which uv light to buy?

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
i've been considering buying a uv light.
i was looking at the arc aaa uv, and the inova uv.
are those lights powerful enough to be used during the day, to check bills look for mice and whatever else you can use the uv light for?
if not are there other more powerful lights?
any sugestions or coments would be greatly appreciated.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the Photon UV's also. They have several models. Check the specs on the repective MFG's sites. I know the ARC and Photon UV's are running around 12 MW output. You want to check each brand's specs for the wavelength too, as they seem to be outputting in slightly different wavelengths from brand to brand. Both the above listed brands are touted to be usable for what you described. Now I'll have to look at the Innova UV for comparison. I'm sure there are reviews on these. I've been looking at UVs too. What are the best prices you have found so far?

A-6

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I haven't had any problems with using near-UV LED lights during the day at normal room illumination. I've used them to check bills and check for "vaseline" (uranium) glass objects at the flea market, but I haven't tried looking for "mouse evidence" (pee, poop, and hair) with them.

If you need a more powerful light, you can check the Vector 7 and the UView lights.
Both are rechargeable near-UV LED lights. The Vector 7 has 7 LEDs focused by individual lenses to produce a spotlight effect, while the UView has 12 LEDs and is not focused in any manner, so it produces a wider beam. And since both are rechargeable, you won't have to always buy batteries for them.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of years ago, my friend Jim was cleaning out his house and gave me this knife

http://www.inretech.com/pictures/knife1.jpg

I didn't think much of it, until I started reading about "Vaseline Glass", so I decided to test the knife using our 3Dx20LED 395nm Adapter - and much to my surprise, the knife glowed BRIGHT GREEN; just like the Vaseline Marbles that I purchased from Ebay (and give out with our adapters)

It seems that they made a LOT of stuff in this glass

I take it to the Gun/Knife shows - and get a lot of "strange looks" when I take it to the guys sharpening knives!

Yes, it does cut !

hideo

Enlightened
there's also the Inova X5 UV which should have quite a bit more output compared to the ARC ...

I also find the Arc to be more than adequate for checking bills and phophorescent materials on watch dials, but if yuou need more output, you might also look at some of the UV fluorescents used by mineralogist and prospectors.

hideo

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
countycomm.com has one for $5.00. So I ordered it for grins to look at some currency and stuff. If it just sort of works, then I'll up the ante'

A-6

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atomic6

I've got the County Comm UV LED light it is worth the price, but I have a feeling you get much more with the ARC UV.

GregR

P.S. I use mine for Fluorescent and Radioactive mineral ID

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a question for you guys:
I'm going to build my own UV light when I get the chance. Should I use 5mm or 3mm LED's?

I can pack a lot more 3mm into the same space. This will give me more output since they use the same die right?

What would the beam pattern difference be between using a bunch of 3mm vs 5mm?
I want some throw to it, but still have a broad beam for lighting up close-med range areas.