Cree XP-G R5 vs S2 - what's the difference?

sac02

Newly Enlightened
I'm cruising the 4sevens website looking at different lights...

I'm looking at various flights and see some have XP-G R5 and some have XP-G S2. 4sevens seems to market the S2 version as special in some way (and price them higher as such), but they don't say what is different/better about the S2 emitter, over the R5.

Comparing the S2 version of the same light to the R5 version, some have lower outputs, some have higher. Some have longer runtimes listed (at similar outputs) some have shorter. What gives?

What's the deal?

Thanks.

sac02

Newly Enlightened
I'm cruising the 4sevens website looking at different lights...

I'm looking at various flights and see some have XP-G R5 and some have XP-G S2. 4sevens seems to market the S2 version as special in some way (and price them higher as such), but they don't say what is different/better about the S2 emitter, over the R5.

Comparing the S2 version of the same light to the R5 version, some have lower outputs, some have higher. Some have longer runtimes listed (at similar outputs) some have shorter. What gives?

What's the deal?

Thanks.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S2 output is slightly more than the R5, but not much. Something like 7%, IIRC.
However, the big thing is that the tint of the S2 is commonly seen with green/yellow ugly tints, and it is quite prevalent in the S2.
The "tint lottery" has much better luck with the R5.

markr6

Flashaholic
For me the S2 was insanely green. I literally laughed out loud when I first turned my light on it was so bad. Didn't even need to compare with other lights. Shipped right back to supplier. Won't try it again.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S2 output is slightly more than the R5, but not much. Something like 7%, IIRC.
However, the big thing is that the tint of the S2 is commonly seen with green/yellow ugly tints, and it is quite prevalent in the S2.
The "tint lottery" has much better luck with the R5.

For me the S2 was insanely green. I literally laughed out loud when I first turned my light on it was so bad. Didn't even need to compare with other lights. Shipped right back to supplier. Won't try it again.

This really sounds surprising. The latest version of Fenix TK15 uses the S2 emitter. My example has a very white and anything else than greenish tint. Several other owner of this light tells the same. Therefore I thought that S2 is better than R5.