Fraen Low Profile Optic

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got in a couple of the low profile fraen optics from Wayne. I just thought that some of you might be interested in a beam shot.

On the left is a KL1 modded with an R2K overdriven to 700mA with NX05 optic, on the right is a KL1 modded with an R2H overdriven to 700mA with Fraen low profile optic. Both are being run from E2e bodies with Pila 168S's. Just a note, but when both are equipped with the NX05's, the R2K is brighter than the R2H.

fb1dbb86.jpg

As you can see, the Fraen LP has almost no side spill, but has throw like you wouldn't believe. It lit up the top of a tree in my front yard the way that a KL4 will light up something at 20 feet.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a couple? Want to sell some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ? I'm first in line.

CM

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened
Chop - can you post a pic with nx-05 next to the LP Fraen? I like to see a size comprasion between the two. Nice beamshots, BTW.

p.s. if you can spare some, I like one too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif Chop,

Congrads on the sucess! I'm just starting to play with one that I cut down to .625" dia for the CR2 project. So far, no joy, but I'm working on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif .

Larry

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys, you know that feeling that you got when the R2H's dried up? Like you should have gotten more? Well, when I said that I had a couple, I meant that literally. Both of them are now happily residing in my KL1's.

Kirk,
As far as the pics go, like I've said, I've already installed them and got them centered. If you want to know what they look like, just look at an NX05 and there you go. I couldn't tell them apart on my bench. The fraens are a hair smaller in diameter but they worked well with the gasket in the KL1. The fraen is also, not flat like the NX05. I could swear that it was convex or concave, well it was kind of like a bowl. Hey, I'm a laywer and not used to having to think.

The funny thing is that I put a full size fraen in the M@g I just modded tonight and the beam isn't as nice. I mean it's focused really well with a broad, bright hot spot but it had these outer rings that are just wasted light. It couldn't even be considered side spill. Maybe it was because of the holder that they come with.

I think that we need to petition Wayne to try to get more.

CM,
You know that problem you were having with the 30mm being too big for your KL3, well...I think this could be your solution to a 700mA+ long throwing KL3.

I still can't believe I only got two. I actually have four on my order, but reduced it to two because I was afraid of being disappointed. I guess I've got the lottery syndrome.

jtice

Flashaholic
WOW, those look GREAT.
I messed out on those when Wayne had them.

Anyone have any they want to sell?... or , know a place I can get some?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, these optics should be out for sale sometime in the future. Guess we'll just have to wait. If they're as good as they look in the pictures, they may start displacing the NX05's in some lights. I'll probably replace all my NX05's with these. Until then, they're still unobtanium.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
They dont work too well on my 1 watt McLux, it really shows up the dodgy centering on the Luxeon (well it was my first "mod" of any kind). It works ok on my 5 watter, but it still has the null in the center. I think an NX05 with o-ring spacer works better in the McLux.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
kakster,
Did you use the low profile fraen or the standard. My low profile fraens work exceptionally well. I don't know. There may be something about the McLux head.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 4 of the low profile fraens, im using those. I think the problem is that the fraens are *just* smaller in diameter than the NX05, and they sit too low in the McLux bezel.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
kakster,
I don't think there's any height difference between the LP fraens and the NX05's. If you're having trouble with the fraens, I'd be glad to take them off of your hands for you. Really. Otherwise, I say, go get yourself a KL1 if you don't have one. They work great in the KL1's.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, (MY) fraen LP's are smaller in diameter and shorter in height than the NX05.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess they are shorter then. I didn't notice it. I just took out the NX05's and dropped in the fraens. I've got them all centered and sealed up, but this is killing me now. I think I'm gonna open one back up and see. It's just a pain getting rid of all of the lint and dust.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am playing around with the LP on my MM sandwich in mini mag. The tab is very prominent and the optic is not centering over the luxeon, and hot spot is off center. Not such a problem with MX05 from sandwich shop. LP needs to be filed down so it will center better in head of light, so I can not really evaluate light quality.

Bill

hideo

Enlightened
I just swapped out the McFlood in my Q2 hot-rodded Aitec Collimator Aitec link with one of the Fraens and it's pretty amazing--hotspot is brighter AND twice as big as the NX05 ...

and yes, as someone noted, spill light is a thing of the past

I also swapped it in and out of some of my other NX-05 lights and it definitely seems to show more dramatic improvements with high domes than lows

wish I had bought more than a pair as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

hideo

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHead,
Don't go blowing the farm yet. I think CM is right. I think that these will be hitting the market. I'd have a hard time believing that someone out there made a mold for these things with no intention of releasing them. Those that we have seen may just have been a feeler.

I'm hoping anyway.