ZebraLight SC51w

JA(me)S

Enlightened
According to ZebraLight's website:

Estimated shipping date: Jan 7, 2011

Cree XP-G Neutral White (color temperature 4200K)

Light Output
  • High: H1 172 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 120 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 86 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
  • Medium: M1 26 Lm (12 hrs) or M2 7Lm (39 hrs)
  • Low: L1 2.2 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.18 Lm (16 days)
  • Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries.
  • 172, 120, 26, 7 and 2.2 Lumen output are current regulated. 86 and 0.18 Lumen output are PWM generated.
- Jas.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Below are all cached posts from November 2 2010 through to the end of February 2011:
No information was lost in this thread when the lights went out at CPF...

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Re: ZebraLight SC51w
Written by Moat on 12-18-2010 05:35 PM GMT

Thanks for the heads-up, Jas. Order placed! This will be my first Neutral tinted light... looking forward to it.

Interesting that the new H51F floody headlamp listed appears to have a frosted glass lens, vs. the older models' non-reflector design. Hoping to see some reviews of that one...

Written by Axion on 12-18-2010 07:16 PM GMT

Definitely going to be picking one of these up. I really like the sound of the Zebralight UI and I love neutral tint lights.

Written by katharsis on 12-18-2010 07:37 PM GMT

Ordered one, yay! :)

Written by LED_Thrift on 12-18-2010 10:00 PM GMT

These will be hard for me to pass up. I love lights that run on Eneloops. Neutral tint is a nice bonus.

Written by Kevin Tan on 12-18-2010 11:48 PM GMT

Just put in my order too. Thanks for the heads up ( I think ?? ) My wallet hates you.....

Written by B0wz3r on 12-19-2010 01:50 AM GMT

Wow! Very nice!!! I like the new spacing on the different modes, both between and within a mode. The high-high should be great, and I find a strobe setting useful in an EDC light. I also like the spacing on the medium and low modes; looks like they're finally spaced enough that it will give four distinct levels; the medium settings on my SC50w+ are so close there's no practical difference in terms of usage for them.

Now to wait for a new neutral headlamp!!!

Written by Vesper on 12-19-2010 02:04 AM GMT

Good news. Thanks for the heads up!

Written by motohooligan on 12-19-2010 03:51 AM GMT

B0wz3r said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by B0wz3rshowthread.php?p=3629552#post3629552
viewpost-right.png
Now to wait for a new neutral headlamp!!!
The H51w is also up for pre-order. The H51w is also up for pre-order.

Written by jonesy on 12-19-2010 07:54 AM GMT

I find it interesting that they are not offering any warm XPG versions of the CR123 variants, just the AA ones. Same goes for headlamps- no H31F flood version for 123 as of yet either. I wonder how many AA lights they sell compared to the CR123's.

Written by cue003 on 12-19-2010 09:19 AM GMT

Nice find. Been waiting on that.

Written by azzid on 12-19-2010 09:34 AM GMT

Oh yeah! would get an sc51w and a h51w as soon as they are available.. been waiting a longtime for this. I hope they would also release a sc60 in neutral or warm flavor.

Written by Illumination on 12-19-2010 10:02 AM GMT

jonesy said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jonesyshowthread.php?p=3629704#post3629704
viewpost-right.png
I find it interesting that they are not offering any warm XPG versions of the CR123 variants, just the AA ones. Same goes for headlamps- no H31F flood version for 123 as of yet either. I wonder how many AA lights they sell compared to the CR123's.
I find it even more surprising that they are shipping the H51F with a cool emitter at the same time they are shipping the SC51W and H51W. All three lights have the same Jan 7 shipping dates... The SC51 (cool) is out of stock and does not have a Jan 7 shipping date. Not sure why they didnt just make a H51WF - to me upfront flood is where a warm emitter would really "shine". I find it even more surprising that they are shipping the H51F with a cool emitter at the same time they are shipping the SC51W and H51W. All three lights have the same Jan 7 shipping dates... The SC51 (cool) is out of stock and does not have a Jan 7 shipping date. Not sure why they didnt just make a H51WF - to me upfront flood is where a warm emitter would really "shine".

Written by pjandyho on 12-19-2010 12:05 PM GMT

Illumination said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Illuminationshowthread.php?p=3629807#post3629807
viewpost-right.png
I find it even more surprising that they are shipping the H51F with a cool emitter at the same time they are shipping the SC51W and H51W. All three lights have the same Jan 7 shipping dates... The SC51 (cool) is out of stock and does not have a Jan 7 shipping date. Not sure why they didnt just make a H31WF - to me upfront flood is where a warm emitter would really "shine".
I guess they don't have enough neutral emitters to go in all the models. Who knows? I guess they don't have enough neutral emitters to go in all the models. Who knows?

Written by forhonor on 12-19-2010 01:26 PM GMT

JA(me)S said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JA(me)Sshowthread.php?p=3628932#post3628932
viewpost-right.png
According to ZebraLight's website:
Estimated shipping date: Jan 7, 2011
dang, not sure i can wait that long. dang, not sure i can wait that long.

Written by skyfire on 12-19-2010 04:06 PM GMT

just placed my order in for a H51w. been waiting for one of these to go with my H501w.

Written by coolabah on 12-20-2010 02:35 AM GMT

Arhh ! ordered the cool version 1 day before the warm version was posted on their website- got tired of waiting...shulda held out just that bit more... :shakehead

Written by Flying Turtle on 12-20-2010 08:36 AM GMT

I couldn't wait either , so I've been playing with a SC50w for a coupe days. Hope the 51w is just as nice.

Geoff

Written by JA(me)S on 12-20-2010 09:09 AM GMT

coolabah said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by coolabahshowthread.php?p=3630477#post3630477
viewpost-right.png
Arhh ! ordered the cool version 1 day before the warm version was posted on their website- got tired of waiting...shulda held out just that bit more... :shakehead
Doh! - but, you'll still get a great light, and have plenty of practice with the UI before you order the neutral... Doh! - but, you'll still get a great light, and have plenty of practice with the UI before you order the neutral...

And - :welcome:

Written by coolabah on 12-20-2010 11:53 PM GMT

JA(me)S said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JA(me)Sshowthread.php?p=3630684#post3630684
viewpost-right.png
Doh! - but, you'll still get a great light, and have plenty of practice with the UI before you order the neutral...

Thanks for the warm welcome- and , you're right , what was I thinking ( must have been momentarily distracted Thanks for the warm welcome- and , you're right , what was I thinking ( must have been momentarily distracted :huh:) OF COURSE I need both lights !!! :naughty:

Written by G23fan on 12-22-2010 09:55 AM GMT

I just ordered mine. I can't wait to get it.

Written by B0wz3r on 12-22-2010 09:53 PM GMT

I already have an SC50w+ and love it. It's one of my two primary EDC lights, with my QAA-R4.

I'm going to pass on the SC51w, but I will get the H51w. :D (I will probably end up getting one of the Spark 1xAA models when they come out too.)

Written by tre on 12-22-2010 10:50 PM GMT

about time. I am going to wait for some of the dealer to stock it though and buy through them. Hopefully an SC60w is next. I've been really liking my SC60 for EDC but I hate the angry blue tint. When the SC60w comes out, my sc60 will be hitting the marketplace in no time.

Written by pjandyho on 12-22-2010 11:02 PM GMT

tre said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by treshowthread.php?p=3633230#post3633230
viewpost-right.png
about time. I am going to wait for some of the dealer to stock it though and buy through them. Hopefully an SC60w is next. I've been really liking my SC60 for EDC but I hate the angry blue tint. When the SC60w comes out, my sc60 will be hitting the marketplace in no time.
Why do you need to wait for dealers to stock up before buying? You could always order direct from ZL. Their prices are slightly cheaper than what the dealers have to offer isn't it? And it includes free shipping if you are in the States. Why do you need to wait for dealers to stock up before buying? You could always order direct from ZL. Their prices are slightly cheaper than what the dealers have to offer isn't it? And it includes free shipping if you are in the States.

Written by FroggyTaco on 12-23-2010 12:10 AM GMT

pjandyho said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pjandyhoshowthread.php?p=3633235#post3633235
viewpost-right.png
Why do you need to wait for dealers to stock up before buying? You could always order direct from ZL. Their prics are slightly cheaper than what the dealers have to offer isn't it? And it includes free shipping if you are in the States.
ZL has a history of adding small yet important changes after the first run of a particular due to feedback or a mistake from the factory. The recent UI bug that caused the SC50+ to come about is a recent example. Getting a light from the 2nd or 3rd production run helps to eliminate that potential issue. ZL has a history of adding small yet important changes after the first run of a particular due to feedback or a mistake from the factory. The recent UI bug that caused the SC50+ to come about is a recent example. Getting a light from the 2nd or 3rd production run helps to eliminate that potential issue.

Written by pjandyho on 12-23-2010 01:02 AM GMT

FroggyTaco said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by FroggyTacoshowthread.php?p=3633276#post3633276
viewpost-right.png
ZL has a history of adding small yet important changes after the first run of a particular due to feedback or a mistake from the factory. The recent UI bug that caused the SC50+ to come about is a recent example. Getting a light from the 2nd or 3rd production run helps to eliminate that potential issue.
But that does not answer the question on why must one buy from the dealers. If anything, I believe ZL themselves would have the latest updates before the dealers. Am I not right? And another question is that has there been any reports of a problem with the SC51 series yet? But that does not answer the question on why must one buy from the dealers. If anything, I believe ZL themselves would have the latest updates before the dealers. Am I not right? And another question is that has there been any reports of a problem with the SC51 series yet?

Written by RedForest UK on 12-23-2010 07:04 AM GMT

Well they already updated the H51 circuit/ui and the SC51 got the same 'v2' circuit as the new H51's. I see the cool versions as market testing and the warm ones are already second or third production runs. The H51w will even have a new body design than the first run H51's.

Written by pjandyho on 12-23-2010 07:49 AM GMT

RedForest UK said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by RedForest UKshowthread.php?p=3633442#post3633442
viewpost-right.png
Well they already updated the H51 circuit/ui and the SC51 got the same 'v2' circuit as the new H51's. I see the cool versions as market testing and the warm ones are already second or third production runs. The H51w will even have a new body design than the first run H51's.
Not so true here either. Remember the SC50 series? There was an SC50w and then later on the SC50w+. I bought the SC50w+ but sold it away because I don't really like the beam profile. It is neither floody nor throwy. I am hoping the SC51w would be more floody since it utilizes an XP-G emitter. Not so true here either. Remember the SC50 series? There was an SC50w and then later on the SC50w+. I bought the SC50w+ but sold it away because I don't really like the beam profile. It is neither floody nor throwy. I am hoping the SC51w would be more floody since it utilizes an XP-G emitter.

Written by Comedie on 01-01-2011 11:48 AM GMT

New around here. Ordered the SC51 a couple days ago. Says backordered and there is no estimated date. I'm wondering about the SC51W, which at least says est Jan 7 ship on their site. Less light but a warmer tint supposedly. I'm on the fence so far as trying to switch my order now.

Then I started wondering some more, generically, about the light tint comments. If the light temperatures are accurate, the SC51 is 6100-6500K, and the SC51W is 4200K. Would seem that the SC51 is thus closer to a daylight adjusted bulb, with more natural color rendition. So with all the talk of 'tints', isn't it really the lower temperature lights that are unnatural in color rendition? Or is the spectrum incomplete, so that the 6100-6500K is not really a closer analog to sunlight. Interesting to note that with all the testing and reviews on this site, I haven't noted any spectrum results. Would quantify the currently subjective 'tinting' talk.

Written by tre on 01-01-2011 02:41 PM GMT

pjandyho said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pjandyhoshowthread.php?p=3633235#post3633235
viewpost-right.png
Why do you need to wait for dealers to stock up before buying? You could always order direct from ZL. Their prices are slightly cheaper than what the dealers have to offer isn't it? And it includes free shipping if you are in the States.
I always buy from dealers because their prices are cheaper than Zebralight direct when you use the CPF discounts and most (if not all) have free shipping too. Also, support is better. If I have an issue, I have the dealer AND Zebralight to bug. And as others said, sometimes they change small things after the initial release of a light. I like to support the dealers too. I always buy from dealers because their prices are cheaper than Zebralight direct when you use the CPF discounts and most (if not all) have free shipping too. Also, support is better. If I have an issue, I have the dealer AND Zebralight to bug. And as others said, sometimes they change small things after the initial release of a light. I like to support the dealers too.

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Written by tre on 01-01-2011 02:46 PM GMT

Comedie said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Comedieshowthread.php?p=3641116#post3641116
viewpost-right.png
New around here. Ordered the SC51 a couple days ago. Says backordered and there is no estimated date. I'm wondering about the SC51W, which at least says est Jan 7 ship on their site. Less light but a warmer tint supposedly. I'm on the fence so far as trying to switch my order now.

Then I started wondering some more, generically, about the light tint comments. If the light temperatures are accurate, the SC51 is 6100-6500K, and the SC51W is 4200K. Would seem that the SC51 is thus closer to a daylight adjusted bulb, with more natural color rendition. So with all the talk of 'tints', isn't it really the lower temperature lights that are unnatural in color rendition? Or is the spectrum incomplete, so that the 6100-6500K is not really a closer analog to sunlight. Interesting to note that with all the testing and reviews on this site, I haven't noted any spectrum results. Would quantify the currently subjective 'tinting' talk.
A light with 6100-6500k color temp has horrible color rendition while a 4200k light has very good color rendition. If you saw the two side by side, you would never choose the cool tints. The other problem with cool tints is they appear blue, purple, green, pink, etc. Some will tell you a light is "pure white" but I will tell you I've rarely seen a cool tint that is pure white. The only way to know which you like for sure is to order both and sell the one you don't like. I bet you will like the SC51w better than an SC51. A light with 6100-6500k color temp has horrible color rendition while a 4200k light has very good color rendition. If you saw the two side by side, you would never choose the cool tints. The other problem with cool tints is they appear blue, purple, green, pink, etc. Some will tell you a light is "pure white" but I will tell you I've rarely seen a cool tint that is pure white. The only way to know which you like for sure is to order both and sell the one you don't like. I bet you will like the SC51w better than an SC51.

Written by Comedie on 01-01-2011 03:04 PM GMT

tre said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by treshowthread.php?p=3641255#post3641255
viewpost-right.png
A light with 6100-6500k color temp has horrible color rendition while a 4200k light has very good color rendition. If you saw the two side by side, you would never choose the cool tints. The other problem with cool tints is they appear blue, purple, green, pink, etc. Some will tell you a light is "pure white" but I will tell you I've rarely seen a cool tint that is pure white. The only way to know which you like for sure is to order both and sell the one you don't like. I bet you will like the SC51w better than an SC51.
OK then,,, I called them up and asked them to change my order to the SC51W. Obviously Jan 1 is not a holiday for them, as they picked up the phone. I ordered 4 different lights in the past few days, so may as well have that SC51W to compare to (Revo SS S2, Mini AA2 S2, LD15, and then this SC51W). OK then,,, I called them up and asked them to change my order to the SC51W. Obviously Jan 1 is not a holiday for them, as they picked up the phone. I ordered 4 different lights in the past few days, so may as well have that SC51W to compare to (Revo SS S2, Mini AA2 S2, LD15, and then this SC51W).

Written by lightening bug on 01-05-2011 05:30 PM GMT

tre said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by treshowthread.php?p=3641255#post3641255
viewpost-right.png
A light with 6100-6500k color temp has horrible color rendition while a 4200k light has very good color rendition. If you saw the two side by side, you would never choose the cool tints. The other problem with cool tints is they appear blue, purple, green, pink, etc. Some will tell you a light is "pure white" but I will tell you I've rarely seen a cool tint that is pure white. The only way to know which you like for sure is to order both and sell the one you don't like. I bet you will like the SC51w better than an SC51.
You are totally right. You are totally right.

Accidentally my supplier sent me an SC 30W although I ordered an SC30.

Thereafter I receved the right one and I could compare both items

This was an eyeopener for me and I returned the SC 30 and kept W version!

Written by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond on 01-05-2011 08:26 PM GMT

Just got my shipment notification on SC51w and H51w today. Woohoo!

Written by Tierdaen on 01-05-2011 09:43 PM GMT

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamondshowthread.php?p=3645527#post3645527
viewpost-right.png
Just got my shipment notification on SC51w and H51w today. Woohoo!
I too just got a shipping notification for an SC51W. A little surprising since I placed the order less than 12 hours ago. I too just got a shipping notification for an SC51W. A little surprising since I placed the order less than 12 hours ago.

Written by recDNA on 01-06-2011 04:38 PM GMT

I can't find the warm version of the headlamp. Where is it available?

Will there be an XM-L version?

Written by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond on 01-06-2011 06:38 PM GMT

recDNA said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by recDNAshowthread.php?p=3646304#post3646304
viewpost-right.png
I can't find the warm version of the headlamp. Where is it available?

Will there be an XM-L version?
H51w: H51w: http://www.zebralight.com/H51w-Headl...hite_p_46.html

It'll be a while before netural/warm XM-L is available. And, why does it really matter? Lumens efficiency difference at 750mA will only be about 10 lumens - completely negligible. Not like an AA cell is going to be pushing 3A through the LED. ;)

Written by tandem on 01-07-2011 10:42 AM GMT

About the only difference the XM-L would provide is a different beam profile and I would argue that the H51 already has such a nice beam profile that it doesn't matter. About the only reason I could see going with the XM-L in this light is if perhaps the XM-L is a little more efficient and gains more than just a couple minutes extra runtime on an AA - something tangible and useful like 10 or 20 would make it worth while. Vf is a little lower than the XP-G R5.The U2 bin starts to make the difference look a little more interesting.

Anyway it is moot for warm/neutral lovers as cool white is all that is available at present.

Written by katharsis on 01-07-2011 06:31 PM GMT

sc51w5107110108034909.jpg

When I opened the mail this morning look what fell out of it :).

Really nice light, feels heavy and durable :).

Written by woodentsick on 01-07-2011 06:52 PM GMT

katharsis said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by katharsisshowthread.php?p=3647341#post3647341
viewpost-right.png

sc51w5107110108034909.jpg

When I opened the mail this morning look what fell out of it :).

Really nice light, feels heavy and durable :).
WOW! that's a nice light, lucky you! How is the tint? I can't wait to get mine! WOW! that's a nice light, lucky you! How is the tint? I can't wait to get mine! :D

Written by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond on 01-07-2011 08:32 PM GMT

Surpisingly, when I got home from work, mine was waiting for me as well. I wasn't sure what to expect but for the money this is one of the nicer AA based lights I have owned - nicer that the Quark AA as far as I am concerned. I really like the switch placement, it is ergonomically well placed.

As the picture shows, the light is lighter in color than it appears on the website.

Written by Marbouk on 01-08-2011 12:21 PM GMT

I already have the regular sc51 which i think is the best edc light you can get.

I wasn`t going to buy anymore lights but having read to many threads here at CPF i have to try out a warm tint that everyone raves about.

So as the sc51 is already the perfect light i`ve ordered the warm version :)

It says on back order but hopefully i won`t be much of a wait. I will take some photos to compare when it arrives.

Written by Comedie on 01-08-2011 01:10 PM GMT

Comedie said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Comedieshowthread.php?p=3641270#post3641270
viewpost-right.png
OK then,,, I called them up and asked them to change my order to the SC51W. Obviously Jan 1 is not a holiday for them, as they picked up the phone. I ordered 4 different lights in the past few days, so may as well have that SC51W to compare to (Revo SS S2, Mini AA2 S2, LD15, and then this SC51W).
Arrived yesterday. As did A 4sevens Revo SS S2 and Mini AA2 S2. I rather like the Zebralight. Of the three, the tint on the SC51W is the best, the Revo is OK, and the Mini S2 is quite green tinged. The SC51W is more to my liking in switching. The button is more convenient to me than the on-off twisting needed on the other two. The Mini S2 is going on my keychain tho, as in the hand it feels better for that duty, especially once I replace the provided split ring with a swivel. Isn't really a convenient keychain mount for the SC51W, but it is a bit short for that duty in my hand anyway. Arrived yesterday. As did A 4sevens Revo SS S2 and Mini AA2 S2. I rather like the Zebralight. Of the three, the tint on the SC51W is the best, the Revo is OK, and the Mini S2 is quite green tinged. The SC51W is more to my liking in switching. The button is more convenient to me than the on-off twisting needed on the other two. The Mini S2 is going on my keychain tho, as in the hand it feels better for that duty, especially once I replace the provided split ring with a swivel. Isn't really a convenient keychain mount for the SC51W, but it is a bit short for that duty in my hand anyway.

