So grammar is more important than spelling?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acocdrnig to an elgnsih unviesitry sutdy the oredr of letetrs in a wrod dosen't mttaer, the olny thnig thta's iopmrantt is that the frsit and lsat ltteer of eevry word is in the crcreot ptoision. The rset can be jmbueld and one is stlil able to raed the txet wiohtut dclftfuiiy.

The interesting thing is that the words by themself are difficult to decipher, but as a sentence it's not hard to read.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smae hree /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now roth wlil seruly be hpapy taht his *rothesian* lagnguae can be put to godo use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Interesting find, tree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
rofl i am cured if every types like that . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
That really is one of the most amazing things I've seen in a while. Crazy how easy it is to read when NONE of the words make sense. I'm not sure how this will improve my writing, of course....

Just tried to email that sentence to a friend, and my spell checker required CPR.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Damn,

You still have to get the first and last letter right though.......

- Dawn

iddibhai

Enlightened
that's the same principle CDs and data on optical drives works; if words are in order, then if any bit goes missing, outta luck. if the word's letters are randomized, it can still guess a take a good shot at recovery.

highlandsun

Enlightened
Sounds to me like this rule only applies for short or mono-syllabic words... What's the longest single-syllable word you can think of, and would it still make sense scrambled in this way? How about two syllables?

Actually CIRC encoding used on CDs interleaves bits from adjoining words; the idea is to distribute bit errors among multiple words so that in event of an error, many words are minimally damaged as opposed to a single word being heavily damaged. Minimal damage to individual words can be corrected with the ECC, whereas if many bits of a single word are corrupted, you can't recover the word at all.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tihs is the msot rdeiucuols tinhg I eevr raed. Seek piafroossnel hlep. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Now honestly, the brain has a remarkable ability to fill in the gaps (in this case, the mispositioned letters) with known structure. Thanks for the thread! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dan

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:

- Dawn

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Funny thing about that... when my husband and I first met, we were in language school in the Army. We lived in the barracks. My roommates name was Dawn... His roommates name was Don. I always pronounced them correctly... I never knew who the hell he was talking about!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, That is neat! Thanks for sharing.

I wonder... Is this the same sort of functioning that I have with reading some foreign languages; I don't speak or understand verbally anything but Americanese and a little English... But I can kind of READ Spanish, Portugese, French and German; Not well, or even literately, by any means, but enough that I can usually get the general idea.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, great responses. I'm glad you all like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Er... I mean,

WOW, geart rpsoeness. I'm gald you all lkie it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
highlandsun said:
Sounds to me like this rule only applies for short or mono-syllabic words...

[/ QUOTE ]

1. There are several longish, multisyllabic words used in many of these posts, and it works just fine.
2. I get confused with multisyllabic words even when they're spelled correctly, so what's the difference? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Dlreal

Empath

Flashaholic
Pteer Pepir pkiced a pcek of pckield ppperes;
A pcek of pckield ppperes, Pteer Pepir pkiced.
If Pteer Pepir pkiced a pcek of pckield ppperes;
Tehn wrehe's the pcek of pckield ppperes
Pteer Pepir pkiced?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally when I read to myself I can clearly hear what I am reading in my mind. When I read this kind of stuff it sounds like my mind has a mouthfull of marbles while trying to speak. I can still understand what's being said, but it is a bit garbled.

I hope this doesn't catch on like leet speak. It's hard enough to understand some other forums.