Different Color Beams

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarshalMoroni

Newly Enlightened
Here's a Newbie question for you. I have acquired several LS Seconds (most for gifts keeping the Farkle King LSH-P for myself), now thinking I might need a AAA. (Please don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm still sane, sort of). Anyway I noticed on the Arc site, and in other posts mentions of turquoise beams and red beams. Now I understand that a red beam won't mess with a persons night vision, but what is a turquoise bean for? Are there other colors I should be thinking about? I'm kind of leaning towards a red beam, something for subtle, since I have bright white.

But...... looking for ideas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As always, I appreciate everyones input.

Regards,

Marshal Moroni

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
apparently turquoise appears brightest to the human eye /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the best of my knowledge, Arc only makes a white light. In the olden days there were many beam colors to be had from Arc but alas, no more.
Yes, the red is good for preserving night sight and the green and turquoise are preceived as very bright.
The drawbacks are you can't see some other colors when using colored beams.

Edit. I just went to Arc and saw they have some turquoise on close out.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
they once had:

white
green
turquoise
IR
UV
yellow
orange
red
blue

if you search a bit you may still find the turquoise, red, UV and IR, the others are harder to get, especially the yellow one seems to pretty rare. when you see them together it is really cool and unusual. I like mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernhard

outlaw918692000

Newly Enlightened
uv like a black light used primarily for checking for counterfit bills , body fluids , ect. : if can only be seen with night vision and is used for covert ops.

gyverpete

Enlightened
This is how I understand the alternate light sources.

I think it's actually the IR (infrared), not UV, that needs night vision goggles. Otherwise, it is invisible to the naked eye. It's also used in your TV remote control.

The UV will make certain objects fluoresce, to the naked eye, such as UV ink, glow-in-the-dark stuff; paper, fabric, and other objects with brighteners; scorpions, security strips in money, watermarks, etc. When used in conjuction with Luminol(a chemical), blood and other bodily fluids will fluoresce also. Special glasses improve sensitivity. UV, in its higher* wavelength range also kills viruses and other nasties and is used to sterilize/purify water.

UV light can cause vision damage if looked at directly.*

*-EDITED

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually it's the "higher" range of UV (UV-C) that is used to sterilize and any UV wavelength is dangerous to the eyes.

The spectrum is as follows

IR, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, UV-A, UV-B, UV-C
Lower wavelength <----------------------> Higher wavelength

UV is at the "high" end of the spectrum (above violet), IR at the "low" end (below red).

Night vision equipment can see IR. Human night vision is preserved by using red light.

Human eyes are most sensitive to the green/turquoise range of light (without getting into details about scotopic and photopic vision...).

Status
Not open for further replies.