Written by pae77 on 01-08-2011 01:23 PM GMT

tandem said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by tandemshowthread.php?p=3647007#post3647007
viewpost-right.png
About the only difference the XM-L would provide is a different beam profile and I would argue that the H51 already has such a nice beam profile that it doesn't matter. About the only reason I could see going with the XM-L in this light is if perhaps the XM-L is a little more efficient and gains more than just a couple minutes extra runtime on an AA - something tangible and useful like 10 or 20 would make it worth while. Vf is a little lower than the XP-G R5. The U2 bin starts to make the difference look a little more interesting.

Anyway it is moot for warm/neutral lovers as cool white is all that is available at present.
I've already been playing with a white XM-L T6 in a P60 drop-in. Couple of points: I've already been playing with a white XM-L T6 in a P60 drop-in. Couple of points:

In terms of beam profile and output, an XM-L T6 is literally like having three XPG's rolled into one emitter. Iows, 600 lumen output (at least) (if driven conservatively), and possibly lots more if pushed harder than 2.5 to 3.0 Amps.

Second, in terms of tint, the white XM-L is already very close to a neutral white tint, imo. It has a bit of yellow in it that brings it pretty close to neutral and looks great, imo. I'm one who swore I would only buy neutral tints but I'm perfectly satisfied with the tint of the XM-L T6 white, which is closer to neutral than white, imo.

After experiencing the XM-L, I think it's very likely that I won't be buying any more XPG based lights. It's NOT just that the XM-L is about 20% more efficient than the XPG. The XM-L beam is so much better with it's powerful huge hot spot and very bright and wide spill. While it has a floody beam, it also throws considerably better than an XPG, so the flood in this case is not a disadvantage, imo.

What I'm really looking forward to, and will be saving my flashlight dollars for (while I play with my XM-L drop-ins) is for Zebralight to put an XM-L in the SC60 body. That will be like having a powerful car headlamp in the palm of your hand in a relatively small package, powered by a single 18650. And I'm not exaggerating: I actually turned off my car's headlamps and drove for a bit (on a very quiet street) by the light of a single XM-L on max and was surprised and how it easily lit up the whole road pretty much as well as my car's Xenon headlamps.

The amazing thing is that these awesome next generation emitters cost only a couple of dollars more than the XPG's, (unlike the SST 50 and their ilk, which are quite expensive). My 600 lumen XM-L T6 5 mode drop-in cost only $18.80 shipped.

Comparison of size of XPG (left) and XM-L (right):

21omev.jpg

Sorry for the OT comments. Now back to the SC51w.

Written by recDNA on 01-08-2011 07:06 PM GMT

Illumination said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Illuminationshowthread.php?p=3629807#post3629807
viewpost-right.png
I find it even more surprising that they are shipping the H51F with a cool emitter at the same time they are shipping the SC51W and H51W. All three lights have the same Jan 7 shipping dates... The SC51 (cool) is out of stock and does not have a Jan 7 shipping date. Not sure why they didnt just make a H51WF - to me upfront flood is where a warm emitter would really "shine".
I agree. I agree.

Written by recDNA on 01-08-2011 07:09 PM GMT

Sorry for the OT comments. Now back to the SC51w.[/QUOTE]

I think XM-L is perfect for a headlamp because I like a floody headlamp. I prefer XP-G or R2 in a hand held light because I like more throw than XM-L can produce in a 1 inch head. Now if you're willing to go with a 2 or 3 inch head the XM-L wins in all categories.

Written by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond on 01-08-2011 08:16 PM GMT

pae77 said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pae77showthread.php?p=3648058#post3648058
viewpost-right.png
I've already been playing with a white XM-L T6 in a P60 drop-in. Couple of points:

In terms of beam profile and output, an XM-L T6 is literally like having three XPG's rolled into one emitter. Iows, 600 lumen output (at least) (if driven conservatively), and possibly lots more if pushed harder than 2.5 to 3.0 Amps.

Second, in terms of tint, the white XM-L is already very close to a neutral white tint, imo. It has a bit of yellow in it that brings it pretty close to neutral and looks great, imo. I'm one who swore I would only buy neutral tints but I'm perfectly satisfied with the tint of the XM-L T6 white, which is closer to neutral than white, imo.

After experiencing the XM-L, I think it's very likely that I won't be buying any more XPG based lights. It's NOT just that the XM-L is about 20% more efficient than the XPG. The XM-L beam is so much better with it's powerful huge hot spot and very bright and wide spill. While it has a floody beam, it also throws considerably better than an XPG, so the flood in this case is not a disadvantage, imo.
I really do need to play with an XM-L to see how I feel about the tint comparison. I have to admit I am a skeptic most of the times when people say they are happy with a cool tint because it looks so close to a neutral. Most of the time when I listen to the hype and do my own RGB comparison I am highly disappointed. Usually the claimed led still blows out the blues and underwhelms the reds relative to that of a 5A/5B neutral tint XP-G. I really do need to play with an XM-L to see how I feel about the tint comparison. I have to admit I am a skeptic most of the times when people say they are happy with a cool tint because it looks so close to a neutral. Most of the time when I listen to the hype and do my own RGB comparison I am highly disappointed. Usually the claimed led still blows out the blues and underwhelms the reds relative to that of a 5A/5B neutral tint XP-G.

There is no way any light on a single AA is pushing over 1A (if even remotely close) to the emitter for any period of time - so I feel that arguement ends there.

And - for all of you who think the XM-L is gods gift to efficiency - I really wish you would check you specs before blowing BS about it being 20% more efficient. Fact: XM-L T6 @ 700ma = 280 bulb lumens. Fact XP-G R4 neutral (an I am not even claiming a S2 or S3 rated XP-G @ 350ma = min. 130 bulb lumens.

Please see Page 6 of this link here: http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXP-G.pdf to see that the relative flux at 700mA is 180%. For a R4 bin = 234 lumens. So for a R bin you are only talking a 16.4% difference. For a S3 the flux at 700mA is exactly the same.

I'm sorry but I don't see the benefit. It sound just like the arguement when the XP-G came out - let's put an XP-G in everything because it's so cool - even if the reflector isn't ideal for the LED, etc.... Don't take me to be a critic - I am all for forward progress - i just don't see it in the Zebralight AA application,

Written by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond on 01-08-2011 08:17 PM GMT

And btw - I clipped the light onto my daughters baby carriage tonight as we walked down the hill to a party. It was perfect for lighting out way!

Written by recDNA on 01-08-2011 09:40 PM GMT

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamondshowthread.php?p=3648459#post3648459
viewpost-right.png
I really do need to play with an XM-L to see how I feel about the tint comparison. I have to admit I am a skeptic most of the times when people say they are happy with a cool tint because it looks so close to a neutral. Most of the time when I listen to the hype and do my own RGB comparison I am highly disappointed. Usually the claimed led still blows out the blues and underwhelms the reds relative to that of a 5A/5B neutral tint XP-G.

There is no way any light on a single AA is pushing over 1A (if even remotely close) to the emitter for any period of time - so I feel that arguement ends there.

And - for all of you who think the XM-L is gods gift to efficiency - I really wish you would check you specs before blowing BS about it being 20% more efficient. Fact: XM-L T6 @ 700ma = 280 bulb lumens. Fact XP-G R4 neutral (an I am not even claiming a S2 or S3 rated XP-G @ 350ma = min. 130 bulb lumens.

Please see Page 6 of this link here: http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXP-G.pdf to see that the relative flux at 700mA is 180%. For a R4 bin = 234 lumens. So for a R bin you are only talking a 16.4% difference. For a S3 the flux at 700mA is exactly the same.

I'm sorry but I don't see the benefit. It sound just like the arguement when the XP-G came out - let's put an XP-G in everything because it's so cool - even if the reflector isn't ideal for the LED, etc.... Don't take me to be a critic - I am all for forward progress - i just don't see it in the Zebralight AA application,
First I'd never use XM-L with AA. No reason not to put one in the CR123 model though. First I'd never use XM-L with AA. No reason not to put one in the CR123 model though.

Second There is no reason not to run at 1.2 amps with a single CR123. Even Quark is driven at .9 amp

Third Even if you are determined to underdrive at .7 amps the advantage is a bigger hotspot which is ideal for floody applications that headlamps excel at.

As for the tint if you need neutral white I actually like the XP-E Q3 better than the R4 but I actually don't mind any tint except for green.

Written by davidt1 on 01-09-2011 04:53 AM GMT

Yes, XM-L in H501 body please, if Zebralight can make it work without having to use a frosted lens. The new H series is a lot bigger than the H501 which is already bigger the H50 it replaces. My H501 is just the perfect size for neck EDC.

Written by macnoodle on 01-10-2011 06:10 AM GMT

Looks like they're out of stock and on back-order again. :(

Just as well I got my shipment notification today. :D

Written by run4jc on 01-10-2011 02:12 PM GMT

Interesting - I ordered one last night with the site clearly showing "Backorder"...got the shipping notice today! Site still says "Backorder"...

Written by experimentjon on 01-10-2011 03:34 PM GMT

Oh wow. They're on backorder already!? I regret not putting my order in early. I hope the CPF dealers get them in stock soon!

Written by gsimon on 01-10-2011 04:08 PM GMT

same here, i ordered the headlamp version yesterday afternoon and got confirmation today that it shipped. Cant wait!

Written by run4jc on 01-10-2011 04:13 PM GMT

Please understand - they were showing "backorder" when I ordered mine Sunday and it shipped today...maybe they actually have a few! Give it a shot...

experimentjon said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by experimentjonshowthread.php?p=3649968#post3649968
viewpost-right.png
Oh wow. They're on backorder already!? I regret not putting my order in early. I hope the CPF dealers get them in stock soon!

Written by macnoodle on 01-10-2011 07:44 PM GMT

You'd think they'd update the status on their site... I mean, it's not that hard! :shakehead

P.S. They were showing "back order" when I ordered, but they also still had the notice in red font, informing customers that the light will start shipping on 7 January. That notice has since been removed, making me think that they are starting to (or have already) run out of stock.

