Comments on my new S2 version Quark Mini 123

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I recently ordered a Quark Mini 123. It came yesterday, and my wife quickly confiscated it and gave it to me today as a Christmas present.

After doing a little research on the forums I decided to order the R5 version because of the reports of the green tint on the S2'. I found the R5' still listed on Amazon from Candle Power for $39 with free shipping, and thought this seemed like a pretty good deal. Well when I opened the light this morning and started looking through the owner's manual I noticed that the specs were off from those listed for the R5, and upon further inspection I found that I had been sent an S2 version. I was a little disappointed at first, but after trying it out I think I'm happy with this mistake.

My primary concern (and the reason I ordered the R5) were the reports that the S2 would have a green tint, and on low mode it does seem to have a greenish tint. This is less so on medium, and it goes completely away on high. In fact when comparing it to my Quark Mini CR2, I kinda like the color. It reminds me more of an incandescent light color, and in actual use you really dont notice the green. You notice it more when comparing it side by side with another whiter light. In fact, after playing with it for a while, I think I may even like the color better because it seems more natural, and the objects you are viewing look more natural in the light. With the more blue tints, everything looks so cold IMO, this S2 is definitely warmer in color.

Just thought I'd post this for those who may be considering an S2 version, but who are hesitant because of the color. It's really a pretty nice light, and if they are all like this, I wouldn't hesitate picking up another S2. I'll especially like it if the numbers hold true @ 150hrs at 8 lumens (which by the way is a very usable level), 6.5 hrs @45 lumens, and 2 hrs at 135 lumens (which actually appears to my eyes to be brighter than my 180 lumen P1D and CR2). The CR123 also has a better hotspot and more throw than the CR2 version. I think it's a better than average light. I like both the Quark Mini' enought that I'm thinking about picking up a Mini AA.

Merry Christmas