side switch single level, low power light

MK9

Newly Enlightened
Where can I find a single level, side switch light that's around 5-10 lumens?

cistallus

Enlightened
Rest of the original thread as recovered from cache

Re: side switch single level, low power light
Written by LED_Thrift on 12-18-2010 09:56 PM GMT

Have you looked at the Safe-Lite Star. They use a 9v battery, and can use batteries that don't have enough power in them for other things. They are on sale right now. For what they are, they are a great light and a great value.

Written by cistallus on 12-19-2010 12:50 AM GMT

MK9 said:
Where can I find a single level, side switch light that's around 5-10 lumens?
Maybe in your local retail stores - I see lights like this by Eveready and others hanging on the racks. If they don't claim a lumen output, you can figure they are in this range. :) Maybe in your local retail stores - I see lights like this by Eveready and others hanging on the racks. If they don't claim a lumen output, you can figure they are in this range. :)

Written by Bronco on 12-19-2010 01:36 AM GMT

4D Maglite?

-

-

-

-

-

Just teasing. :)

Written by Richwouldnt on 12-19-2010 12:08 PM GMT

Eveready has a rechargeable combined emergency light, flashlight and nightlight that is in the output range you want. It has a fold out plug for recharging. The side switch is 3 positions with a low nightlight position, a high or emergency light position and the off position. It is even shaped like a flashlight rather than a nightlight.

When plugged in for charging only the low or nightlight switch position has the LED lit. When unplugged or with a power failure the low and high switch positions both light the LED. It is called the "Energizer Weather Ready Compact Rechargeable LED Light" and I got several for my house on Amazon. Cost is about $10 each.

Written by herbicide on 12-19-2010 02:22 PM GMT

There's thePak-lite, - older, single-mode models still have the slide switch

or the Countycomm SO-LEDs with (also available in ACU Gr[a|e]y) or without clip.

[edit]

Oh... Side. Not S-l-ide.

[/edit]

Written by Lynx_Arc on 12-19-2010 03:07 PM GMT

I think the problem you have is with the low lumen range. You will have to find an older light or convert a slide switch incan to led because side switch lights are rather uncommon and typically are 2AA format and high output. I do have a 0.5watt two level 1AA light but I think the lumens are more than 10 closer to 20 on high and probably 10 on low. They do make D cell lights with side switches (mag, etc) but they are way brighter than 10 lumens. You are probably going to find that low of level only on multilevel lights as a low setting.

Written by cistallus on 12-20-2010 08:54 PM GMT

Here's the kind of light I was thinking of in my post #3 above - has a side slide switch and the 2AA spec sheet says it puts out 10 lumens:http://www.eveready.com/lighting-pro...ashlights.aspx

Written by Lynx_Arc on 12-20-2010 09:12 PM GMT

personally I prefer a clicky side switch over a slide switch myself. If you didn't mind output more like 20 lumens or so dorcy makes a 2 cell and 3-4 cell dropin for $4 plus shipping at frys.com I think. I took a cheap dollar store 2AA swivel slide switch light and replaced the bi pin bulb with a white LED and direct drive it probably gives about 10 lumens.

Written by mcnair55 on 12-21-2010 10:44 AM GMT

Slide switch is the worst form of switch for attracting dirt onto the contact area.

Written by MK9 on 12-21-2010 11:59 AM GMT

That's it!! :thumbsup:

Perfect for the wife's nightstand and the kids' room.

10 Lumens, 40 hour battery life (I know that's probably a very optimistic rating) and common AA (Which I have now aquired a bunch of rechargeables) battery.

To the detractors of the side slide switch; I agree. But these lights will not be outdoor lights and the owners of said lights are not known for the best of care for these and many other items they have used, abused and lost.

Here's the kind of light I was thinking of in my post #3 above - has a side slide switch and the 2AA spec sheet says it puts out 10 lumens: http://www.eveready.com/lighting-pro...ashlights.aspx

Written by Lynx_Arc on 12-21-2010 02:54 PM GMT

slide switches are good because they allow for the cheapest lights to be made. Back in the 70s there wasn't many clicky switches other than an eveready 2AA penlight most were slide switches with a button so you could "flash" or do morse code with the light. These were however sealed sliders for the most part and worked fine. I still have a few of them somewhere.. at least one but because I have gotten away from incans as the batteries die or go bad I have taken almost all of them out of service and paying $6-$20 for an LED dropin on most of these lights isn't worth the cost when you can put that towards a designed from the start LED light. In the 5-10 lumen range you are almost stuck using 5mm LEDs only... multiples of them and possibly optics to give you the spotlight ball effect. But even with todays higher efficiency 5mm LEDs a 3 LED light would probably push closer to 15 lumens.

Written by MK9 on 12-21-2010 07:56 PM GMT

As it turns out it's not so perfect after all. I forgot to mention I would like the light to tailstand. The Eveready mentioned here does not. It has a fully radiused (sp?) bottom. I ended up getting at Lowe's theirTask Light. It's not stated but I'm guessin' it's about 25 Lumens. For a LED flashlight less than $10, for an 8 year old, I'm not going to complain. Thank's for everyone's input

Here's the kind of light I was thinking of in my post #3 above - has a side slide switch and the 2AA spec sheet says it puts out 10 lumens: http://www.eveready.com/lighting-pro...ashlights.aspx

Written by Lynx_Arc on 12-22-2010 01:20 AM GMT

looks about right for an 8 year old IMO. a half watt LED is 20-30 lumens and should run about probably 6-8 hours off alkalines. A good host for some non LSD nimh IMO.... I bet the kid uses it so often that discharge won't be noticed.

Written by MK9 on 12-22-2010 08:35 AM GMT

I thought he'd turn off the lights and shine the light all over the place. the first thing he did was to have me assist him in securing it to his toy revolver for a tactical light.

Lynx_Arc said:
looks about right for an 8 year old IMO. a half watt LED is 20-30 lumens and should run about probably 6-8 hours off alkalines. A good host for some non LSD nimh IMO.... I bet the kid uses it so often that discharge won't be noticed.

Written by Lynx_Arc on 12-22-2010 09:01 PM GMT

MK9 said:
I thought he'd turn off the lights and shine the light all over the place. the first thing he did was to have me assist him in securing it to his toy revolver for a tactical light.
I saw a light on sale at ace hardware for $8 that is about 20 lumens led lenser I think not sure of the specs though rear clicky I believe. I saw a light on sale at ace hardware for $8 that is about 20 lumens led lenser I think not sure of the specs though rear clicky I believe.

Written by tylernt on 12-22-2010 09:41 PM GMT

I have PR2 drop-ins from superbrightleds.com. I stuck them in 88 cent hosts from Walmart, but the nice thing about drop-ins is you have an endless array of incandescent donor options.

Written by Lynx_Arc on 12-23-2010 05:35 AM GMT

I looked at the dropins there, the nicer ones ended up making your incan light cost more than a nicer LED light that would spank it in output. I have converted 2 incans to LEDs using 2 2cell mag led dropins that probably put out 30-50 lumens each. I used to buy 3-4 cell plastic lights and make pr base LED bulbs with resistors in them. I have a few 6v led 3x5mm pr bulbs and a 4led pr bulb you have to make a larger hole in the reflector for it. I typically have gotten away from 5mm based LEDs for most things as I enjoy the nice smoother output of high power LEDs and better tints. If I had a lathe I would make some aluminum slugs for pr dropins for crees and luxeons. My 2D led lights rarely get used they are so heavy for less output.