UN flashlights

browntown

Newly Enlightened
Watching the ABC world news tonight and they showed UN dudes in an Iraq presidential palace shining very bright little flashlights into big rooms. any idea what they use?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire lights probally aren't nearly expensive enough for the UN crowd. Thy probally use something custom made. (minor sarcasm)

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I saw that news report too! It was on the BBC1 6 o clock news and I was also about to ask the same question! It would be really interesting to know what particular torch they used.
I could imagine the torch being a metallic torch painted white and emblazoned with the letters UN on it...just like thier Land Rovers...etc!
If its like any of the military torches I've seen at army surplus shops it's probably a swivelhead or angle-headed torch.

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
...just like thier Land Rovers...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think they use Land Cruisers. For the past couple years, international news has been one big Toyota commercial
wink.gif

Sorry for the thread drift. I'm researching the possiblity of importing a Canadian BJ60 or HJ60 Diesel Land Cruiser into the US and have Cruiser on the brain. Even if I have to "settle" for a US spec. FJ60 or FJ62 I think it would be funny to get a white one and paint "UN" on the door
grin.gif

artar

Enlightened
Originally posted by dilettante:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
...just like thier Land Rovers...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think they use Land Cruisers. For the past couple years, international news has been one big Toyota commercial
wink.gif

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">they use only NISSAN PATROLS

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick Google search of "United Nations" and "Flashlights" brought up a procurement page...which wanted to download the Chinese language. This would imply that the UN gets their flashlights from the same place that Wal-Mart does. (china - for the sarcastically impaired)

artar

Enlightened
i guess that the UN people drive NISSAN PATROL when german tv is around.
than when US tv is around they change to Land Cruisers and when some british tv is around they cruise with their rovers.

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
Hmm . . a quick Google search of "United Nations" and "Nissan Patrol" confirmed they definitely use Nisan Patrols. But a quick google search of "United Nations" and "Land Cruiser" suggests they use those, too. For example, Toyota says ". . . the United Nations chooses the robust Land Cruiser 95 for its most testing aid missions." See http://www.toyota.ee/eng/models/?model=lc95&subject=main. Then again, a Google search of "United Nations" and "Land Rover" also turned up positive results . . .

Maybe the manager of each mission gets to pick whatever he or she wants
wink.gif

Any more speculation on their flashlights?