Written by Lite_me on 01-10-2011 10:40 PM GMT

I, also ordered an SC51w on the 5th and received shipping conformation on the 7th. Received the light today. The 10th.

Very nice tint. It's much warmer than my org SC51 (cool ver) But just a bit cooler, or, not quite as warm as, my SC50w+. However you'd want to categorize it. It's in-between. Just like it says. It's the best of the 3 fer sure.

Not sure how you could ask for much better. Nice!

Written by g.p. on 01-10-2011 11:14 PM GMT

I'm pretty new to high end flashlights and don't really understand the draw to "warm tint" lights. The lights that I have that are considered warm appear yellow-ish (like a crappy old incandescent bulb), and dimmer for the amount of lumens that they are supposed to have. I really can't see the appeal to this. Why would anyone want all of the colors tinted yellow and less visible light? Am I missing something, or do my warmer lights just suck?

I do have some lights that go too far the other way and appear purple/green/blue, which isn't appealing either. I have the original SC51 which I thought was the perfect light, is this one really that much better? Does it appear dimmer and/or yellow?

Written by pjandyho on 01-11-2011 12:43 AM GMT

g.p. said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by g.p.showthread.php?p=3650353#post3650353
viewpost-right.png
I'm pretty new to high end flashlights and don't really understand the draw to "warm tint" lights. The lights that I have that are considered warm appear yellow-ish (like a crappy old incandescent bulb), and dimmer for the amount of lumens that they are supposed to have. I really can't see the appeal to this. Why would anyone want all of the colors tinted yellow and less visible light? Am I missing something, or do my warmer lights just suck?

I do have some lights that go too far the other way and appear purple/green/blue, which isn't appealing either. I have the original SC51 which I thought was the perfect light, is this one really that much better? Does it appear dimmer and/or yellow?
There are plenty of discussions circulating around CPF discussing on the merits of neutral white or high CRI emitters. Doing a search would show you plenty of answers. Incand bulb may be outdated in terms of efficiency but it is by no means crappy when it comes to color rendition. It is a light source that produces a score of 100 on the Color Rendering Index chart when even the highest CRI LED could only achieve 96. Your so called cool white tint only manages somewhere in the range of 65 to 75 in the CRI chart. A neutral white could manage about 80 plus, and a high CRI LED usually in the range of 90 plus. Try shining a cool white LED against a tree and also compare it to a neutral white emitter at the same time and tell me which looks better. You could also take a look at this There are plenty of discussions circulating around CPF discussing on the merits of neutral white or high CRI emitters. Doing a search would show you plenty of answers. Incand bulb may be outdated in terms of efficiency but it is by no means crappy when it comes to color rendition. It is a light source that produces a score of 100 on the Color Rendering Index chart when even the highest CRI LED could only achieve 96. Your so called cool white tint only manages somewhere in the range of 65 to 75 in the CRI chart. A neutral white could manage about 80 plus, and a high CRI LED usually in the range of 90 plus. Try shining a cool white LED against a tree and also compare it to a neutral white emitter at the same time and tell me which looks better. You could also take a look at this thread which I had posted and see for yourself the difference in terms of color rendition. If not for the lack of efficiency in an incand bulb, trust me, I would still be using them over LEDs.

You may be wondering why can't cool white LEDs produce the color spectrum that our eyes see? First, we all learn in science class that red, green, and blue light form white light. White light formed using RGB spectrum would have no problems bringing out the full color spectrum on an object, but that is not the case with LEDs. The white we see from LED lights are formed with a die that emits a blue light and corrected using yellow phosphors to achieve as near to white as possible. Theoretically speaking it lacks the red spectrum and there is no way a cool white LED could bring out all the color spectrum in a given object that it is shined on. Close but never near 100%.

Written by macnoodle on 01-11-2011 01:14 AM GMT

I also find that my depth perception (3-dimensinal information) is much better with a neutral-white light than when I use my cool-tints. I have to turn the cooler lights up quite a bit higher, to get the same amount of "subconscious information" (stuff that my brain recognises without me having to think about it). From reading these forums, I've learned that I am not alone in this. :)

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Written by g.p. on 01-11-2011 08:12 AM GMT

Well, thank you for the explanation and the great link. I guess I'm just weird or see colors differently. I have no idea what all the numbers mean, but from the link that you provided I prefer the cooler (or maybe it's nuetral) tints. The warmer pictures (take the owl pics for example) just seem to look all yellow and brown to me. I doubt that the leaves on the tree look brown in the day time, so the cooler picture with the green leaves looks better to me - more natural. The picture of the three palm trees is another great example. I prefer the middle one becasue it doesn't look brown and yellow, and shows the greens. I can see how the light can be too cool though, like in the third picture of the tree. Everything is starting to wash out and look white.....or maybe that light is just much brighter.

So in the picture of the three palm trees, would the middle one be considered "nuetral"? I can see how that would be prefered, but still don't like the "warm" one. I can't be alone in this. I read a post recently by a manufacturer that said that warm tints just don't sell. I wish I could find the post because he said that warms are out sold something like ten to one. That could be becasue of the lumen numbers, but I would think that the average buyer of these more expensive flashlights are somewhat knowledgeable on the subject.

Very nice pictures in the link BTW! Thanks for sharing!

Written by pjandyho on 01-11-2011 10:25 AM GMT

On the contrary I was trying to tell you that the warmer tint is the one with more accurate colors. Brown on the trees appear as brown and greens appear as green even though it is quite hard to capture all the colors on camera compared to what our eyes see. The cooler colors are the ones taken with a cool white LED. Anyway to each his own and no one in particular is right on what's best for themselves, and ultimately it boils down to what suits you more.

Regarding cool white (white tint) versus neutral white (warmer tint) sales, it won't be exactly right to conclude the findings of consumer preferences based on what or how much the dealers sell. In every production run of emitters it is always the cool version that comes out first followed by neutral or warm version months later. Many cool white would have been sold before neutral white starts showing up on the shelves. By then most who have bought the cool white version would either have lost interest or funding to acquire another light similar to what they already have but with a different emitter. That said, sales figures are not necessarily an accurate yardstick of emitter popularity.

Written by pjandyho on 01-11-2011 10:26 AM GMT

Deleted. Double posting.

Written by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond on 01-11-2011 11:07 AM GMT

As already stated, neutral and warm are all very relative terms. By Cree definition in the XP-G tint and binning PDF on page 28 here:http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampxp_b&l.pdf neutral white is defined by the 3700-5000K range and can span the entire 3A-5D tin range. Warm white is defined as 2700-3700K and span the 6A - 8D tint range.

That being said - my H51w is a touch warmer than my SC51w, but both are in the cooler/middle of the tint range. I would probably put the at a 4A rating. Not a bad as a 3A-3D, but still they blow out the blues a bit and are a touch lacking in the reds. It is my own very personal preference that my neutral tints are in the 5A/5B/5C range. I find the color rendition the most accurate to incan light and warming.

That being said I am very happy with the SC51w in the backup capacity in which it will serve. As a primary light I may be a bit disappointed.

Written by g.p. on 01-11-2011 11:25 AM GMT

pjandyho said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pjandyhoshowthread.php?p=3650691#post3650691
viewpost-right.png
On the contrary I was trying to tell you that the warmer tint is the one with more accurate colors. Brown on the trees appear as brown and greens appear as green even though it is quite hard to capture all the colors on camera compared to what our eyes see. The cooler colors are the ones taken with a cool white LED. Anyway to each his own and no one in particular is right on what's best for themselves, and ultimately it boils down to what suits you more.

Regarding cool white (white tint) versus neutral white (warmer tint) sales, it won't be exactly right to conclude the findings of consumer preferences based on what or how much the dealers sell. In every production run of emitters it is always the cool version that comes out first followed by neutral or warm version months later. Many cool white would have been sold before neutral white starts showing up on the shelves. By then most who have bought the cool white version would either have lost interest or funding to acquire another light similar to what they already have but with a different emitter. That said, sales figures are not necessarily an accurate yardstick of emitter popularity.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm sorry, it just doesn't look that way to my eyes (or the camera apparently). Even in your photos the greens look brown, which is my real life experience too (like wearing yellow sunglasses during the day I understand what you're saying, but I'm sorry, it just doesn't look that way to my eyes (or the camera apparently). Even in your photos the greens look brown, which is my real life experience too (like wearing yellow sunglasses during the day :sick2:). I see the other side of the argument too, when things get too washed out. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, so nuetrals will probably suit my tastes best. That's what I thought, but was thinking that perhaps I was missing something. :confused: I'm pretty sure that my eyes are working correctly - I just passed an eye exam last week, so I guess I'll just be content with my "old school" SC51. :thumbsup:

I have been reading and found this thread. I guess I'm not the only one with my views, but it sure felt that way after reading all the praises of warm tints. I think post #8 sums it up pretty well. I'm sure if people really wanted warm tints they would vote with their wallets (like you said, everyone knows they will be coming soon after), but that's just not the case. Variety is the spice of life, so buy what you love and love what you buy! :)

Written by pjandyho on 01-11-2011 11:28 AM GMT

I too love the 5A to 5C ranges very much. It is the best tint one could get for a neutral white LED.

Written by davidt1 on 01-11-2011 11:42 AM GMT

This simple comparison page is most effective in convincing me to go with NW. Everything on the left is washed out and lifeless. Everything on the right comes alive with depth and an almost 3-D effect.

http://www.illuminationgear.com/85243.html

Written by pjandyho on 01-11-2011 11:44 AM GMT

g.p. said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by g.p.showthread.php?p=3650756#post3650756
viewpost-right.png
I'm sure if people really wanted warm tints they would vote with their wallets (like you said, everyone knows they will be coming soon after), but that's just not the case.
Hey I did vote with my wallet Hey I did vote with my wallet :)

That said, I do own more cool white lights than I do neutral whites even though I preferred neutrals. That is because most companies are only offering neutral whites as a limited edition run. How do we get to vote with our wallet when we are not even sure if neutral ones would be made available? I would have ordered Zebralight SC51w in a pinch if not for the fact that I am put off by the switch that gets turned on accidentally whenever it sits in my pocket. I sold my SC50w+ due to this reason. My H501w is still with me and I love it for what it could do as a headlamp for my camping trips. Now I will just await the H51Fw before purchasing another headlamp. As for SC51w, as long as Zebralight did nothing to rectify the very sensitive switch, they will never see my money for it.

