Legend LX vs Streamlight Scorpion

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I own an LX. I got to handle the Scorpion that I'm going to ship to Onyx SOMEDAY.

Side by side I found:

The Scorp is a nicer shape ie: Body and Head are nicely proportioned compared to LX.

The Scorp switch is easier and feels better than the one on the LX.

The beam of the Scorp was a bit brighter (but brand new batts - mine maybe 10-12 minutes of use) but the LX has a 'smoother' beam.

Based on what I found. Since 123 batteries are about 5 bucks each in brick and mortar stores, and I already own an LX, I won't be buying a Scorp. But if I owned neither, I do believe I'd get the Scorp.

As it is, I bought an EXPENSIVE (for me!) SL Stinger HP. The basic Stinger is a very nicely sized light, and being rechargeable will save me LOADS on 123 batts. I kinda like a switch on the body of a light rather than tailcap, as I like to hold light like a writing instrument and switch it with my index finger.

So you MIGHT wish to consider a Stinger...

But given what you ask, I vote Scorpion.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Scorpion better because it's smaller & the switch works easier.

Other than that the LX is nice because it's cheaper!
icon14.gif

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still don't understand why people complain about the Legend LX switch. I think it feels and works perfectly. My buddy has one and its the same way so its not just mine. What exactly is the complaint about them? I remember reading that some people were complaining that its too stiff. That has to be a joke...

Mark

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Minjin:
I still don't understand why people complain about the Legend LX switch. I think it feels and works perfectly. My buddy has one and its the same way so its not just mine. What exactly is the complaint about them? I remember reading that some people were complaining that its too stiff. That has to be a joke...

Mark
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's too hard to push (LX). I gave one as a gift to my brother and about a week later he asked me if there was a way to make it stay on without holding the button. The point is that he pressed it and it didn't stay on because he didn't press it hard enough. He has used many of my flashlights so he is not new to them. If it's too hard for him then I'm sure he's not the only one. He had no problem with the Scorpion.

Also, I'm sure the stiffness will vary somewhat from unit to unit.

arioch

Enlightened
nascar:

1.)using the adjustable focus on both, I am able to acquire a tighter beam pattern with my scorpion, although that may vary slightly with individual lights.
2.)when carrying, I keep both lights in my pocket. The rubber covering of the scorpion tends to "stick" to the fabric in my pocket when I pull it out. It also sticks in my leather SF 6P belt holster.
3.)the scorpion I currently own was purchased about 1 1/2 years ago, and the rubber covering has dislodged from the aluminum body, which causes it to slide around when I am using it.
4.)I prefer the somewhat stiff switch of the Legend LX; it gives me a more positive "lock on" feeling. Also, although it is not really a factor here in Hawaii, the recessed switch on the scorpion might pose a usage problem in colder areas where gloves are worn.
5.)although not a factor in my decision, I paid about $40.00 for my scorpion, and about $23.00 for my Legend LX.
6.)brightness for both are about the same (eyeball comparison).

IMHO, I would give the overall advantage for my usage to the Legend LX, although both lights are excellent and economically sound choices (for non rechargeable 2x123 lights). Despite the minor disadvantages I found with my scorpion, I did not hesitate to recommend them to my security friends, and convinced 3 of them to get them. Please also keep in mind that I only recently purchased my Legend LX 2 months ago; I had more time to evaluate the scorpion.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I own both the scorpion and the LX. I personally like the scorpion for several reasons:

1. The bulb in the scorpion does not come loose like the LX, which causes the LX to come out of focus(LX and scorpion both have adjustable focus). I have found that bending the leads of the bulb help it from coming out though.
2. The scorpion produces a whiter light. In my particular case, it also produces a better beam.
The LX does produce a tighter beam, however.
3. The switch on the scorpion is much easier to use press than the LX.
4. The scorpion seems to be built with a shock prevention (spring) and the LX does not. This could save a few bulbs. I have dropped my scorpion many times with no ill effects. I haven't dropped my LX hard enough to cause a bulb failure.
5. Scorpion is smaller.

Both of these lights are great lights, especially considering the price. Right now I am trying to think of a good reason NOT to buy another LX!!!!
grin.gif

Cheers

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
The Legend LX isn't all that much cheaper when you can get the Scorpion for $25.00 at Botach. Not only that but if you buy the Scorpion they'll sell you 20 123's for $25.00. Either way, it's a pretty good deal.

Streamchucker

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own an LX, but no Scorpion. The LX beam is adjustable, like the Scorpion's. I actually like a stiffer tail switch, so that it won't accidentally turn on. Granted, the head is bigger, but, remember that there are patent issues involved, so Brinkmann has to do things a bit differently.

There are alot of personal likes and dislikes surfacing here. Objectively, the LX is a very good light.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spring coils in the LX is just too strong. It won't allow you to push down unless you do it with the tip of your thumb.

Pushing the tail of the LX with the middle part of your thumb's just inviting a lot of pain and pressure. You'll momentarily kick it on, but it won't click because the spring's too strong and long, and the recession of the rubber's too low in retrospect to the cupped sides.

Doing this with bare hands is bad enough. Doing it with gloves on while in the cold is even worse. Most of the time, I have to take my gloves off in order to turn it on if my gloves are thick. And even then, I have to use the tip of my fingers or thumb to fully depress it...

In short, if it can be shortened and its kickback lessened a bit, it would be a whole lot better. It doesn't take this much pressure to kick up an E2e or a Brinkmann 2AA/3AA switch...

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
I had both at the same time, and I kept the Scorpion, and returned the LX, if that tells you something. The quality and worksmanship on the scorpion IMO is ages ahead of the LX.

With fresh batteries in both, I liked the scorpion's beam better...maybe just my opinion, but a few of my friends agreed. I do like the price, and since it comes with two 123s, its kinda like paying double the price for batteries
smile.gif

I'm glad the LX is out there, makes for good competition, for me, the scorpion wins...

Zeppert

Enlightened
I own the Scorpion and my friend owns the B.LX. I like the smaller size of the Scorpion (not the big head of the B.LX. The switch seems perfect on my Scorp. I have a maglite rechargeable and I refer to my Scorp. as my mini mag. LX gives just "a touch tighter beam" and is cheaper to buy but,.. I wouldn't swap my scorpion (mini mag) for it - no way!

ramptapult

Newly Enlightened
I have both and prefer the Scorpion, mainly for the size and nicer beam. Both have a nice recessed switch to prevent accidental turn on. 123 lithiums are available almost everywhere, and its not like your not sittin' on a pile of 'em anyway
smile.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I happened to see the LX at WalMart today and was attracted to its unique look. I didn't buy one but may go back tomorrow and buy one for $18.99.

Does the "rubber band" on the light come off?

What holster will it fit in, if any?

Marty

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Marty Weiner:

Marty
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I had a 2AA Craftsman light holster the LX fit in fine. It was a bit long so I cut some of the length and sewed it up. My only complaint was the rubber handle kept it from sliding out easily. I removed the rubber, but then it was way too slick, so I put it back.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Marty Weiner:
Does the "rubber band" on the light come off?

Marty
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I swapped the "rubber band" from the head of a Brinkmann Rebel with the one on my LX. The rubber band on the Rebel has a built in "metal loop" that allows it to hang on a helt holder (that also comes with the Rebel).

Why Brinkmann put the better holder on the cheaper light is a mystery to me, but it was easy enough to swap them around...