower.

The fit and finish are excellent.
My Al ver had an easily noticeable flicker from low through medium, this Ti has a minute flicker in the same range. The only way to spot it is to be in a dark environment with the light completely still and even then you have to look very hard to see it, in fact I have found it only between medium low to medium but if I twist the ring and come back to the previous level it goes away.

The flicker on this unit will not be noticeable in real world use IMHO.

As a somewhat early adopter of Sunwayman/led lights I feel a tad responsible for some not purchasing these lights because of the truth I post with what I have in hand. I do however feel a greater responsibility to my fellow flashaholics.

That being said, I have several Sunwayman/led lights and have been for the most part completely impressed.

The only thing I would like to see is better QC regarding the grease for the control ring, 2 of my M10r's were dry, in fact I mangled one attempting to take it apart to lube.

This Ti is lubed very well out of the box.
I for one appreciate your honesty and openness, and fair evaluation of the good and the bad. Heck I handled a McGizmo LS27 during a passaround ( I for one appreciate your honesty and openness, and fair evaluation of the good and the bad. Heck I handled a McGizmo LS27 during a passaround (my one and only experience with a ti McGizmo product) and despite them setting the bar for many I had some cons about that light.

Not everyone can afford a titanium Haiku, however, or a limited edition Surefire Titan - so you make your choices and decide what you are willing to accept at different price points. The V10R ti is a very attractive price point and it seems like you may have to put up with either some minor flickering and/or a possible return in exhange. However, some have had lights that worked with no flicker and super low lows so they are out there.

If it weren't for Henry introducing a new light at HDS in a few weeks I'd probably pull the trigger on one of these just to try it out, and still may as Henry's light is still a mostly unknown quantity (including the price and I'm old enough to remember HDS U60s topping out in the $300 range back in the day IIRC so who knows...).

It does look beautiful... so many temptations...

Written by HKJ on 01-07-2011 12:34 PM GMT

Frenchyled said:
The realy big problem for me is that I know now the existence of TCR2 Jetbeam :eek: And I want to add one to my little collection :ohgeez:
Little collection? Little collection? My very small collection would also like a V10R Ti. At least I got the TCR2 and I can still get the V10R Ti. The question is: Do I wait for another 25% off coupon or do I buy it now! :hairpull:

Maybe I have to try for :drunk: today and then decide!

Written by Beamhead on 01-07-2011 12:42 PM GMT

Oh I want your collectionmy Friend, where is my LL. :p

Frenchyled said:
Hi Beam :wave:

Yep I failed to resist :p

I have the same advice as you !! :thumbsup: And you know how many flashlight I bought :devil:

Written by ironhorse on 01-07-2011 01:08 PM GMT

I have been on the fence. Do I get theTi version or wait for the new light by HDS?

Well thanks to te generosity of my new hero Beamhead, I am going to get the V10R Ti.
lovecpf

Written by Beamhead on 01-07-2011 01:11 PM GMT

Don't thank me, thank Sunwayman and Battery Junction. :p

Written by Paul6ppca on 01-07-2011 01:44 PM GMT

Does theAl version go as low as the ti? I know the website says they do ,but does it in real life?

Written by Beamhead on 01-07-2011 01:57 PM GMT

Paul6ppca said:
Does the Al version go as low as the ti? I know the website says they do ,but does it in real life?
It should, I had a It should, I had a defective Al that was returned.

Some eye candy. :p
http://img412.imageshack.us/i/img0606kb.jpg/

Written by run4jc on 01-07-2011 02:22 PM GMT

Well, todaymy shiny new Ti V10R arrived and I immediately set about comparing it to the Jetbeam TC-R2. Understand, I love 'em both - these are just my early comparisons.

V10R V Jetbeam - V10R is 5/8 inch shorter - advantage, V10R
V10R control ring seems to move much more quickly through the range - advantage, V10R
V10R, for my tastes, much more sleek - advantage, V10R

Tint of XPG R5 in V10R Versus S2 in TC-R2 - for my tastes, advantage TC-R2, although the V10R has a very nice, white tint - not blue at all - very nice

The transition from spot to spill is more gradual in the TC-R2 - more of a defined hotspot in the V10R, although it still offers nice spill. For my tastes, advantage TC-R2

Brightness - I've said many a time in other posts that I don't claim accuracy for my home made integrating sphere, but I do read approximately 310 lumen (actually slightly higher) for the TC-R2, and I ran a simulated ANSI test and the TC-R2 did well, dropping to "only" 290 OTF lumen in my sphere after 10 minutes. Pretty close to manufacturer's ratings, and I was pleased. The V10R is rated at 210 lumen "max" (and this doesn't appear to be an ANSI rating), but mine turned on at 270 and dropped only to around 265 after a minute. I'll be eager to run another simulated ANSI test on it. Regardless of whether my sphere is accurate or not, the relative ratings are useful. Both with AW RCR123s, by the way. So brightness edge goes to the TC-R2, but not by much.

Clip -the clip on the V10R is more sturdy than it appears after you attach it, but it still appears to be an afterthought. Clip edge definitely to the TC-R2, but all I use clips for is attaching lanyards, and since they both have nice holes drilled in the tail, I removed the clip from my TC-R2 and didn't install it on the V10R, so that's a push...

I see myself using the V10R more, if only for the smaller size and 'quicker' control ring. So much so that I ordered an aluminum one within an hour of receiving the ti one. The Jetbeam is a 'work of art', and a very nice finish for a mass produced light (if you can call 500 total "mass produced") - I personally prefer the 'understated' look of the V10R.

Man, what a great time to be a flashaholic. Useful titanium tools for under $200 (except the TC-R2s are essentially gone...) If Jetbeam will put these 'guts' in the new RRT-0, I'm afraid I'll have to spend another $100 and pick up one of those! but for now, the Ti V10R is assuming EDC duty until the V10R aluminum arrives - and the TC-R2 will assume nightstand duty!

