Marine Corps Band and Silent Drill performance

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I went to a performance of the Marine Corps Band, The Presidents Own and the Marine Corps Silent Drill Team tonight for a 9-11 tribute and remembrance. I have seen the performance several times and it still sends chills up my spine. I you ever get a chance to see them perform don't miss it. It's free but I would be happy to pay, they are amazing. Those of you that have seen it know what I mean. Even if you don't have a patriotic bone in your body you will still enjoy the show. The precision, spit and polish alone is enough to make it worth a trip. I hope to post some photos tomorrow but they don't do it anything close to justice.

It was extra special for me. The Master of Ceremonies was one of my old C.O.'s who's now a full Col. When he was XO of the squadron the CO who was a fun loving fellow would make us play golf once a week. The CO, XO, Ops-O and me would head to the course about 1500 and run through 18 holes of golf before dark. We might have a drink or two or six during the round and often ended up at the O-Club to keep the party going. Man oh man those were the days, shore duty at it's best in the training command

The Keynote speaker was General Nyland, Asst. Commandant of the Marine Corps. I had the honor of tipping back a few beers with him on several occasions back when he was a Col. in my Wing and he was truly one of the "Bubbas" Probably part of the reason he made it to 4 stars, he's one of the good guys. Seeing him as a 4 star General made me proud.

His office was 150' away from where the aircraft struck the Pentagon. He was down the passageway at the time. His office burned but no one on his staff was killed. In his speech he paid tribute to all that died, their families and the responders. He told us that some of the firefighters were pulling off their jackets and writing their name and SSN on their t-shirts before going in. They did this so that their bodies could be more easily identified in case they were killed. He was amazed at the selfless bravery of all the responders, fire, police, paramedics, military and civilians.

Just before the ceremony started and the Col. was standing at the podium looking nervously over 8,000+ people I couldn't stop myself from breaking the dead silence by hollering out "Cuuubbbbbyyyyy" (Cubby) Cubby is his call sign. His former call sign was "Bear" until one day about 10-12 years back. He was giving a brief to a group of Gen.'s at the Pentagon when one of them asked, "What's your call sign" to which he replied, "Bear". The General laughed at the 5'6" Major and said, "Bear huh, you look more like a cub". Well it stuck and from that day forward his call sign has been Cubby. It worked; he looked down, shook his head then looked at me 30 rows up with a big grin on his face. He then started off the ceremony by introducing himself as Col. Dave "Cubby" Bar...(ending left off for privacy but now you can see why he had the call sign "Bear") with the emphasis on Cubby and a smile in my direction. The audience applauded and so began the show. What a night.

I will always remember 9-11, where I was and how I felt. I will never know the loss so many families felt and continue to endure but our thoughts and prayers are with you.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats sure would of been nice to see.if ya have pics please post them if you can.

ewick

Enlightened
Dave,

It's awesome you got to see them for such an occasion. You're right. Those guys are the MASTERS of Close Order Drill. No one else comes close. I've seen them twice, both times in D.C at the Iwo Jima Memorial. Hard to believe; it's so perfect it almost looks fake. Definitely a must-see, as pictures really can't do them justice.

E

EchoSierraTwo

Yes. They are the best. I have a couple of friends still serving that are in the team.

"it's so perfect it almost looks fake."

I told my wife the same thing when she use to come visit me. That's funny.

DeiselDave, you speak as if you have served?

Semper Fi...OOORAH!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thank you that was just amazeing.they must train hours per day or more.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Dave,
I haven't seen the Silent drill in YEARS, and have told lots of folks about them - is there a place we can get the schedule of where they are performing? I'd really like to take my wife and kids to see them

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
ewick:

Thanks for the link. I just emailed it to a friend who is quite the fan of civilian "Drum and Beagle Corps." I suspect she will be impressed.

Stainless

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
These guys ARE awesome. I was in a Marine Corps sponsored high school Junior ROTC drill team a few decades ago and I can tell you the M1 Garand rifles they use are quite a handful to spin, twirl, and toss around. There are none better than these guys.