Does anyone understands how a Z41 really works?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all! this seems a better forum to place this, so...

I do not mean how one operates teh Z41, I mean under what principle it was designed...

I am troubleshooting a friend's G2 tailcap, and I cannot corner what is wrong with it....

(the problem is unreliable momentary operation)

So far I have observed.

It is a latter Lockout model (the longer kind with no allen screw)

The spring is lightly squashed but functional

There is too much wobble of the aluminum part/stub (the main big part). It moves more freely that other Z41s around the center Rivet that holds it.

Fore and aft travel seem to be the same EXCLUDING the added clearance the wobble induces

I have punched the center rivet to tighten it but it will not go any further

It seems that the area of the aluminum stub around the rivet head is worn.

Now, how can this affect operation?

I think that the Z41 works on balanced/calculated clearances. I mean that the operator pushes the main part inside the case and at the same time the batteries/springs push back. Whoever wins will get rewarded.

Now if we introduce a change in clearances we will have trouble.....

For example if you use a longer tailcap spring you might not make electrical contact because the battery/spring column has gotten longer and pushes the stub back beyond contact with the body.

So I am thinking my trouble is that the extra wobble bring the same effect... The operator pushes on the bootie ergo the plastic retainer but the action is not transferred to the stub, because there is room for it to be pushed back and loose contact with the body rim.

That is how far I got...Any help will be appreciated