Written by maniacyak on 01-11-2011 11:53 AM GMT

g.p. said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by g.p.showthread.php?p=3650756#post3650756
viewpost-right.png
I understand what you're saying, but I'm sorry, it just doesn't look that way to my eyes (or the camera apparently).
The camera adds another complication - they don't "see" things like we do either. IMO the only way to be sure whether you like neutral/warm tints or high CRI LEDs is to try them out. If not, sell or gift the light, but at least you've tried it. The camera adds another complication - they don't "see" things like we do either. IMO the only way to be sure whether you like neutral/warm tints or high CRI LEDs is to try them out. If not, sell or gift the light, but at least you've tried it. :thumbsup:

Written by g.p. on 01-11-2011 12:28 PM GMT

davidt1 said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by davidt1showthread.php?p=3650778#post3650778
viewpost-right.png
This simple comparison page is most effective in convincing me to go with NW. Everything on the left is washed out and lifeless. Everything on the right comes alive with depth and an almost 3-D effect.

Thanks for the link....that's perfect. Thanks for the link....that's perfect. :thumbsup: That confirms that I'm a nuetral man. According to what it says at the bottom 5500k and up is considered "cool", and 2700-3000k is considered "warm". I assume that everything in the middle is therefore "neutral". I too prefer the pictures on the right, but they were taken with a 4300K (nuetral) light. I looked up some of my most favorite lights and they seem to be in the 4500K range, so I'm definitely a nuetral man.
pjandyho said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pjandyhoshowthread.php?p=3650780#post3650780
viewpost-right.png
How do we get to vote with our wallet when we are not even sure if neutral ones would be made available?
Those companies that do offer warm tints would see the nuetral or cool tint sales drop off once they offered a warm version if that's mostly what people wanted. All that I can find are posts of manufactures saying that "warms don't sell" and that "cool sells better". I can't find any posts that say anything along the lines of "cools sell better until warms are available". It appears that cools sell better, period. If what you say is true then Zebralight should see the SC51w out sell the SC51 now that the warmer version IS available. It would be interesting to find out if that is the case. Those companies that do offer warm tints would see the nuetral or cool tint sales drop off once they offered a warm version if that's mostly what people wanted. All that I can find are posts of manufactures saying that "warms don't sell" and that "cool sells better". I can't find any posts that say anything along the lines of "cools sell better until warms are available". It appears that cools sell better, period. If what you say is true then Zebralight should see the SC51w out sell the SC51 now that the warmer version IS available. It would be interesting to find out if that is the case.

edit: Now that I've put numbers to what I like I see that I would prefer the SC51w better. AAGGHHH.....MORE MONEY! You guys suck! :eek: :mad: :sick2: Just kidding! :)

Written by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond on 01-11-2011 12:32 PM GMT

davidt1 said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by davidt1showthread.php?p=3650778#post3650778
viewpost-right.png

I completely agree - who's ever seen a grey tree? Most bark I see is brown and that's how it appears on the right side. I completely agree - who's ever seen a grey tree? Most bark I see is brown and that's how it appears on the right side.

@g.p. - you do realize you are in a SC51w thread, right? Why come on here and tell us you prefer your cool LED light? And as for post #8 which you reference ask me why, once again, you insist on offending me and the others who DO PREFER warmer tint LEDs. There are many cool LED threads that I am sure would be of more interest.

Written by g.p. on 01-11-2011 12:48 PM GMT

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamondshowthread.php?p=3650820#post3650820
viewpost-right.png
@g.p. - you do realize you are in a SC51w thread, right? Why come on here and tell us you prefer your cool LED light? And as for post #8 which you reference ask me why, once again, you insist on offending me and the others who DO PREFER warmer tint LEDs. There are many cool LED threads that I am sure would be of more interest.
Because I'm new to flashlights, as I stated. I didn't know what I liked until I was helped out on here to verify what I liked. All I knew before asking questions on this thread were: Because I'm new to flashlights, as I stated. I didn't know what I liked until I was helped out on here to verify what I liked. All I knew before asking questions on this thread were:

1-I read tonnes of posts about "warm" lights on CPF, and how awesome they are.

2-I love my SC51.

3-This thread will have people that also love the SC51 (and SC51w), and can compare them.

What makes sense about going to a cool thread and asking "why should I like warm tints"? :confused: Guess what they're going to say - "don't like warm tints!" :duh2:

From the help on here I've found that I prefer "nuetral" tints, which is in fact what the SC51w is according to the illuminatiogear.com link provided above.

BTW, why does it insult you to have someone that doesn't prefer what you prefer? I'm not insulted that everyone doesn't drive the same vehicle as me, or that another brand sells more? :confused:

Written by g.p. on 01-11-2011 01:09 PM GMT

Sorry if I insulted anyone by mentioning the term "cool' and "cooler" in this thread. I can go and edit my posts if it upsets anyone. Like ShineOn himself stated, they are relative terms, and I guess I should have used degrees Kelvin to get across what I actually meant. In my defence, I didn't know what degrees Kelvin were until this morning though. Most of the time when I mentioned "cooler" and "cool" I was actually refering to "neutral". As it turns out the SC51w is in fact "nuetral", and not "warm" (just warmer than the standard SC51 I guess).

Either way, I appreciate the help in figuring out what I like, in actual numbers. This will really help my future spending decisions.....and now that I'm educated I can help bump up those warmer tint numbers, since nuetral seems to be included in that group (see I'm one of you now :grouphug:, no need to get offended!). :kiss:

Written by vali on 01-11-2011 02:28 PM GMT

I dont care about depth perception, CRI, etc... I just like the NW tint.

Written by Flying Turtle on 01-11-2011 03:10 PM GMT

For someone who has both the SC50w and now the SC51w, how do they compare? Are the lows and tint about the same? I recently got the SC50w and am quite pleased.

Geoff

Written by GeoBruin on 01-11-2011 03:25 PM GMT

Just throwing this out there for anyone hesitant about ordering because of the "Backorder" disclaimer on the ZL site. I ordered last night and I got a shipping notification today.

Cheers!

Written by B0wz3r on 01-11-2011 03:29 PM GMT

Flying Turtle said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Flying Turtleshowthread.php?p=3650958#post3650958
viewpost-right.png
For someone who has both the SC50w and now the SC51w, how do they compare? Are the lows and tint about the same? I recently got the SC50w and am quite pleased.

Geoff
I've got both an SC50w+ and an H51w, which has the same emitter and reflector assembly as the SC51w. I've got both an SC50w+ and an H51w, which has the same emitter and reflector assembly as the SC51w.

The hotspot on the 51w is larger than that of the 50w+ and has a more clearly defined boundary to it, although it still has some transition. The hotspot on the 50w+ is a little smaller and seems to just sort of melt away very gradually into the spill in comparison. Not sure if the hotspot on the 50w+ really is smaller though, or if it's just an artifact of the reflector and the beam profile it creates.

The tint of the 51w is cooler than that of my 50w+, although I'd say it certainly still qualifies as 'neutral'. Perhaps even moreso, because it's whiter than the 50w+ which in my sample has a clearly noticeable yellowish tint. The 51w has both green and blue in the beam in direct comparison, though in actual use it's hard to see and I can only really see the difference in a direct, side by side comparison. By itself, the tint of the 51w just looks plain white, simply slightly cooler, that's all. It's virtually identical to the tint of my QAA-mini neutral white.

The emitter in the 50w+ is an XPE Q4/5B and it is certainly warmer than the XRE Q3/5A that was in my RRT-0 and in my Jet 3 Pro ST, both of which are more true neutral white. Again, the 51w is definitely cooler, with a more balanced tint overall in comparison to the 50w+ but is slightly on the bluish side compared to the XRE/XPE 5A/B tints. My experience with the XPG neutral whites is they are definitely cooler than the XRE and XPE emitters; while they're not bad, I prefer the tints of the XRE / XPE emitters and don't think I'll be getting anymore lights with neutral XPG's, simply because of my preference. (It also helps keep the CC bill down and my wife from killing me. :D )

Written by skyfire on 01-11-2011 05:37 PM GMT

B0wz3r said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by B0wz3rshowthread.php?p=3650979#post3650979
viewpost-right.png
I've got both an SC50w+ and an H51w, which has the same emitter and reflector assembly as the SC51w.

The hotspot on the 51w is larger than that of the 50w+ and has a more clearly defined boundary to it, although it still has some transition. The hotspot on the 50w+ is a little smaller and seems to just sort of melt away very gradually into the spill in comparison. Not sure if the hotspot on the 50w+ really is smaller though, or if it's just an artifact of the reflector and the beam profile it creates.

The tint of the 51w is cooler than that of my 50w+, although I'd say it certainly still qualifies as 'neutral'. Perhaps even moreso, because it's whiter than the 50w+ which in my sample has a clearly noticeable yellowish tint. The 51w has both green and blue in the beam in direct comparison, though in actual use it's hard to see and I can only really see the difference in a direct, side by side comparison. By itself, the tint of the 51w just looks plain white, simply slightly cooler, that's all. It's virtually identical to the tint of my QAA-mini neutral white.

The emitter in the 50w+ is an XPE Q4/5B and it is certainly warmer than the XRE Q3/5A that was in my RRT-0 and in my Jet 3 Pro ST, both of which are more true neutral white. Again, the 51w is definitely cooler, with a more balanced tint overall in comparison to the 50w+ but is slightly on the bluish side compared to the XRE/XPE 5A/B tints. My experience with the XPG neutral whites is they are definitely cooler than the XRE and XPE emitters; while they're not bad, I prefer the tints of the XRE / XPE emitters and don't think I'll be getting anymore lights with neutral XPG's, simply because of my preference. (It also helps keep the CC bill down and my wife from killing me. :D )
I agree on everything u just posted, and feel the same way. ive had the sc50w, and compared to my h51w it was warmer with a less defined hotspot. the beam of the sc50w reminded me of my HDS high CRI. but not as smooth. I agree on everything u just posted, and feel the same way. ive had the sc50w, and compared to my h51w it was warmer with a less defined hotspot. the beam of the sc50w reminded me of my HDS high CRI. but not as smooth.

I too prefer the tints of the neutral XRE/XPE. my h51w is not as warm as id hoped it to be. on max, it looks white. but as output is lower is gets more yellow. its also cooler than my h501w.

i have a kuku E-series neutral drop-in which uses a 5B bin,i believe, and its much warmer. similiar to the quark neutral XP-Gs.

i noticed green in the tints of the kuku drop-in, neutral XPG quarks, and sc50w.

but no signs of green in my h51w. its as neutral to my eyes as it can get. and the "coolest" neutral tint ive seen besides my SST-50 NB p60 drop-in.

Written by B0wz3r on 01-11-2011 06:15 PM GMT

Skyfire, nice set of lights! :eek:oo:

I too prefer my SC50w to my H51w; for my day to use I prefer the warmer tint and the spacing between the levels. I've replaced my Q-mini AAnw in my cycling bag as my backup/utility light as it's better suited for that than the Mini. Overall, my SC50w+ is my favorite EDC light by a wide margin over my Quark AAnw. So far there really isn't anything about my 50w that I don't like.

Written by Vesper on 01-11-2011 07:32 PM GMT

I received my 51w yesterday and have to say I really like it. Like others have said, tint is less warm then my 50w, but still in the nice neutral range. The bigger, more defined hotspot is also an improvement to my eye, and it does put out a noticeably higher output. The second high level is nice as is the slightly lower low/low setting. Finish is great as usual and its anodizing is a lighter color than my 50w so it's easy to tell them apart. Good stuff.

DSC08504s.jpg

Written by Marbouk on 01-12-2011 02:11 AM GMT

GeoBruin said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by GeoBruinshowthread.php?p=3650976#post3650976
viewpost-right.png
Just throwing this out there for anyone hesitant about ordering because of the "Backorder" disclaimer on the ZL site. I ordered last night and I got a shipping notification today.

Cheers!
That nearly put me off as well but only took 3 days until shipped That nearly put me off as well but only took 3 days until shipped :)

Written by macnoodle on 01-12-2011 03:09 AM GMT

Marbouk said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Marboukshowthread.php?p=3651483#post3651483
viewpost-right.png
That nearly put me off as well but only took 3 days until shipped :)
Makes you wonder why they leave it up there. Is it because the back order only takes three days? I guess it's possible that they sell them as they make them, it just seems strange. Most companies wouldn't consider three days to be "back order". If this is the case, it's refreshing to see some honesty. Makes you wonder why they leave it up there. Is it because the back order only takes three days? I guess it's possible that they sell them as they make them, it just seems strange. Most companies wouldn't consider three days to be "back order". If this is the case, it's refreshing to see some honesty. :)

Written by RedForest UK on 01-12-2011 04:50 AM GMT

Mine shipped less than an hour after I ordered it a few days ago, and that was on 'back-order'. :thinking:

Written by Tierdaen on 01-12-2011 06:04 AM GMT

I got a shipping notification a week ago, but still no light. :( Perhaps customs is holding onto it for a while.

Written by pjandyho on 01-12-2011 06:19 AM GMT

Tierdaen said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tierdaenshowthread.php?p=3651587#post3651587
viewpost-right.png
I got a shipping notification a week ago, but still no light. :( Perhaps customs is holding onto it for a while.
I am quite certain that the lights are shipped from China. It may take about two to three weeks to reach you. I am quite certain that the lights are shipped from China. It may take about two to three weeks to reach you.

Written by B0wz3r on 01-12-2011 06:25 AM GMT

pjandyho said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pjandyhoshowthread.php?p=3651600#post3651600
viewpost-right.png
I am quite certain that the lights are shipped from China. It may take about two to three weeks to reach you.
This is so weird... both lights I've ordered from them have shipped directly from TX and gotten to me within 3 days of placing the order. But some people seem to be having their sent from China and there doesn't seem to be any reliable pattern to where they ship from. Seems like this is an issue with customer service they need to work out. This is so weird... both lights I've ordered from them have shipped directly from TX and gotten to me within 3 days of placing the order. But some people seem to be having their sent from China and there doesn't seem to be any reliable pattern to where they ship from. Seems like this is an issue with customer service they need to work out.

Written by pjandyho on 01-12-2011 06:39 AM GMT

B0wz3r said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by B0wz3rshowthread.php?p=3651603#post3651603
viewpost-right.png
This is so weird... both lights I've ordered from them have shipped directly from TX and gotten to me within 3 days of placing the order. But some people seem to be having their sent from China and there doesn't seem to be any reliable pattern to where they ship from. Seems like this is an issue with customer service they need to work out.
That depends on their stock availability in Tx itself. When I odered the SC50w+ it came straight from Tx. But my H501w came direct from China. Nothing is wrong with that. At least they try to ship the lights to you immediately direct from China, than to have you wait till they receive all the shipment from China, take another few days to process their inventory, before sending it out to the customers, which will take another few days to arrive? I think that is not bad for customer service. That depends on their stock availability in Tx itself. When I odered the SC50w+ it came straight from Tx. But my H501w came direct from China. Nothing is wrong with that. At least they try to ship the lights to you immediately direct from China, than to have you wait till they receive all the shipment from China, take another few days to process their inventory, before sending it out to the customers, which will take another few days to arrive? I think that is not bad for customer service.

Written by Tierdaen on 01-12-2011 07:11 AM GMT

pjandyho said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pjandyhoshowthread.php?p=3651600#post3651600
viewpost-right.png
I am quite certain that the lights are shipped from China. It may take about two to three weeks to reach you.
I live in Taiwan. I live in Taiwan.

Written by pjandyho on 01-12-2011 07:45 AM GMT

Tierdaen said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tierdaenshowthread.php?p=3651629#post3651629
viewpost-right.png
I live in Taiwan.
So how long does it usually take shipments to reach Taiwan from China? So how long does it usually take shipments to reach Taiwan from China?

Written by woodentsick on 01-12-2011 08:15 AM GMT

Pjandyho,

How long did your h501w take to reach Singapore from China? My SC51w was shipped out on 5 Jan but it still hasn't reached yet :(

Thanks for your help,

woodentsick

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Written by Tierdaen on 01-12-2011 09:40 AM GMT

pjandyho said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pjandyhoshowthread.php?p=3651647#post3651647
viewpost-right.png
So how long does it usually take shipments to reach Taiwan from China?
Depends on the part of China, but generally within a week. I'm going to be patient, but I am a little disappointed anyway. Depends on the part of China, but generally within a week. I'm going to be patient, but I am a little disappointed anyway. :D

Written by pjandyho on 01-12-2011 10:11 AM GMT

woodentsick said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by woodentsickshowthread.php?p=3651674#post3651674
viewpost-right.png
Pjandyho,

How long did your h501w take to reach Singapore from China? My SC51w was shipped out on 5 Jan but it still hasn't reached yet :(

Thanks for your help,

woodentsick
The last time it took 3 weeks and 3 days. When I placed the order it happened to be the Lantern Festival and there is a 3 days public holiday in China. After that it is the weekend, so 5 to 6 days wasted. The last time it took 3 weeks and 3 days. When I placed the order it happened to be the Lantern Festival and there is a 3 days public holiday in China. After that it is the weekend, so 5 to 6 days wasted.

Written by pjandyho on 01-12-2011 10:27 AM GMT

Tierdaen said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tierdaenshowthread.php?p=3651738#post3651738
viewpost-right.png
Depends on the part of China, but generally within a week. I'm going to be patient, but I am a little disappointed anyway. :D
Just be patient. A friend of mine who once worked in a reputable courier company told me that at times shipments from China could be held up in the postal office for a week or two while waiting for more shipments to accumulate before sending them out. Why not email Lilian from Zebralight and see what she says? Just be patient. A friend of mine who once worked in a reputable courier company told me that at times shipments from China could be held up in the postal office for a week or two while waiting for more shipments to accumulate before sending them out. Why not email Lilian from Zebralight and see what she says?

Written by run4jc on 01-12-2011 12:21 PM GMT

I feel guilty - my 'backordered' light that I ordered Sunday just showed up at my door. Couldn't resist going straight to my integrating sphere and guess what - just over 170 lumen of the sweetest tinted neutral light I've seen in a while - from a Duracell alkaline battery!

Wow. My first Zebralight - not my last.

Written by davidt1 on 01-12-2011 01:18 PM GMT

pjandyho said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pjandyhoshowthread.php?p=3651782#post3651782
viewpost-right.png
Just be patient. A friend of mine who once worked in a reputable courier company told me that at times shipments from China could be held up in the postal office for a week or two while waiting for more shipments to accumulate before sending them out. Why not email Lilian from Zebralight and see what she says?
This is why it is better for US customers to get their lights from Zebralight US office. Instead of sending, say, 200 lights to 200 US addresses from China, they could send a box of 200 lights to one US address (Zebralight TX) and make things a lot faster for US customers. Both Chinese and US custom only have to deal with one address instead of 200. And the post office can send 200 lights at once. This is why it is better for US customers to get their lights from Zebralight US office. Instead of sending, say, 200 lights to 200 US addresses from China, they could send a box of 200 lights to one US address (Zebralight TX) and make things a lot faster for US customers. Both Chinese and US custom only have to deal with one address instead of 200. And the post office can send 200 lights at once.

Written by Moat on 01-13-2011 02:26 PM GMT

FWIW - Mine arrived today (from China > Michigan), two weeks after shipping notice.

What a great light! I normally dislike multi-mode lights, but the UI on this is just so easy and natural feeling, with nicely spaced levels. True "wow!" output for 1AA. Very nice (slightly yellow-leaning) "vanilla" tint. I do notice PWM on both low levels - with the widest, lowest frequency (by about 5x) on the lowest low.

Written by B0wz3r on 01-13-2011 02:53 PM GMT

davidt1 said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by davidt1showthread.php?p=3651940#post3651940
viewpost-right.png
This is why it is better for US customers to get their lights from Zebralight US office. Instead of sending, say, 200 lights to 200 US addresses from China, they could send a box of 200 lights to one US address (Zebralight TX) and make things a lot faster for US customers. Both Chinese and US custom only have to deal with one address instead of 200. And the post office can send 200 lights at once.
David, thanks for that thought... exactly the kind of thing I was thinking in my original mention about customer service but I just brain faded there... David, thanks for that thought... exactly the kind of thing I was thinking in my original mention about customer service but I just brain faded there...

Written by coolabah on 01-18-2011 12:47 AM GMT

JA(me)S said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JA(me)Sshowthread.php?p=3630684#post3630684
viewpost-right.png
Doh! - but, you'll still get a great light, and have plenty of practice with the UI before you order the neutral...

Guess what ? I emailed Zebralight (this was around Christmas) before they shipped my SC51 and asked them to change to SC51W..... so glad I did, package arrived today (Australia is a long way from China! ) this tint is "perfect" for my eyes... my first Z light LOVE the interface....its now my favourite flashlight (err...for the time being....*sigh* at least until another flashlight trollop mosies past with her high beams flashing... Guess what ? I emailed Zebralight (this was around Christmas) before they shipped my SC51 and asked them to change to SC51W..... so glad I did, package arrived today (Australia is a long way from China! ) this tint is "perfect" for my eyes... my first Z light LOVE the interface....its now my favourite flashlight (err...for the time being....*sigh* at least until another flashlight trollop mosies past with her high beams flashing... :naughty: ... then I'll do the usual swan dive to my wallet.. :shakehead )

Written by coolabah on 01-18-2011 12:50 AM GMT

pjandyho said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pjandyhoshowthread.php?p=3651782#post3651782
viewpost-right.png
Just be patient. A friend of mine who once worked in a reputable courier company told me that at times shipments from China could be held up in the postal office for a week or two while waiting for more shipments to accumulate before sending them out. Why not email Lilian from Zebralight and see what she says?

Yep. Mine sat at the airport in China for 6 days, apparently .... :confused:

Written by popnfresh on 01-18-2011 04:35 PM GMT

Is the reflector/beam pattern for the sc51w the same as the h51w? Are the button/reflector just swapped locations between the two lights, or do they have completely different beams? thanks...

Written by roadkill1109 on 01-20-2011 10:31 PM GMT

tre said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by treshowthread.php?p=3641248#post3641248
viewpost-right.png
I always buy from dealers because their prices are cheaper than Zebralight direct when you use the CPF discounts and most (if not all) have free shipping too. Also, support is better. If I have an issue, I have the dealer AND Zebralight to bug. And as others said, sometimes they change small things after the initial release of a light. I like to support the dealers too.
hello, who's your dealer, and does he/she ship internationally? hello, who's your dealer, and does he/she ship internationally? :)

Written by pjandyho on 01-20-2011 10:47 PM GMT

roadkill1109 said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by roadkill1109showthread.php?p=3660179#post3660179
viewpost-right.png
hello, who's your dealer, and does he/she ship internationally? :)
You are better off buying direct from Zebralight because their prices are inclusive of shipping for international orders. The dealers' rates I have seen are slightly higher and even with the CPF discounts one still has to pay for shipping. You are better off buying direct from Zebralight because their prices are inclusive of shipping for international orders. The dealers' rates I have seen are slightly higher and even with the CPF discounts one still has to pay for shipping.

Written by B0wz3r on 01-21-2011 12:10 AM GMT

popnfresh said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by popnfreshshowthread.php?p=3657580#post3657580
viewpost-right.png
Is the reflector/beam pattern for the sc51w the same as the h51w? Are the button/reflector just swapped locations between the two lights, or do they have completely different beams? thanks...
They both use the same innards, just a different body, so they should have exactly the same beam characteristics. They both use the same innards, just a different body, so they should have exactly the same beam characteristics.

Written by gen on 01-21-2011 08:17 AM GMT

Today i ordered SC51w on zebralight.com

I hope, that "Neutral White" will not disappoint :ironic:

Written by davidt1 on 01-21-2011 12:15 PM GMT

gen said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by genshowthread.php?p=3660528#post3660528
viewpost-right.png
Today i ordered SC51w on zebralight.com

I hope, that "Neutral White" will not disappoint :ironic:
My H51w (my first NW light) makes me hate the cool tint of my H501. My H51w (my first NW light) makes me hate the cool tint of my H501.

Written by hank on 01-21-2011 12:37 PM GMT

Hm -- help me understand one bit about the interface?

One use I have often for my cheap little Trustfire Z1 -- it remembers to come on in strobe mode.

That's useful in crossing the street where I live.

Is there a way to get a Zebralight to memorize the strobe setting and come on with that with a single click?

Written by Glow_Worm on 01-21-2011 12:54 PM GMT

hank said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by hankshowthread.php?p=3660759#post3660759
viewpost-right.png
Is there a way to get a Zebralight to memorize the strobe setting and come on with that with a single click?
No, the strobe is the only secondary setting that can't be forced at turn-on. You have to single-click for Max at turn-on, then double-click for strobe. No, the strobe is the only secondary setting that can't be forced at turn-on. You have to single-click for Max at turn-on, then double-click for strobe.

Written by Flying Turtle on 01-21-2011 12:59 PM GMT

Sorry, no strobe with one click. With the SC50w it takes one click followed by a double click to get to the fast beacon (not really a strobe).

Geoff

Written by JA(me)S on 01-21-2011 03:49 PM GMT

coolabah said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by coolabahshowthread.php?p=3656981#post3656981
viewpost-right.png
Guess what ? I emailed Zebralight (this was around Christmas) before they shipped my SC51 and asked them to change to SC51W..... so glad I did, package arrived today (Australia is a long way from China! ) this tint is "perfect" for my eyes... my first Z light LOVE the interface....its now my favourite flashlight (err...for the time being....*sigh* at least until another flashlight trollop mosies past with her high beams flashing... :naughty: ... then I'll do the usual swan dive to my wallet.. :shakehead )
Smart move mate - patience is rewarded. As for the next trollop; once you go neutral, you never go back! Smart move mate - patience is rewarded. As for the next trollop; once you go neutral, you never go back!

Written by B0wz3r on 01-22-2011 01:40 AM GMT

JA(me)S said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JA(me)Sshowthread.php?p=3660940#post3660940
viewpost-right.png
Smart move mate - patience is rewarded. As for the next trollop; once you go neutral, you never go back!
Right spot-on! As per my own sig... Right spot-on! As per my own sig...

Written by Lite_me on 01-22-2011 03:13 AM GMT

Gotta agree here. After getting my neutral white SC51w and using it for a couple of weeks, I light up one of my older lights with a cool emitter and..it hurts my eyes! That's indoors or out, but one thing that has bugged me for awhile is seeing blue snow! I hate that! This SC51w makes it look so much more natural to me. It's nice.

I think my list of acceptable flashlights just got smaller. It's gonna have to come in this neutral white (~4200K) area for me to even consider it I think.

Written by JA(me)S on 01-22-2011 09:10 AM GMT

Lite_me said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Lite_meshowthread.php?p=3661337#post3661337
viewpost-right.png
Gotta agree here. After getting my neutral white SC51w and using it for a couple of weeks, I light up one of my older lights with a cool emitter and.. it hurts my eyes! That's indoors or out, but one thing that has bugged me for awhile is seeing blue snow! I hate that! This SC51w makes it look so much more natural to me. It's nice.

I think my list of acceptable flashlights just got smaller. It's gonna have to come in this neutral white (~4200K) area for me to even consider it I think.
Isn't it a bittersweet moment?! I have passed on so many lights - great features, technology, etc., - but no neutral option. On the other hand, the search is now easier, as is the budget. Isn't it a bittersweet moment?! I have passed on so many lights - great features, technology, etc., - but no neutral option. On the other hand, the search is now easier, as is the budget.

Until, at least for me, the next step is learning how to do emitter swaps.... can't be too difficult, I've just never done it.

Written by B0wz3r on 01-22-2011 10:26 AM GMT

JA(me)S said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JA(me)Sshowthread.php?p=3661473#post3661473
viewpost-right.png
Isn't it a bittersweet moment?! I have passed on so many lights - great features, technology, etc., - but no neutral option. On the other hand, the search is now easier, as is the budget.
Two more implicit benefits from being one of the 'gang of neutrals'... Two more implicit benefits from being one of the 'gang of neutrals'... :D And yeah, there are several lights out there I'd like to have but won't bother with because they don't offer a neutral option.

Written by QwertyAccess on 01-22-2011 03:04 PM GMT

All this talk of neutral white has convinced me to get the SC51w for my new EDC!

Order placed just now.

Written by run4jc on 01-22-2011 03:43 PM GMT

QwertyAccess said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by QwertyAccessshowthread.php?p=3661725#post3661725
viewpost-right.png
All this talk of neutral white has convinced me to get the SC51w for my new EDC!

Order placed just now.
Great move - you will be pleased. It's a fantastic little light Great move - you will be pleased. It's a fantastic little light :twothumbs

Written by Lite_me on 01-22-2011 05:16 PM GMT

QwertyAccess said:
quote_icon.png
viewpost-right.png

Order placed just now.
I noticed you don't post much, let use know what you think! I noticed you don't post much, let use know what you think!

Written by B0wz3r on 01-22-2011 10:02 PM GMT

QwertyAccess said:
quote_icon.png
viewpost-right.png

Order placed just now.
Congrats! Welcome the Gang of Neutrals!!! Congrats! Welcome the Gang of Neutrals!!! :D

Seriously though... every time I see a cool tinted light next to my SC50w+ or my H51w, it makes me appreciate the tint of my ZL's... Just tonight my wife had me lug out her 12" dob reflector for some backyard stargazing, and compared to the cheapo lights we give to the kids, and even the old QAA R2 I gave her for Christmas back in '09, it's just so much nicer and more pleasing and shows things so much better. Once you go neutral, you'll never go back. :D

Written by macnoodle on 01-23-2011 08:19 PM GMT

It looks like their recent QC is not so good. Some people here already complained about decentered LEDs and sometimes cloudy LEDs, as if the emitter was partly melted during construction, or exposed to some glue or solvent. My SC51W arrived today, and this is what I found :(

p43056908.jpg

I have to day that I'm very disappointed! I love the light and the UI, but for the sort of money they ask, I expect better! This one will be going back for a refund. Not yet sure if I want to order another one. Currently it looks like Zebralight QC is non-existent, or very close to it. :shakehead

Written by pjandyho on 01-23-2011 08:33 PM GMT

That is horrible! I could accept an off-centered emitter provided the beam is ok but the smudge on the LED? No way would I accept that too. Now I am worried. I just ordered a H51Fw and with the frosted lens covering, how am I to check if the LED is smudged like yours? I guess it wouldn't matter anyway since I can't see it.