Written by matt_o on 01-07-2011 04:16 PM GMT

So I used and played with my new Al V10R a little more today and noticed two things. First off, it does flicker a little bit. I pretty much have to anchor it down to something and stare at the beam to notice it. I'm not thrilled about this but I bought the Al version because this will be one of my EDC lights, so it will get used. In real use I don't think I'll notice the flickering much, if at all. The other thing I noticed is that like others have said, the ring only rotates about 35% of a full revolution. The first 60% or so of the adjustment range is great. The light seems logarithmic during that range, similar to my Minimus. The last 40% of the adjustment makes no change to the output. It remain at high (or looks like it). Overall I'm pretty happy with it though. The clip is way more secure than I thought it would be. The size is nice and the whole thing seems robust. I think I'll use it for a couple of weeks and see if the flickering bothers me too much. If it does I might end up sending it back. I just hate to have to send something back I've been looking forward to having.

Written by octaf on 01-07-2011 10:43 PM GMT

I'm glad to hear everybody's on a happy side for thislight, especially for run4jc, it seems you do not have the flickering issue. :wave: Once I receive my light fixed from sunwayman, I'm pretty much sure that this Ti V10R will be my go to light for the time being.

Written by RGB_LED on 01-08-2011 01:12 AM GMT

Ijust received my V10R Ti in the mail today and I, too, am quite impressed. It's actually a bit heavier than I had expected (good thing) and the control ring has a weight to it when it's turned that I like, much better than the rings on the JB RRT series. I also have to agree with some of the comments from run4jc, especially those about the control ring and understated appearance.

It was a tough choice for me between the JB TCR-2 Ti and SW V10R Ti and I chose the latter mainly due to the appearance and, ultimately, price differential. My initial concern was that I was giving up 100 lumens but, based on run4jc's lumen data, it sounds like the 210 lms of the V10R is actually understated and the difference is less than it appears. run4jc, just a question: it the output on the TCR-2 really noticeably brighter?

My HDS U60 was modded with a SSC P4 so it's actually a bit brighter on its lowest setting than my V10R but I can look at both emitters on their lowest settings with ease. I also notice the flickering on the lower settings but I have to hold it steady and shine it against a white wall to really see it, it also ramps to max just before the control ring has made the final turn. My two minor disappointments would have to be: 1. The threads were on the dry side when I received it - nothing that a little nyogel couldn't fix - but puzzling as this is supposed to be a premium light in their line, and 2. The lack of a Ti or even SS clip. The included clip is obviously from the Alu version but, for a Ti light, it's rather silly and the clip will likely remain in the box for the life of this light.

Overall, I still really like this light, the understated look, the forward-clicky, control ring function & feel and the output. This is my first Sunwayman light and I'm impressed.

Written by octaf on 01-08-2011 02:33 AM GMT

RGB_LED said:
I just received my V10R Ti in the mail today and I, too, am quite impressed. It's actually a bit heavier than I had expected (good thing) and the control ring has a weight to it when it's turned that I like, much better than the rings on the JB RRT series. I also have to agree with some of the comments from run4jc, especially those about the control ring and understated appearance.

It was a tough choice for me between the JB TCR-2 Ti and SW V10R Ti and I chose the latter mainly due to the appearance and, ultimately, price differential. My initial concern was that I was giving up 100 lumens but, based on run4jc's lumen data, it sounds like the 210 lms of the V10R is actually understated and the difference is less than it appears. run4jc, just a question: it the output on the TCR-2 really noticeably brighter?

My HDS U60 was modded with a SSC P4 so it's actually a bit brighter on its lowest setting than my V10R but I can look at both emitters on their lowest settings with ease. I also notice the flickering on the lower settings but I have to hold it steady and shine it against a white wall to really see it, it also ramps to max just before the control ring has made the final turn. My two minor disappointments would have to be: 1. The threads were on the dry side when I received it - nothing that a little nyogel couldn't fix - but puzzling as this is supposed to be a premium light in their line, and 2. The lack of a Ti or even SS clip. The included clip is obviously from the Alu version but, for a Ti light, it's rather silly and the clip will likely remain in the box for the life of this light.

Overall, I still really like this light, the understated look, the forward-clicky, control ring function & feel and the output. This is my first Sunwayman light and I'm impressed.
Sorry, yours got flickering,too. Sorry, yours got flickering,too.

For walking my dogs in the woods or looking for something in the garage, this flickering would not matter that much, but reading books at night under my favorite flashlight, it really bothers me and I had to close my books.

Well, we all got different use for our lights, and some are sensitive than others...

I agree with you on clip. Ti Clip is a plus, definitely.

On the other hand, TCR2 does not offer Ti bezel, so that also is a down side for me with TCR2.

I cannot agree that this Ti V10R has an understated appearance.

Cause, to me, this Ti V10R looks much better, handsome, sexy, whatever than TCR2. Just my preference, folks.

I'm gonna receive TCR2 sometime next week, but having RRT series and TCR3, I know that they have the same structure and build, and I think Ti V10R has much stronger build and structure than TCR2, I'm pretty much sure even before I hold TCR2 in my hand.

cheers,

Written by easilyled on 01-08-2011 04:54 AM GMT

octaf said:

I cannot agree that this Ti V10R has an understated appearance.

Cause, to me, this Ti V10R looks much better, handsome, sexy, whatever than TCR2. Just my preference, folks.

I think RGB_LED was using the word "understated" as a compliment octaf, to denote that it has a simpler, more elegant and less "busy" appearance than the JB. He definitely prefers the appearance of the I think RGB_LED was using the word "understated" as a compliment octaf, to denote that it has a simpler, more elegant and less "busy" appearance than the JB. He definitely prefers the appearance of the V10R too. So I think you're both in agreement. ;)

Written by run4jc on 01-08-2011 05:06 AM GMT

easilyled said:
I think RGB_LED was using the word "understated" as a compliment octaf, to denote that it has a simpler, more elegant and less "busy" appearance than the JB. He definitely prefers the appearance of the V10R too. So I think you're both in agreement. ;)
Agreed. Me also...and darn, I had Agreed. Me also...and darn, I had just prepared this long, multi-quote post then lost it to an "expired token." I'll repost later. But suffice it to say, I've been spoiled by McGizmo's, Mac's, and Data's lights, and for the JB and the SWM to impress like they have amazes me. They obviously have been paying attention!

