Return it ? or keep it ?

Severe

Newly Enlightened
I have a friend who just purchased a Streamlight luxeon star
task light and he says that at it's tightest focus it looks ringy, first a white spot than a darker ring and than a lighter area and that this tends to dissapate somewhat as he zooms out. Is this normal? should he return it? He says the light is white accept for the dark ring.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my opinion but it is shared with many others included many manufacturers. In my opinion focus adjustment on flashlights is garbage.

With the techniques they use to focus the light, what your friend got is the result. Any flashllight I've purchased with so-called variable focus, I focus once (usually the tightest beam) and then never mess with it again.

Surefire, one of the best does not make a focusing flashlight, specifically because of your friends results, they state so specifically in their literature.

If your friend can't live with it, buy a fixed focus light.

GregR

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I focus once (usually the tightest beam) and then never mess with it again. >>>>>>>>>>>>

But you CAN fix the beam. If you get a crappy beam (common with all manufacturers) with a fixed focus, er, it's crappy, period.

Loose tolerances exist in the heads, bulbs, and LEDs.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ummmm, Guys? All the signs point to the conclusion that the Streamlight Tasklight Luxeon isn't really meant to be focusable... Neither the website specs or the packaging mentions "adjustable focus" for that light, while it IS specifically mentioned for all of the Twin Tasks... It's prefocused to produce a bright spot of light when the bezel is tightened.

http://streamlight.com/tasklight_specifications.htm

If someone has a problem with the slight rings from the light, hand them a minimag and let them compare the beams... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
QB- I agree that they say it is not meant to be focusable; BUT, I can easily dial in a fairly uniform hot spot of about 10" from five feet with my 3AA Lux; then loosen a bit to get a much smaller hot spot with fading peripheral light.

If it will dramatically change focus, the deed speaks for itself.

" it looks ringy, first a white spot than a darker ring and than a lighter area and that this tends to dissapate somewhat as he zooms out.">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He just adjusted the beam..................

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand, but let's not complain about the focusability if it's not MEANT to change focus... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I'm as much a flashaholic as the next guy, but sometimes this "ringy beam" issue is just way overexaggerated. Take it outside and USE it, don't just shine it at a white wall and complain about a thin ring or two. In practical use you won't really notice a few fine rings. If there's a huge hole in the center, that's a differnt story...

Eric_M

Enlightened
Keep it,

Mine is the same way. Like it was said above, take it outside and use it. Try it, you'll like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric