Dorcy 1AAA review...

nightgaunt

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up the Dorcy 1AAA at Walmart today for $5.95. Was hoping to get the 1AA 3-LED, but oh well. First off, the construction is similar to a M@g product. The size is VERY big and bulky for a 1AAA light, and almost 1/2" taller than an ARC aaa. The head is almost 1" in diameter, and the reflector doesn't take up all the space in the head...not sure why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. They could have used a larger reflector to possibly increase output or throw.

The tailcap has an "intermittent" button made of hard plastic...ugh. To use the light for constant on, twist clockwise and reverse to turn off and use intermittent. The metal hanger tab seems like an afterthought, and is attached to the tailcap button...hmmm.

Overall, the light looks nice, but the hard tailcap button and huge size is a negative. The beam is full of "lumpy" rings, and no smooth transition to spill light.

Beam(sry, poor pic!):
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/364543/dorcy1aaa0002.JPG

Granted, its only $6, but the ARC aaa is superior in every respect. The beam pattern is pretty bad! Good for giving to your kid or a toolbox light. Just a FYI...
Thanks!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol aint bad for 6 bucks.id like to see that 3 led light to .hopefully they will get em

paulr

Flashaholic
Do the electronics fill the head or anything like that? Maybe the guts could be transplanted into a different light. They might make a nice mod for a Solitaire or one of those cheap 1aa keychain lights or something.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I took a couple of pictures, but after checking my servers I've run out of room to put them anywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

The electronics package (a PCB with components mounted to both sides of the board) go inside the head, but the PCB with a (+) battery spring sticks up (not counting the spring) about 1/4 of an inch from the bottom of the head as it's removed from the flashlight body.

A picture would show this better than words, but I don't have anywhere to put it until I {vulgar term for feces}can a website or two to make room. I can email the pictures directly to you if you want.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought when Craig reviewed them they had rubber tail cap things? Is that only on the larger ones? which ones?

nightgaunt

Newly Enlightened
As for the rubber tailcap, it was a hard plastic. The 8 LED model has rubber tailcap from what I've seen, but this one does not unfortunately...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
All four Dorcy LED flashlights have rubber or black plastic tailcap thingies. I just examined them more closely, and the 2-C 8-LED model has a rubber thing on its tailcap, and the other three have a hard black plastic "button" on their tailcaps.

carbonsparky

Enlightened
I just bought one tonight. Push button functions like the Stream Light Stylus, push for momentary on or screw it down tight for constant on. It would be nice if it was a clicky, but than I have seen enough clickies die. It should make a nice bargain carry light to replace my broken cliphanger light.

I also saw two new LED Garrity lights on the Walmart flashlight rack. Both are 3 AAA cell lights. One was a head lamp and the other was a torch both had a 12 something price on them (a bit steep?).

I was tempted by the torch but held off. Maybe someday I will catch it on the clearance rack.

franken2

Newly Enlightened
i love my new dorcy 1aaa light. picked up a grey and red model tonight.
also got the garrity 3aaa light. 5 modes but cheap looking plastic case and weird battery holder. 2 batts go negative against the spring while one goes positive to spring.
different for sure!
i wouldn't count on it for much except inside use.
waiting for the 1aa 3 led model to arrive at walmart!

carbonsparky

Enlightened
I got a chance to play with my Dorcy 1AAA last night. I had it on solid for about 20 min. Nice little light for $6. The only other lights you are going to find in this price range are the cheap China import key fob lights. At the price this thing sells for, I'm tempted to buy one in each color.

Size wise:
3/4" at the head
5/8" at the tailcap
9/16" along the battery tube

total length:
3-3/8"

The wall thickness is heavy enough that it should not ever get bent.

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I was going see if walmart had the new garrity led lights when I found this, I had kinda' stopped looking for the new dorcy lights. I have to agree it's cheap but pretty cool for six bucks. The lens is so-so but doesn't seem to have an impact on the beam. Also, the beam on mine seems to have a more smooth transition between rings than the photo in the first post. It's not beautiful by any means though.. I did have to file the tailcap spring a bit, it was sharp and actually digging into the battery.

I don't have an arc aaa yet *ducks and dodges*, but it's a lot better than the solicrap I bought years ago and was never practical/useful enough to carry.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
They must have had me in mind- cheap and small- the light that is. Anyway, for the price this is really a pretty nice light. Compared side by side it's a wee bit brighter and whiter than my standard ARC. It certainly won't take ARC's place in the pocket. The wide head and additional length makes it more like an Infinity in size. That wider head does give it maybe half again wider flood than ARC. The finish will probably wear off pretty easily and the rubber collars, which look good and give some grip, will eventually crack and fall off, but that is a bit nitpicky. I imagine the lens can scratch easily, too. These faults, though, for six bucks I can overlook. In fact, it was nice enough for me to run back to WallyWorld to grab another for my son. Now if I can only figure out some place where I don't already have a light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i havent seen one yet, but i think it might be a very nice light for a non-flashaholic.

inexpensive, small-ish, and decent brightness and runtime.

however, my wife has officially confiscated my spare arc aaa (after the blackout), and it happily resides on her keychain. she really likes it, and i am sure she would not give it up for the little dorcy.

Bob

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Dorcy 1AAA review... *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by raggie33

raggie33

*the raggedier*
just got one.as stated above its not a bad light at all for the price .its pretty bright.and im going back to get a few more.

has anyone seen the garity 5 function led light they had.i didnt get a good look i was in a big hurry ..and walmart was so crowded.it seems to have 5 levels of brightnes.anyone know where a review is?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
btw anyone know.what led this uses.and im sure it aint regulated is it

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Judging from the internal style of the leadframe assembly, it looks like they're using a Nichia NSPW500.
I don't know what color or brightness rank the LED is... probably color rank B and brightness rank R or S.

There appears to be a transistor and a diode(?) on one side of the board, and a ferrite core inductor, a resistor, and two caps on the other side. I don't know how the circuit works, so I don't know if it's regulated or not.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i cant even get mine apart looks as if the head unscrews but it dont ,well at least it dont with the force i feel safe useing