Written by octaf on 01-08-2011 05:07 AM GMT

easilyled said:
I think RGB_LED was using the word "understated" as a compliment octaf, to denote that it has a simpler, more elegant and less "busy" appearance than the JB. He definitely prefers the appearance of the V10R too. So I think you're both in agreement. ;)
Thanks, D for enlightening me on that ! Thanks, D for enlightening me on that !

By the way, I heard that the flickering issue been fixed already.
So, you may wanna consider getting this beauty again.

cheers,

Written by easilyled on 01-08-2011 05:14 AM GMT

octaf said:
Thanks, D for enlightening me on that !

So, you may wanna consider getting this beauty again.

cheers,
Its very tempting indeed, C. Its very tempting indeed, C. :) How could I make sure that I would receive one without the flickering issue as opposed to one that hasn't had this issue fixed though?

Written by run4jc on 01-08-2011 07:17 AM GMT

Easilyled - PM sent - and thank you for your offer, too! :thumbsup:

Written by easilyled on 01-08-2011 08:06 AM GMT

run4jc, many thanks and PM sent!

Written by Search4light on 01-08-2011 08:43 AM GMT

Would some owner kindly share some info about the beam, how large or narrow the hotspot is compared to other lights you own of similar size, for example larger/narrower than fenix ld10... or even better the hotspost diameter projected on a wall at 1 meter distance. I wish these info would always included in the specs.

For my intended uses I hope the hotspot is larger than average.

Thanks

Written by Beamhead on 01-08-2011 12:23 PM GMT

octaf said:

cheers,
Can you fill us in? :popcorn:

Written by octaf on 01-08-2011 12:44 PM GMT

Beamhead said:
Can you fill us in? :popcorn:
Here's quote from another CPF member manchow in here, Here's quote from another CPF member manchow in here,

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=307031

ManChow said:
p.s. V10R flickering issue was already fixed, it just is a minor issue and very easy to fix, maybe caused by an electric capacitor, don't worry brother~
According to According to my email conversation with Sunwayman, they sound confident !
My light is on the way to them.

I'll let you folks know about these later, for sure.

cheers,

Last edited:

njet212

Enlightened
@JA(me)S :

iHi JA(me)S could you tell us if you could lock out your V10R Ti by loosened the bezel ? From what i think the V10R aluminum seems able to do that because the thread is anodized.

The reason i'm asking this is because i hate my Jetbeam RRT-0

I love the build quality, the battery configuration option, the clip and the size. But the only concern i have is the standby current. it was suck all my fresh AW RCR123 only in a week !! ( in fact i turn off the switch, i don't position it on standby mode with switch on )

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Written by Beamhead on 01-08-2011 12:46 PM GMT

Thanks "O". :)

Written by octaf on 01-08-2011 12:49 PM GMT

easilyled said:
Its very tempting indeed, C. :) How could I make sure that I would receive one without the flickering issue as opposed to one that hasn't had this issue fixed though?
Hmm, that's a good question. Hmm, that's a good question.

I would ask the dealer to test it out and make sure before they send it out to you.

Or, wait until next batch to show up. :shrug:

I myself am considering buying second one of Ti V10R, once mine is fixed.

Written by Beamhead on 01-08-2011 12:52 PM GMT

It may be as simple as a board swap, provided you have a soldering iron. The board is easily accessible.

Written by octaf on 01-08-2011 01:01 PM GMT

Beamhead said:
It may be as simple as a board swap, provided you have a soldering iron. The board is easily accessible.

So, basically unscrew the tiny screw under the head and swap the board ? or do you need to completely disassemble the head unit ?

Written by Beamhead on 01-08-2011 01:08 PM GMT

Yup, which brings up another minor thing I would like tosee Sunwayman do, put 2 screws on the board cover/contact.
nekomane said:
For those of you thinking of an emitter swap...

I did not desolder the wires, but doing so will free the circuit board.

53576837.jpg

Written by Budman231 on 01-08-2011 01:22 PM GMT

The hotspot is between a Quark 123 and an LF3XT. It's not a tight hot spot. Not a "thrower" if that is what your after. It IMHO is a good indoor/med distance light.

Bud

Written by run4jc on 01-08-2011 04:53 PM GMT

Search4light said:
Would some owner kindly share some info about the beam, how large or narrow the hotspot is compared to other lights you own of similar size, for example larger/narrower than fenix ld10... or even better the hotspost diameter projected on a wall at 1 meter distance. I wish these info would always included in the specs.

For my intended uses I hope the hotspot is larger than average.

Thanks
I've just posted a review of the I've just posted a review of the Jetbeam TC-R2 and the Sunwayman V10R over HERE. Hopefully some of the beam shots will help you with your question.

Written by RGB_LED on 01-08-2011 11:20 PM GMT

easilyled said:
Thanks easilyled, yep, it was indeed a compliment. Thanks easilyled, yep, it was indeed a compliment.

Part of my hesitation with purchasing the TCR2 was the 'angled' knurling - I much prefer the V10R knurling! To me, it's much more tasteful and also looks like a utilitarian tool whereas the JB looks more like jewelry. Not a bad thing as I really like JB lights in general but just not my taste.

Written by octaf on 01-09-2011 04:38 AM GMT

RGB_LED said:
Thanks easilyled, yep, it was indeed a compliment.

Part of my hesitation with purchasing the TCR2 was the 'angled' knurling - I much prefer the V10R knurling! To me, it's much more tasteful and also looks like a utilitarian tool whereas the JB looks more like jewelry. Not a bad thing as I really like JB lights in general but just not my taste.
:oops:sorry, RGB_LED, I was so focused onto the words "understated", then I tumbled. :ohgeez: :D I like the size, look, build, design of Ti V10R more than TCR2. :)

Written by Halfpint on 01-10-2011 02:36 AM GMT

run4jc said:
Does it look like there's a place to tap holes and install a McGizmo Ti clip? Or similar?

Zeruel said:
Sure it does. But I think there's another easier solution. Can't confirm till I confirm the parts are suitable.

I already have a couple of the Al V10Rs and am definitely considering the Ti version, too. However... *If* the clip that comes with the Ti version is like the one that comes with the Al versions I am going to *very* interested in a better option, too. Hopefully it is one that doesn'r need any drilling and tapping.