Written by macnoodle on 01-23-2011 09:36 PM GMT

To be honest, I don't really care that it's smudged. I like the light and the beam it puts out. The reason it's going back is because I don't know WHY it's smudged (what it came into contact with), and how it will affect the LED in the long run. If this was in a $5 light, maybe I could live with it. But not in a $65 light!

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Written by QwertyAccess on 01-23-2011 09:55 PM GMT

a little bit to worry about, hmm mine was on backorder when i placed the order for SC51w, I've heard that Zebralights tends to mess up on their first run and then refine their lights afterwards. Hopefully mine doesn't have smudging like that or i'd be worried as I've had more then a few lights where the LED just failed for no good reason.

Written by macnoodle on 01-23-2011 10:23 PM GMT

I'm getting a refund. Still deciding whether I should reorder or not. I like everything about the light, but don't feel like going through a selection process where I receive several lights before one of them is OK.

Written by roadkill1109 on 01-23-2011 11:59 PM GMT

macnoodle said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by macnoodleshowthread.php?p=3662922#post3662922
viewpost-right.png
To be honest, I don't really care that it's smudged. I like the light and the beam it puts out. The reason it's going back is because I don't know WHY it's smudged (what it came into contact with), and how it will affect the LED in the long run. If this was in a $5 light, maybe I could live with it. But not in a $65 light!
Maybe the installer of the LED had rice or noodles on his hands because he forgot to wash when he put your Zebralight together. QC should have checked this. I guess they dont have any QC. Makes me kind of doubt the SC51 i'm getting...OH NO! Maybe the installer of the LED had rice or noodles on his hands because he forgot to wash when he put your Zebralight together. QC should have checked this. I guess they dont have any QC. Makes me kind of doubt the SC51 i'm getting...OH NO!

Written by roadkill1109 on 01-24-2011 12:35 AM GMT

macnoodle said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by macnoodleshowthread.php?p=3662956#post3662956
viewpost-right.png
I'm getting a refund. Still deciding whether I should reorder or not. I like everything about the light, but don't feel like going through a selection process where I receive several lights before one of them is OK.
yes, such a hassle of having to send it back and forth until one with "passable" quality comes out. That's never the problem with LL's! All ship in perfect condition. Its just up to the user to mess it up! How i wish there was an LL with the interface of the zebra light! yes, such a hassle of having to send it back and forth until one with "passable" quality comes out. That's never the problem with LL's! All ship in perfect condition. Its just up to the user to mess it up! How i wish there was an LL with the interface of the zebra light!

Written by FroggyTaco on 01-24-2011 09:08 AM GMT

roadkill1109 said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by roadkill1109showthread.php?p=3663038#post3663038
viewpost-right.png
That's never the problem with LL's! All ship in perfect condition. Its just up to the user to mess it up! How i wish there was an LL with the interface of the zebra light!
What's an LL? What's an LL?

Written by Flying Turtle on 01-24-2011 09:33 AM GMT

Only thing I can think of is LED Lenser.

Geoff

Edit: Maybe LensLight?

Written by Rod911 on 02-09-2011 12:53 AM GMT

Got home to find a box with a SC51w in it. Looked inside and found the requisite light. Looked a bit more, and found the LED to have the same cloudy'ish gunk around the bottom of the emitter as others have reported.

Doing some white wall hunting, I find that the gunk doesn't affect that beam at all, so in the end, it's not a big deal for me.

One final note - this was ordered through Zebralight directly and it was delivered from China.

Written by silverglow on 02-20-2011 05:04 PM GMT

Rod911 said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Rod911showthread.php?p=3678501#post3678501
viewpost-right.png
Got home to find a box with a SC51w in it. Looked inside and found the requisite light. Looked a bit more, and found the LED to have the same cloudy'ish gunk around the bottom of the emitter as others have reported.

Doing some white wall hunting, I find that the gunk doesn't affect that beam at all, so in the end, it's not a big deal for me.

One final note - this was ordered through Zebralight directly and it was delivered from China.
The LED on my SC51W also has this slighty dull, but still transparent if somewhat irregular layer over its "dome" compared to the LED on my H51, but mercifully it doesn't affect the beam. That's probably the reason ZL builds them in anyway although they must be aware of it. I've already mused what the reason for this might be (too high temperature, solvants being used when assembling the lights or when the LED is produced), but as a layman I can't be sure of course. The LED on my SC51W also has this slighty dull, but still transparent if somewhat irregular layer over its "dome" compared to the LED on my H51, but mercifully it doesn't affect the beam. That's probably the reason ZL builds them in anyway although they must be aware of it. I've already mused what the reason for this might be (too high temperature, solvants being used when assembling the lights or when the LED is produced), but as a layman I can't be sure of course.

What I would really like better with the ZL lights is a black and thicker anodization like for instant with my Eagletac lights (P20A2 and P10A2) which seems much more solid and durable. In the long run the ZL anodization will hopefully prove to be just as durable, but I'm not overly optimistic. Does anyone have longtime experience with the ZL anodization compared to other lights?

If those quality issues where improved, I would be even more happy with this light than I am already because it really puts out an amazing amount of light for its size and one AA, I really like the neutral white color temperature and that it's so compact.

Written by Tierdaen on 02-21-2011 10:55 PM GMT

Heh, after waiting about 2 months, I contacted them and sent them my Chinese address, and got a package a few days later (today). Dropped in an Eneloop and it's pretty nice. LED in mine seems fairly well-centered and the dome looks pretty transparent. It doesn't have the throw of my LD10s (R4 and R5), but the slightly wider and more diffused beam profile seems pretty useful, and the yellowish tint is not unattractive.

I'll have to carry it around a bit before I make any real conclusions about it, but first impressions are not bad.

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Above are all cached posts from November 2 2010 through to the end of February 2011:
No information was lost in this thread when the lights went out at CPF...

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. That is until I lost it last weekend. I was devastated but I have another on order. It's by far my favorite light.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use something very similar to this to keep my NovaTac 120P securely in my pocket:
http://www.tackledirect.com/donnmar-tether.html

I hook it onto a 1 inch split ring I have on the belt loop just above the pocket. It's easy to unhook if needed.

I got mine from CPF member GreenLED, but he doesn't make them anymore, so shop around. Just a thought.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was actually really excited that I had a carry method I liked but it turns out to be hazardous. I was putting the body of the light actually through my side belt loop with the clip on the outside. It freed up my pocket for my knife and it hid the light up high enough that it was hidden under my shirt. But alas, now I'm without my SC51w.

Why can't the utility belt just become a "thing"?

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC51w is my favorite light. I like it even better than my H51w. The SC is on me at all times when I'm around the homestead. But when I leave, I take the H51w with me because it's more versatile and has a deeper pocket clip.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Its the best little light I own, and I own a bunch of little lights. It is so good I simply overlook it looks like my grandmother designed it (old Cadillac gold anodizing complete with fins)... Zebralight's UI, tints/beams, and button near the head (WHY DOESN"T EVERY LIGHT HAVE THIS!?)... The best.

mitro

Newly Enlightened
This thread needs some attention - anyone carrying their SC51w as their main light?
Yes. With summer I'm traveling a little lighter so my SC60w is sitting on the shelf until cooler weather returns while the SC51w is clipped to the shorts pocket.

The SC51w is typical Zebralight awesomeness. :)

pinetree89

Enlightened
Sorry for the bump, but didn't want to start a new thread.

I guess I'm always late to the party, but this was my first Zebralight, also my first "neutral" tinted light. I've gotta say I'm VERY impressed with this little gem. As others have said you always think this thing is going to be much bigger when you look at the pictures, but when you get it in hand you can't believe the size of it. Just a bit larger than your thumb I'd say.

The build quality is top notch. The machining is awesome, emitter is centered well. I noticed the PCB is even sealed/potted to the body by looking down the battery tube. The glass looks very nice and I like the pocket clip.

The UI is very different than anything I've every used. It's taken some getting used to, but it's starting to become second nature to me now.

Oh and 1AA too! This is amazing. I'm a big fan of single cell lights for their form factor as well as not making you dependent on having two or more equally charged cells. This could come in handy if ever forced to scrounge cells. And the lumens available from just this 1AA astounds me.

I have to admit I was hesitant to spend the asking price for such a small single cell light. There are much more economical single cell lights out there, however I've gotta say you get what you pay for and more with the SC51. Think I might try the High CRI model 51 next when funds allow.

Hey Zebra one suggestion: A AAA model!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the bump, but didn't want to start a new thread.

I guess I'm always late to the party, but this was my first Zebralight, also my first "neutral" tinted light. I've gotta say I'm VERY impressed with this little gem. As others have said you always think this thing is going to be much bigger when you look at the pictures, but when you get it in hand you can't believe the size of it. Just a bit larger than your thumb I'd say.

The build quality is top notch. The machining is awesome, emitter is centered well. I noticed the PCB is even sealed/potted to the body by looking down the battery tube. The glass looks very nice and I like the pocket clip.

The UI is very different than anything I've every used. It's taken some getting used to, but it's starting to become second nature to me now.

Oh and 1AA too! This is amazing. I'm a big fan of single cell lights for their form factor as well as not making you dependent on having two or more equally charged cells. This could come in handy if ever forced to scrounge cells. And the lumens available from just this 1AA astounds me.

I have to admit I was hesitant to spend the asking price for such a small single cell light. There are much more economical single cell lights out there, however I've gotta say you get what you pay for and more with the SC51. Think I might try the High CRI model 51 next when funds allow.

Hey Zebra one suggestion: A AAA model!

Welcome to the Gang of Neutrals!!! :D I still EDC my SC50w+ as my regular go-to pocket light. Unlike the 51's, it can run off of a 14500 for a nice little boost that matches the output of the 51w's. My run time needs aren't high, and I prefer the slightly warmer tint of the 50w+, so I've not felt a need to switch to a 51w. I am, however, really jonesing for a 51c! :D

Give yourself a little bit more time, and the UI will become second nature. I find it to be the easiest/best UI of any of the lights I own. Eventually, you'll find yourself trying to use short cuts for the ZL UI on other lights... that's when you'll know you've become hooked on the awesome greatness that is Zebralight! I think of them as the Apple of the
EDC flashlight industry.