Sunway(man) M40A Review

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since my last review as moving to college tends to mess up your schedule for a while ;) I've got winter break so I have time to write these a few last reviews.

What I've got here is a sunway(man) LED light. Sunway is a recently new player in the flashlight market, but they've come up with many products since they first came up and are quickly gaining popularity with us enthusiasts. They know what they're doing!

Here are the specs of this particular light:

• Cree MC-E Emitter
  • 4*1.5V AA(Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium) batteries
  • Three modes constant output: 500 Lumens (1 hrs)- 150 Lumens (5 hrs)-15 Lumens (60 hrs) Strobe mode:500 Lumens (1.5 hrs)
  • Magnetic control ring
  • Dimension:144mm (length) x 57 mm (head diameter) x 40 mm (body diameter)
  • Military Specification Type III hard anodized
  • Accessories: lanyard, O-ring

Apologies on the dust! seems that my room at home has become dustier since I've left.

IMG_1418_processed.JPG

IMG_1419_processed.JPG

IMG_1420_processed.JPG

IMG_1421_processed.JPG

IMG_1423_processed.JPG

IMG_1424_processed.JPG

IMG_1426_processed.JPG

IMG_1429_processed.JPG

Size Comparisons:

IMG_1430_processed.JPG

apologies on the spelling of rogue ;)

Comparison Beamshots:

Apologies, my collection has been drastically reduced and these are the only comparable lights I can take pictures of.

The donut only shows up when the light is very close to the wall. I believe it almost completely disappears at a distance.

IMG_1436_processed.JPG

IMG_1437_processed.JPG

IMG_1438_processed.JPG

IMG_1439_processed.JPG

White Wall Shots:

Shutter Speed is not specified -- the white wall shots are meant to show artifacts, rings, etc in the beam, not for brightness comparison.

IMG_1450_processed.JPG

IMG_1451_processed.JPG

Outdoor Beamshots:

Sunway(man) M40A 4xAA

IMG_1442_processed.JPG
IMG_1443_processed.JPG

IMG_1444_processed.JPG
IMG_1445_processed.JPG

Impressions:

Sunway instantly caught my eye when they first came out. When the sample finally arrived, I was not disappointed. They certainly have quite a bit of experience in making high quality products!

I couldn't find any anodizing faults on my sample, it's very easy to grip the M40A, knurling is well place on the rear of the battery tube as to not interfere with control ring function. Unfortunately, the control ring is placed right below some heat sink fins which, on first glance, were mistaken to be the control rings.

The control ring on the light is very smooth, and has indents on each mode. I found it very easy to get to any mode quickly, though I sometimes activated strobe mode when trying to go from zero to high.

Opening the battery compartment, you find large square threads on the head. I think these threads are one of the best I've ever experienced. There is a nice positive spring loaded contact on the head, and an aluminum negative contact. The battery holder is very high quality, and surprisingly enough, reversible! Sunway really thought this design through. As you can probably tell, I am very impressed with the quality of this light. I would highly recommend it to people looking for high output without switching to li-ion chemistry.

lr.gif