The problem I've got it the one that comes with the Al versions is it doesn't allow a steady `tailstand' and instead causes the light to wobble and rock because it stands too `proud' of the tail by about a sixteenth of an inch or so. While `tailstanding' isn't a main `mode' for me there are a few times when I do use it those times I really need to not be worrying about whether or not it is going stay where I've put it. (I am probably being more than just a bit picky? Dunno... {WAN GRIN!})

Now, as for my initial impressions of the Al version of the V10R... Whilst I have noticed that it seems not really get all that much brighter in the last bit of the rotation of the control I haven't, at least yet {Knocking on wood.} noticed any flickering. I `love' how dim it can go! Now I can check up on the children and critters around the farm without either waking them or setting off a ruckus. ('Course *some* `critters' even that dim of light won't stop them from raising a ruckus! {CHUCKLE!}) I *have* discovered that unlike a couple of my other `pocket'/EDC lights it is not much of a `battery vampire', IE: I cannot almost completely drain a battery without having to be constantly `twiddling' with the setting(s) as the battery fades out. I don't know if that is a `good' thing or as I usually run my `pocket'/EDC lights off of CR123 primary batteries rather than rechargables. I guess if everything else about the Als and the Ti turns out to be better than my other light for `pocket'/EDC use I'll just live with it.

Written by octaf on 01-10-2011 02:48 AM GMT

Zeruel said:
I have a feeling you're gonna come up with goodnews ! I have a feeling you're gonna come up with goodnews !

Written by gunga on 01-10-2011 12:28 PM GMT

Nekomane, how hard was it to open up theTi V10? I really want to get one, but want to do an emitter swap to neutral...

Don't want to "beamhead" mine.

:p

Written by skyfire on 01-10-2011 01:52 PM GMT

Anybody experienced the V10A?

If so, any signs of flickering?

is it ok to use 14500?

how low is the low?

any feedback would be much appreciated!

Written by JA(me)S on 01-10-2011 02:04 PM GMT

gunga said:
I really want to get one, but want to do an emitter swap to neutral...
+1, and I've +1, and I've never performed an emitter swap...

Also, has anyone confirmed the 1 lumen run time at only 35 hours? I know...kind of early in the game for a run time test - but this just doesn't seem right.

- Jas.

Written by liquidsix on 01-10-2011 10:44 PM GMT

... I said something, but then I googled and found my answer on page 2 of this post...

Written by 4EN[sic] on 01-10-2011 11:16 PM GMT

I just got myTi version today, I love it! However, it has quite a few scratches on it :-( I don't feel I was expecting too much for it to have a flawless finish on it? It is what appears to be the perfect light though, killer low, nice high and love the solid Ti feel. Just wondering what some of the other members lights looked like when they got them? Cheers!

Written by snakyjake on 01-11-2011 09:28 AM GMT

The problem I'm having spending the money on theTi version is that it is not XM-L, and not neutral. The aluminum version is pricey too, when other lights are XM-L.

Too bad the emitter is not upgradeable, or some sort of discount to have the manufacturer change the emitter.

Waiting to see what HDS brings.

Written by easilyled on 01-11-2011 09:36 AM GMT

snakyjake said:
The problem I'm having spending the money on the Ti version is that it is not XM-L, and not neutral. The aluminum version is pricey too, when other lights are XM-L.

Too bad the emitter is not upgradeable, or some sort of discount to have the manufacturer change the emitter.

Waiting to see what HDS brings.
An XM-L emitter is intended more for lights with higher battery capacities than CR123 or RCR123, as its designed to pull higher currents. An XM-L emitter is intended more for lights with higher battery capacities than CR123 or RCR123, as its designed to pull higher currents.

The XP-G is a perfect emitter for smaller lights, which do not have enough metal mass to heatsink the power consumption that the XM-L was designed for.

I would guess that the emitter in the SWM doesn't draw more than about 0.8 - 1A at its highest setting and I doubt that the XM-L would be noticably brighter than the XPG. The XP-G should also have significantly more throw because of its smaller die-size.

Written by jellydonut on 01-12-2011 05:15 AM GMT

Our V20As arrived today, and so far the light is working perfectly. I am impressed by how far Sunwayman has come, the quality and feel of the light is very nice, the tail switch is nice, dimmer ring is nice, everything just oozes quality.(except the pocket clip, which is in fact completely useless. :confused:)

I've only tested one though, but I can report from a sample size of one that there's zero flickering on any level.

Written by skyfire on 01-12-2011 12:25 PM GMT

jellydonut said:
Our V20As arrived today, and so far the light is working perfectly. I am impressed by how far Sunwayman has come, the quality and feel of the light is very nice, the tail switch is nice, dimmer ring is nice, everything just oozes quality.(except the pocket clip, which is in fact completely useless. :confused:)

I've only tested one though, but I can report from a sample size of one that there's zero flickering on any level.
thanks Mr. Donut =) thanks Mr. Donut =)

im glad to hear it. maybe the flickering issues are only with the Ti edition? got to do some back track reading.

I have a XPG 3000k waiting for one of these.

Written by Bladedude on 01-12-2011 09:30 PM GMT

Got my V10A yesterday and its awesome! Absolutelyno signs of flickering, has an extremely low light level, variable ring has nice feel when turning with no rattle, works with my AW 14500 on all brightness levels and its definately brighter with the 14500's :devil: I can't measure it but id say its about 220 lumens.

Written by boulder on 01-12-2011 09:41 PM GMT

Bladedude said:
Got my V10A yesterday and its awesome! Absolutely no signs of flickering, has an extremely low light level, variable ring has nice feel when turning with no rattle, works with my AW 14500 on all brightness levels and its definately brighter with the 14500's :devil: I can't measure it but id say its about 220 lumens.
where did you order yours from? where did you order yours from?

