LED Flashlight with the longest throw?

catch228

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. This is my first post here and I must say that I have learned a great deal from the individuals on this forum. Based on reviews and opinions here I recently purchased a SureFire L4 and an Inova X5T. I am very happy with both, except maybe for the green tint from the L4.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend wasn't as amused by my new lights as I was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Are there any other LED lights which will project much farther than the L4? I really like the even white light that a LED provides and didn't want to get an incandescent light for that reason.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have read the the space needle is incredible.
look around here for a while, and you are going to be shocked at how well a good luxeon will throw.

one of my best luxeons (for throw) is my streamlight TL-2 LED.

it is impressive. perhaps a hair less than my tec-40, and way smaller. VERY nice beam as well.

the modmen have done great things with both optics and reflectors. it makes me wonder if the "big boys" in flashlight manufacturing arent lurking around CPF.

Bob

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Space Needle II. Everything else is silly by comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

The MR-X is just as bright, or brighter than the SNII, plus it will stay at full brightness MUCH longer than the SNII.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything with the 30mm optic in it will also throw quite well. Wayne (Elektrolumens) has flashlights using the optic for sale on his website.

I've got a modified KL3 using the optic that out throws my Surefire E2e. And it gets twice the runtime in regulation. Downside is there's very little sidespill. It's strictly a "reach out and touch someone" light. For me, it has very limited utility but it blows a lot of people away when I tell them it's a single LED.

catch228

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CM: the 30mm optic sounds very cool. I will be checking out Elektrolumens for those.

PeterW

Enlightened
Yep, SNII. The darn thing can light up trees 100yds off. Took it into a local park to light up the deer! Rather than little reflective eyes, you get to see the whole deer and what colour it is. This thing is like a car headlight. The only trouble is it is not too much use less than 10->20yds off as the beam is so narrow..... a good excuse to get something like an L4 or other high powered light with a better flood beam!!

Good luck trying to convince the girlfriend of your need for more and better!

PEterW
London, UK

Bucket

Newly Enlightened
I am extremely happy with Elektrolumens Blaster V. I'm a cop and use it as my primary light with a Surefire 8NX on my belt for backup. The Blaster V is heavy, but provides great battery life and serves me well. I highly recommend it to anyone with it's excellent throw and nice white color. Most of my coworkers still use Streamlight's SL20X that they were issued. The Blaster has better throw, whiter and wider beam and much longer run time.

Likebright

Enlightened
Catch228
Keep your eye on the Mod portion of CPF, Mr. Bulk the mod-er of the Space Needle II (SNII) mentioned above is working on some new projects. The Space Needle II ( a modified Mag 2c cell with 9w -3=123 cells and a 5 w LED) has the best throw of anything I've seen and he is working on smething -- bound to be great--

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do check out the MR-X thread (Hotlips with Magic Resistor). According to side by side tests, they are equal in brightness, but the MR-X is regulated to keep it, while the SNII will decline much more quickly.

Drjones

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
I've got a modified KL3 using the optic that out throws my Surefire E2e. And it gets twice the runtime in regulation. Downside is there's very little sidespill. It's strictly a "reach out and touch someone" light. For me, it has very limited utility but it blows a lot of people away when I tell them it's a single LED.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious: Did you do the mod yourself? Could you post pics? Tell us about it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

catch228

Newly Enlightened
I too would be interested in what type of mod you had to do to the KL3 to work with the optic. I like the size of the SF lights. That would be some combination L4 and a KL3 with the mod for distance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif