Pic Heavy Review: Mac's Tri EDC 1st Run

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my first ever flashlight review, so please go easy on me! (Admins - please consider this for submission in the Reviews forum)

I've recently become the very proud owner of one of Mac's Tri-EDC's. This particular example is Cerakoted in a very bold orange, with a Ti clip.

I'm not sure which bin the 4500K XP-G emitters are.

For this absolute powerhouse of a light, Mac has shipped in the L332MC Light Engine from Lux-RC Labs. This light engine comes fully prepared with 3 XP-G emitters, for 1100 Lumens when driven by 2 Li-Ion cells, and roughly 600-700 Lumens on a single Li-Ion cell. As noted in the sales thread, the board does produce a very slight inductor whine in medium (ECO) mode. I can only hear it with the light against my ear, in a quiet room. It's either inaudible or non-existent in High and Low.

The newest development for a Mac's Customs EDC is the ability to run this light from an Ultrafire 18350 Cell. All of Mac's SST-50 EDC's require an IMR16340, giving you approx 550mAh capacity. The 18350 can match the current delivery abilities of the smaller IMR cell, but with a capacity (on the label, at least) of 1200mAh.

Runtime Comparison: 18350 vs 16340

Both cells were charged to 4.17V, and the tests were done in 5 minute bursts, held tightly in hand for thermal conductivity (the light got uncomfortably hot to hold after 3 mins in one hand, a further 2 mins in the other) and left to cool for 15 minutes between bursts.

The Tri-EDC will automatically flash, and drop to Medium mode when the battery gets to 2.8V

IMR16340: 10 Minutes 40 Seconds to 2.8V

Projected Medium (20% output) Runtime: 53 Minutes

Projected Low (2% output) Runtime: 8 Hours 52 Minutes

Ultrafire 18350: 19 Minutes 20 Seconds to 2.8V and auto drop to Medium mode.

Projected Medium (20% output) Runtime: 97 Minutes

Projected Low (2% output) Runtime: 16 Hours, 6 Minutes

Realistically, the lower mode runtimes should be longer, as the cell won't be getting heated as much, or being discharged at such a high rate, and as we all know, the slower you discharge a cell, the more you get out of it.

Assuming the AW 16340 gave a good solid 500mAh, that would put the 18350 at ~900mAh. Quite a realistic figure, really.

Now the reason you're all here: Eye Candy!

First, the Light, the whole Light, and nothing but the Light:

IMGP1048.JPG

Head:

IMGP1051.JPG

Tail:

IMGP1052.JPG

Disassembled:

IMGP1053.JPG

IMGP1054.JPG

IMGP1055.JPG

As you can see the 18350 is a perfect fit here!

IMGP1056.JPG

Just to give you a comparison, here's an 18350 and a 16340:

IMGP1057.JPG

IMGP1058.JPG

As you can see, there's plenty of room for rattling with the IMR16340

IMGP1059.JPG

Outdoor comparison Beamshots:

All of the following pictures were taken at the same settings. Brightness is relative, but not necessarily indicative of what you will see in the real world. I'm just not that good a photographer! The distance to the back of the cubby house in about 10 meters.

Mac's Tri-EDC High:

IMGP1061.JPG

Mac's Tri-EDC Medium:

IMGP1064.JPG

Mac's Tri-EDC Low:

IMGP1065.JPG

Ma_Sha1 Built 5.5A Regulated SST-50 Mag (measured 1000OTF Lumens):

IMGP1062.JPG

Elektrolumens Wall-of-Fire 4xSSC P7 Mag:

IMGP1063.JPG

Mag ROP/LE High:

Mag%20ROP-LE%20High%20MOP.JPG

Jetbeam Jet-III M Q5:

Jetbeam%20Jet%20III-M%20SMO.JPG

Elektrolumens MC-E III (3xMC-E Mag)

MCEIII-2.JPG

Raidfire Spear w/ SST-50:

Spear%20SST-50-2.JPG

All in all, I think the Tri-EDC is a wonderful little light, that punches far above its weight for output, quality and adorableness. I can't imagine a better EDC light.

D2000

Enlightened
There is no reason for quoting the OP in its entirety to add a one line post - Norm

Can you post some extra-close ups of the optics and lens? Looks like theres 3 mini asperical lenses

Last edited by a moderator:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for doing this review. I have the Damascus version with XP-G2 installed and I have been EDCing it daily since I received it a few months back. Great little light with unbelievable output. Just got to love the ultra floody beam for close up work.