Written by Bladedude on 01-12-2011 10:49 PM GMT

batteryjunction

Written by skyfire on 01-12-2011 11:49 PM GMT

Bladedude said:
Got my V10A yesterday and its awesome! Absolutely no signs of flickering, has an extremely low light level, variable ring has nice feel when turning with no rattle, works with my AW 14500 on all brightness levels and its definately brighter with the 14500's :devil: I can't measure it but id say its about 220 lumens.
SOLD SOLD

you just answer every single question i needed answering. no flickering, extreme low, and 14500. thank you sir!

brighter on 14500 you say? im wondering if sunwayman is using a different driver compared to the M10A. maybe the same driver as the V10R?

i wonder how the brightest is when both models are running li-ions.

Written by Bladedude on 01-13-2011 03:09 AM GMT

skyfire said:
SOLD

you just answer every single question i needed answering. no flickering, extreme low, and 14500. thank you sir!

brighter on 14500 you say? im wondering if sunwayman is using a different driver compared to the M10A. maybe the same driver as the V10R?

i wonder how the brightest is when both models are running li-ions.
Your very welcome that was my intention. Id say the v10a is much brighter than m10a on 14500 because i Your very welcome that was my intention. Id say the v10a is much brighter than m10a on 14500 because i bought an m10a for a friend months ago and on a 14500 it was about the same brightness as my fenix ld10r4 on energizer lithium, now comparing my v10a 14500 to my ld10r4 it is noticeably brighter, so this leads me to believe the v10a is brighter than m10a on 14500 but i dont have the two side by side to compare.

Written by boulder on 01-13-2011 05:29 PM GMT

Just got my v10rTi today. It goes so low! Lower than anything I've ever seen. Beautiful light, great job Sunwayman.

Written by Search4light on 01-14-2011 05:48 AM GMT

Bladedude said:
now comparing my v10a 14500 to my ld10r4 .
I have LD10R4 and I'm interested in the V10A, I'd like to ask you if the hotspot size of v10a is bigger than LD10R4 and also if you have the fenix ad401 diffuser if you tried to snap it on the v10a , I know the v10a is larger but the ad401 should stretch by I have LD10R4 and I'm interested in the V10A, I'd like to ask you if the hotspot size of v10a is bigger than LD10R4 and also if you have the fenix ad401 diffuser if you tried to snap it on the v10a , I know the v10a is larger but the ad401 should stretch by some amount.

Do you know of another diffuser/beam splitter that would fit the V10a?

Thanks for the info.

Written by nekomane on 01-14-2011 08:56 AM GMT

gunga said:
Nekomane, how hard was it to open up the Ti V10? I really want to get one, but want to do an emitter swap to neutral...

Don't want to "beamhead" mine.

:p
Hi gunga, Hi gunga,

Been away for a few days, sorry for the late reply.

As previously posted, the V10R is tough to open because some of the parts can deform under the pressure needed to grip firmly.

Trying to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

Written by gunga on 01-14-2011 10:05 AM GMT

Augh, hoping to not have to got nuts opening it up. PM box cleared.

Written by jellydonut on 01-14-2011 04:20 PM GMT

Also, holding the light next to my ear in a quiet room reveals quiet buzzing, which I suppose might indicate PWM drive.

There is no kind of 'flicker' on any selected output, though.

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Written by Halfpint on 01-14-2011 10:52 PM GMT

skyfire said:
Anybody experienced the V10A?

If so, any signs of flickering?

is it ok to use 14500?

how low is the low?

any feedback would be much appreciated!
V10A? V10R Al, yes, I've got 2 of them. One for SWMBO and the other is my son's `new toy'. (Especially since I went and `pulled the trigger' and bought myself a V10R Ti. [I've had a couple other Ti bodied lights, unfortunately both were Streamlights, in the past and the V10R Ti's looks was *almost* enough to `qualify' it's purchase. Don't get me wrong, the `specs' and general commentary here on CPF *also* contributed to my purchase.])

OK...

Signs of `flickering'... Neither of my V10R Als have shown any `flicker' and, so far, neither has my V10R Ti in the few hours I've been playing with it.

Is it ok to use 14500... Hmmmmm... I'm afraid that is something someone else will have to answer as I, currently, am not `into' Lithium rechargables in my lights except if they actually came so equipt. (IE: The only light I own that came with a Li rechargeable is my Olight SR91. [I *might* eventually acquire an Olight SR90 but, that depends upon whether or not someone else comes out with something brighter/better. Which, again for now, appears to not be on the immediate horizon as the SR91 is doing the job, keeping track of livestock and lighting up `varmints', it was purchased for quite well.])

How low is the low... Well... The `low' on the V10R Als is *not* as low as the `low' available on the V10R Ti. (Which is *definitely*, as has been mentioned here before, low enough that one can look directly into the light and seen the `connector lines' across the face of the emitter *without* having to use any `protection'. I *almost* thought that I'd put a `drained' CR123A in it when I first `lit it off'! {VB GRIN!}) *Maybe* I might have to pack up the V10R Als and send them off? Dunno... So far neither SWMBO nor my son have complained about them being `low enough' even after seeing how low the V10R Ti can go.

What, besides the `range' and just plain `good looks', I *really* like about the V10R Ti is it's `feel'. The machining, which BTW is *not* `knurling', on the `grip surface' is some of the best I've had the pleasure to `fondle'... err... feel/hold. The `action' of the control ring, while right now is a bit `stiff', is very smooth even with the seeming lack of response through it's upper intensity range. The `pattern' is, at least for *me* again, is perfect for *my* uses with enough `spot' and `fill'. *And* the one thing I was worried about from my experiences with the V10R Als, the belt/pocket clip, seems to have become pretty much of a `non-issue'. The `clip' supplied with the V10R Als extended past the ring around the switch enough that `tailstanding' was a hassle unless the surface one was trying to do so was level and *very* solid. Just the slightest bump or jostle would tip them over. The clip that came with this V10R Ti *doesn't* extend past the ring at all! Oh, and it still allows one to carry the light clipped to one's pocket and have it almost invisible unless searched for.

About the *only* `problem?' I have with this light is that *if* I decide that I am going to `need?' to buy another as a `spare' it is going put a bit of a `hurt' on my wallet compared to it's Al conterparts! (One of the `problems' of living on a fixed income. {WAN GRIN!} *If* I couple *reasonably* write it off as being something *needed* for farming I wouldn't worry. But, since our `accountant' is a *real* `stickler' about such types of things... I am not even going to try right now.)

