A siren.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Local EMA just installed this beast..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif 500 feet from my house!!!!!

fb1e3a63.jpg

fb1e3a92.jpg

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
That situation doesn't sound good at all. My deepest sympathies. And I thought I had problems with trucks on a nearby street.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not active yet, but from what I hear, it will play chimes at 9 or 10pm, and go off for weather warnings and "EMA" emergency(haz-mat,etc...). Will see.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
mmm skewered UFO kabobs. mmmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i used to have train tracks in backyard.i still have em close by not as close though.but them guys sure liked blowing that horn

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impressive, you'll have to post a wav file once it starts going off! Whats going to suck is the regular testing. The siren around here do a test like every tuesday afternoon.

I'm not that close, but jeeze... Seems that if they are really going to do a chime that is something you could petition to get turned off. It's not like running the thing every darn day does anything to increase public saftey...

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FC. said:
Here is the link to the sounds it makes: HERE

[/ QUOTE ]

When you play all those sound files at the same time it makes quite the irritating noise.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think i hate this train worse.due to the fact it comes like every 1 hour maybe even more! and the conducter just wails on the horn or whisltle what ever ya call it.when im on the phone the caller can even here it.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the "disturbing the peace" law come into play here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Man that really sucks.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tomas

Banned
When I was growing up ('50's) we were in the "Cold War" and not only did we have regular practices in school with the bells going of in a horrid series of short rings (1 second on, one second off for one minute!) so we could dive under our desks to hide from the atomic bombs (uh-huh), we had city-wide "Air Raid Sirens."

The closest to my home was about 200 feet away, and was easily visible from windows on that side of the house. It was a huge, massive "thing" at the top of two "telephone poles" at the end of the alley.

tower.jpg

Every week, for over a decade, those things went off at 2PM Wednesday for one minute. To the absolute best of my knowledge they were never actually USED for anything other than checking one's watch every Wednesday ...

Good luck with your new sirens, FC. You'll need it.

Take care,
T_sig6.gif

2dogs

Enlightened
FC thanks for the cool link. My dad's station house had an air raid siren in the back yard. The newspaper and the local radio station would announce when there was going to be a test but some people would still panic.

Our school practised duck and cover drills every week for years. Nobody wanted to sit near the windows. Even though one kid had to draw the (big and heavy) curtain we were afraid the A-bomb would break the window and we would get cut. I have since learned that window glass isn't the main concern during a nuclear attack. We all hated those sneaky Russians. I still do, I think.

Now the schools practise e-quake drills and "blue and gold" drills. The latter are for a shooter or other bad guy on campus. I was at school when one of those went down last year. Cause for concern.