Written by Bladedude on 01-15-2011 12:28 AM GMT

Search4light said:
I have LD10R4 and I'm interested in the V10A, I'd like to ask you if the hotspot size of v10a is bigger than LD10R4 and also if you have the fenix ad401 diffuser if you tried to snap it on the v10a , I know the v10a is larger but the ad401 should stretch by some amount.

Do you know of another diffuser/beam splitter that would fit the V10a?

Thanks for the info.
The hotspot on the The hotspot on the v10a is slightly larger than the ld10r4. However, the ld10r4 will out throw the v10a because the v10a's hotspot spreads more than ld10r4 over distance due to v10a having op reflector. A big plus with the v10a is there is no donut hole in hotspot like ld10r4 and the transistion from hotspot to flood in beam is flawless. Basically its op vs. smooth reflector.

I do not have a diffuser for either of these lights.

If your on the fence about buying the v10a, do it! Some advantages of v10a over ld10r4 is v10a can: tailstand well, has extremely low low setting, forward clicky, no donut hole, reversable clip can be attached to hat, thick walled body, and 14500 compatible on all brightness levels! With that said i like both and carry both each has its advantages

Written by Helmut.G on 01-15-2011 04:44 AM GMT

buzzing does not necessarily mean PWM, some current-controlled lights do it, too.

I'd love to know how they are controlling the brightness of the V series, actually, are there more clues?

Written by juplin on 01-15-2011 12:39 PM GMT

Current-controlled lights will have tint shift between high and low mode.

Pure PWM will provide constant tint regardless of brightness.

Howerever, PWM with large filtering capacitor in the output stage will also have tint shift.

Written by entoptics on 01-15-2011 01:28 PM GMT

Can someone who has theV10A, and ideally the M10A and C10A, post a picture of it next to other common 1xAA lights. I'm on the fence about buying one, and would like to see its size compared directly to a Quark AA, NiteCore D10/D11, and Fenix LD10. If it's smaller than the Quark, I think I might buy one.

Written by Frenchyled on 01-15-2011 02:56 PM GMT

A picture with the M10A between an E3S and a TC-R2 , hope this help :)

2sun_2Jet_03.JPG

Written by recDNA on 01-15-2011 03:53 PM GMT

I can't believe the collections so many of you have! I still feel guilty about the $ I spent for the TC-R2!

Written by okwchin on 01-17-2011 02:10 AM GMT

Frenchyled said:
A picture with the M10A between an E3S and a TC-R2 , hope this help :)

2sun_2Jet_03.JPG
It just helps worsen the drooling. It just helps worsen the drooling.

Written by jtivat on 01-17-2011 03:03 PM GMT

I just receivedmy V10R Ti and am not really happy. There is a known issue with flicker yet they keep selling them??? I really do not feel these are isolated cases either I have seen three of them now and all three flicker. Some people just don't see it while others it really bugs.

Written by gunga on 01-17-2011 03:35 PM GMT

Where did you buy it? Battery Junction has stopped sellingthem. They have all been sent back and will be reshipped end of Jan (I believe).

I ordered 2, from the upcoming batch.

Written by jtivat on 01-17-2011 07:53 PM GMT

gunga said:
Where did you buy it? Battery Junction has stopped selling them. They have all been sent back and will be reshipped end of Jan (I believe).

Yup that's where I Yup that's where I got mine ordered it just last week.

Written by Halfpint on 01-18-2011 03:42 AM GMT

jtivat said:
I just received my V10R Ti and am not really happy. There is a known issue with flicker yet they keep selling them??? I really do not feel these are isolated cases either I have seen three of them now and all three flicker. Some people just don't see it while others it really bugs.
Huh!? Flicker? While I am *not* a perfectionist, though Huh!? Flicker? While I am *not* a perfectionist, though SWMBO and the children may beg to differ, only the son of a perfectionist I've been checking my recently received, I've only had it for only 5 or so days ago, V10R Ti quite carefully for both `flicker' & `pulsing' and still haven't seen any signs of either. (I've tried it with various brands of CR123s in various states of charge/discharge and, I have even entertained thoughts of getting out one of my laboratory adjustable power supplies to see if it might be apparent under limited current conditions, haven't yet noticed any flickering.) I *have* had lights that have had problems in the past and right now I will say that my V10R Ti is not a `problem child'.

gunga said:
Where did you buy it? Battery Junction has stopped selling them. They have all been sent back and will be reshipped end of Jan (I believe).

Dang! And, as I type this, I was getting ready to `pull the Dang! And, as I type this, I was getting ready to `pull the trigger' and order another couple, one to be a `display model' in my collection and one as a `backup', because my current one has become my new EDC light dethroning the Olight T10 I've carried for the last couple or so years. Maybe I'll still go ahead and make my order just to make certain that I'll be able to get them without having to wait even longer or not be able to get any because the run has run out? The funny thing is that until now I hadn't really considered buying a Ti light as an EDC for several reasons and this one really threw me for a loop with it's feel and `action'. (I think SWMBO may have said it best when she said that it was the first flashlight she'd seen that was `sexy' in looks and feel?)

Written by jtivat on 01-18-2011 03:08 PM GMT

Halfpint said:
Huh!? Flicker? While I am *not* a perfectionist, though SWMBO and the children may beg to differ, only the son of a perfectionist I've been checking my recently received, I've only had it for only 5 or so days ago, V10R Ti quite carefully for both `flicker' & `pulsing' and still haven't seen any signs of either. (I've tried it with various brands of CR123s in various states of charge/discharge and, I have even entertained thoughts of getting out one of my laboratory adjustable power supplies to see if it might be apparent under limited current conditions, haven't yet noticed any flickering.) I *have* had lights that have had problems in the past and right now I will say that my V10R Ti is not a `problem child'.

Dang! And, as I type this, I was getting ready to `pull the trigger' and order another couple, one to be a `display model' in my collection and one as a `backup', because my current one has become my new EDC light dethroning the Olight T10 I've carried for the last couple or so years. Maybe I'll still go ahead and make my order just to make certain that I'll be able to get them without having to wait even longer or not be able to get any because the run has run out? The funny thing is that until now I hadn't really considered buying a Ti light as an EDC for several reasons and this one really threw me for a loop with it's feel and `action'. (I think SWMBO may have said it best when she said that it was the first flashlight she'd seen that was `sexy' in looks and feel?)
Well if it was just a few doing it I am sure they would not be returning Well if it was just a few doing it I am sure they would not be returning them all and waiting on new ones.

Written by LowFlux on 01-18-2011 07:50 PM GMT

I receivedmy V10R Ti last Friday from BatteryJunction after reading about their recall. I was worried that I'd have a light that I'd immediately have to send back especially since I intended to use this light with RCR123s. My model has been flawless - no flickering on any level and the brightness control ring works flawlessly. I'm thrilled and it's now my new EDC.

Sunwayman - unusual brand name, but an outstanding light!

Written by boulder on 01-18-2011 09:42 PM GMT

LowFlux said:
I received my V10R Ti last Friday from BatteryJunction after reading about their recall. I was worried that I'd have a light that I'd immediately have to send back especially since I intended to use this light with RCR123s. My model has been flawless - no flickering on any level and the brightness control ring works flawlessly. I'm thrilled and it's now my new EDC.

Sunwayman - unusual brand name, but an outstanding light!
+1 +1
My V10R Ti has no issues and is flawless. I am thoroughly impressed with Sunwayman. I can't say it enough!

Written by billbunton on 01-19-2011 04:28 AM GMT

Igot mine Monday and have been carrying it since. Works great, I'm very pleased with it! There is a _very_ slight flicker on the lowest setting, but I would have never been able to see it if not for this thread. It's only noticeable when I'm specifically looking for it.

Written by Pöbel on 01-20-2011 09:56 AM GMT

could somebody who has the light measure the current on the lowest setting? I can't believe that it will only last 35h on 1 lumen.

Written by juplin on 01-22-2011 06:31 AM GMT

Receivedmy V10R Ti :)

21-V10R-01_S.jpg

22-V10R-02_S.jpg

29-XM-L_Head_S.jpg

Written by Jackyl on 01-24-2011 12:36 PM GMT

According tomy interpretation of this translated forum as posted earlier in this thread...some of the repaired units are still having issues and evidence of fighting the loc-tite for the repair process...???

http://translate.google.com/translat...%3D%26page%3D4

Written by Jackyl on 01-24-2011 12:50 PM GMT

RGB_LED said:
snip

snip
Same here...tough choice, but price, size, and overall feel of quality pushes the Same here...tough choice, but price, size, and overall feel of quality pushes the V10R over the top for me. In comparing the numbers between both in the well done review of each, after 5 min. runtime on primaries I consider the TC-R2 to be 280L and the V10R Ti. to be 210L. (but also 15 deg. warmer) Only a difference of 70 lumens so that helps, at least in my mind...hahaha. I do wish it had a more neutral tint though...I don't care for blue/purple, but anything is bettern than yellow/green.

Wondering how these numbers translate in real world usage. Then again for the price difference between these two models, couldn't you budget that for an emitter upgrade down the road? Not sure what these mods typically run, but assuming it's no DIY.

Written by Lobo on 01-25-2011 07:05 PM GMT

Wow, beautiful light. But does anybody know if it's ok to run 14500s in theV10A? And how much brighter is it(or not at all?)?

And what's the runtimes on max and low? Can't find any figures at bateryjunction.

Written by octaf on 01-25-2011 07:43 PM GMT

20110125021159.jpg

I've got a return package from Sunwayman with all minor issues fixed.

Now, perfect with both CR & RCR.

TCR2 is fine with RCR but has flickering with CR123.

Written by nekomane on 01-26-2011 06:47 PM GMT

The problem I had on CR123s (the brightness reaching the highest before ring is fully turned) is fixed.

polishm.jpg

Also, the previous light I had only had 1 magnet (which strangely did not affect operation of the ring), but now it has 2 :confused:

Written by Jackyl on 01-27-2011 06:00 AM GMT

Odd. What did you have to do to disassemble? What kind of grease are you re-lubing with?

Written by octaf on 01-27-2011 06:58 AM GMT

Jackyl said:
Odd. What did you have to do to disassemble?
I'd like to know, too. I'd like to know, too. :wave:

Written by nekomane on 01-27-2011 07:22 AM GMT

Check out from post #48 in this thread.

You will need a vise, wooden blocks, bike tubes, strips of leather and a good strap wrench or vise wrench. Most of all, lots of heat (boiling will not do) and some patience.

The parts are small, and securing the parts without squashing (also known as 'beamheading') them is difficult. Too much heat can damage the components too.

I would also like to know what kind of sticky grease is best to use for these control ring lights.

Chain wax? Chain saw oil? Googling 'sticky grease' came up with Red "n" Tacky on an RC forum.

Written by Jackyl on 01-27-2011 08:57 AM GMT

How much heat are we talking? It doesn't take much to start the heat coloring process, and I doubt they used better o-rings than buna so I could see that going badly for me. Not to mention damaging the driver / emitter. I was hoping that repaired or newer batch models would have gotten less thread locker for some reason...hahaha. I think I'll attempt this without heat, and if it doesn't go then I'll call it quits.

Written by Beamhead on 01-27-2011 11:08 AM GMT

nekomane said:
(also known as 'beamheading')
Hey now...........................I resemble that remark. Hey now...........................I resemble that remark. :whoopin: :p I would use loctite krytox.

Written by Jackyl on 01-27-2011 11:57 AM GMT

Krytox...that's what it is. I was thinking Eezox, but didn't see a grease product on their site...only the oils. Is there a difference between Loctite and Dupont's Krytox? Google loctite krytox and the first result doesn't look too good.

Written by Beamhead on 01-27-2011 12:05 PM GMT

This is what I use.

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Re: Sunwayman V Series: Infinitely Variable ControlRing
Written by nekomane on 01-27-2011 01:43 PM GMT

How much heat are we talking? It doesn't take much to start the heat coloring process, and I doubt they used better o-rings than buna so I could see that going badly for me. Not to mention damaging the driver / emitter. *snip*
Jackyl, I cannot measure the temperature, but the heat from a small butane blowtorch was high enough to smoke the grease inside the threads. The surface of the ring was blackened a bit from the burning wood and rubber around it, but rubbed off easily. Not sure if short bursts of heat will anodize the material but I'm no expert.

You can remove the PCB before opening the parts to avoid heat damage, but like you say, the emitter and o-ring may go :poof:

Beamhead said:
Hey now...........................I resemble that remark. :whoopin: :p I would use loctite krytox.
You have a CPF color scheme named after you, and now you are verbed You have a CPF color scheme named after you, and now you are verbed :cool: :nana:

I believe gunga coined it here.

Joking aside, wouldn't Krytox be too runny? The original grease has a high viscosity which keeps the ring from moving too easily, and also prevents it from leaking out.

Written by Beamhead on 01-27-2011 02:09 PM GMT

The loctite krytox I use is agrease and holds up fine.

Written by on 01-27-2011 02:25 PM GMT

If you weren'theat coloring it and using butane, I'm not that concerned and may give it a go. I've heat anodized various thicknesses and know that it doesn't take much to get it to start to go gold...you're probably at or under 500 deg. in any one spot. Thanks for the info.

Written by nekomane on 01-27-2011 07:41 PM GMT

Beamhead, thank you for the link. The stuff is abit pricy, so I will try the Red n Tacky and see how it does first.

Written by on 01-28-2011 06:10 AM GMT

nekomane said:

http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/r...lAR/Anodizing/

Some torch, some electro-chem bath.

Written by okwchin on 01-28-2011 09:28 PM GMT

nekomane said:

polishm.jpg

Having 2 magnets means the circuit board can be installed either way and still function correctly. The first run V10R needed the circuit to be orientated the right direction, but mechanically the head allowed for both directions, so maybe this is a mechanical solution saving time on the manufacturing side of things by not having to fix lights that were installed reverse?

Or maybe im totally wrong, and its related to the improved magnetic control?

Written by Paul6ppca on 01-30-2011 09:02 AM GMT

I received my new v10r al version from the 2nd batch this Friday, A very cool and well made light.No flickering or preflash with rcr or primary battery.Beautiful beam ,no artifacts.Very smooth fluid rotatingring to adjust brightness.no freeplay. Flawless finish type III.

Mine is only as low as my nitecore D10, 3-5 lumens by eye. not sub lumen like ti version video on you tube.anyone else have theirs to compare?

I really like this light,I just thought it would have similar low output like Ti. On max it is much brighter than my ti Fenix PD 10 rated at 216 lumens!

The last 20 degrees of rotation does not show a visable difference.

Written by hegel on 01-31-2011 01:59 PM GMT

Paul6ppca said:
I am also very interested in an answer... I am also very interested in an answer...

Written by ijha on 02-10-2011 07:53 AM GMT

Hi, Everyone.

I wonder if any of you still has a flickering issue with new, fixed V10R Ti. I got mine about 10 days ago and I noticed flickering in low to medium mode. I'm pretty sure mine is from the fixed version. I requested an RMA from the seller. I just wanted to figure out if it's just bad luck for me or not.

Best,

Written by selfbuilt on 02-17-2011 07:25 AM GMT

My review of the V10A is now up:

Sunwayman V10A (1xAA, XP-G R5, Continuously-Variable) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

The original sample Sunwayman sent me had flickering on the low-med modes on 14500. The replacement sample from the second batch had no flickering on any battery (and was used for the 14500 runtimes).

Cheers! :wave:

Above are all cached posts from November 2 2010 through to the end of February 2011:
No information was lost in this thread when the lights went out at CPF...

Last edited:

njet212

Enlightened
@JA(me)S :

Hi JA(me)S could you tell us if you could lock out your V10R Ti by loosened the bezel ? From what i think the V10R aluminum seems able to do that because the thread is anodized.

I love the build quality, the battery configuration option, the clip and the size. But the only concern i have is the standby current. it was suck all my fresh AW RCR123 only in a week !! ( in fact i turn off the switch, i don't position it on standby mode with switch on )

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
@JA(me)S :

Hi JA(me)S could you tell us if you could lock out your V10R Ti by loosened the bezel ? From what i think the V10R aluminum seems able to do that because the thread is anodized.

I just turned on my v-10r ti and twisted the bezel til it came off....it stayed on

LowFlux

Enlightened
Thanks for your answer, btw how long did you own the V10R Ti ?? do you find it does have standby current ?
I've had mine since early February and have only had 1 RCR recharge, haven't seen any evidence of standby current; if it's there it's not very substantial. It's been my EDC for the entire time, I'm not a heavy flashlight user (no professional use) so it's used on lower settings primarily with occasional bursts of full brightness as needed.

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your answer, btw how long did you own the V10R Ti ?? do you find it does have standby current ?

Got it monday :/) and tossed a new charged aw rcr in it.... Its not dead yet...lol
Couldnt honestly answer
But it sure is awesome... Got my rrt-0 yesterday... Like the v10 r much better... So far

njet212

Enlightened
@LowFlux:
Good to know that, seem the V10R Ti does not have standby current at all.

@Mtbmrf:
LOL !! would you give an update here if you finds any evidence of standby current on V10R Ti in the future?

Actually i was looking at this 2 lights RRT-0 and Sunway V10R Ti, but i decided to pull the trigger on RRT-0. The reasons i get RRT-0 over V10R Ti are RRT-0 offer flexibility on battery configuration and the control ring on RRT-0 is more protruding than V10R Ti which i found much more easier to access than fully flat control ring on V10R Ti.

I only own M20A and M10R which has same fully flat control ring that V10R or V10R Ti has. Since you also got the RRT-0 which one do you find is more easy to rotate / access between RRT-0 and Sunway V10R Ti ? or both are easily to access / rotate ?

Thanks

JA(me)S

Enlightened
...could you tell us if you could lock out your V10R Ti by loosened the bezel ?

My apologies for not responding sooner - have been doing other things in the forum... Looks like you got your answer - all the better because I don't own the V10R Ti...:(

- Jas.