Hurricane Isabel

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Huricane Isabel is a cat 5 hurricane aimed at the East Coast!
Here's a map of the 5 day forcast.

Time to stock up on batteries and prepare your bug-out kits!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
La-la-la-la-la-la. Fingers in ears, head in sand. I don't even like talking about hurricanes but you're right.

That is a big girl. She needs to go ahead and swing north soon. Cat-5, that's ugly.

Fingers back in ears, head back in sand, so long.

hula

Newly Enlightened
I do appreciate these things are killers and cause countless damage. Maybe i'm sadistic but I'd love to see a storm of such ferocity or better still a f5 tornado. I'm fed up with stable weather.
Link worked for me.

Hula.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy, the link works for me. I've been already watching that though as this is my first hurricane season living on that southern coast. So I'm very interested in it.

There is still pleanty of time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm OK on batteries, but should pick up some other bug-out essentials...

I suppose I shouldn't jinx it by talking further, whats my insurance companies telephone number? ....

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Link works for me

I've been watching the girl all week. My house is 50 yards from the bay. My house was wounded twice in 95 with Erin and Opal. I had minor damage 2 years ago with ??? storm. The nice thing about a Cat-5 is I don't have to worry about the extent of the damage. After I bug out I can just go to the library and look at house plans for my newly vacant lot.

guncollector

Enlightened
How accurately can they forcast the projected path these days? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I ask because I'm going to be in the Miami/Boca area all next week! Yikes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I've been watching Isabel for a while - NASTY storm - current track looks to be NC/SC border, unless it swings north. If it heads for the NYC area, I will be activated for shelter ops

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andrew was recently reclassified as a Category 5 hurricane. Thank Dr. Fujita's work for that. Remember that the Hurricane Center was predicting that Andrew would turn north, and it did not.

Best advice for everyone on east coast: make reasonable preparation NOW, like prepping your Evacuation kits and stuff. Keep an eye or two on the weather channel, or an ear on NOAA radio. If evacuation is called for, do so. Do NOT have a hurricane party!! Buy your extra water and batteries now to avoid the panic buying (and price gouging).

Here's a novel idea: If you have reasonable knowledge that your dwelling is going to be damaged and/or power is going to be off for a while (likely), and, you are evacuating, take what food you can with you. If you are going to a shelter, even your canned food, will lessen the strain on the shelter's resources. Even taking your own sleeping bags and stuff can help there as well.

Any other ideas?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif Whaddya mean turn NORTH? I live NORTH! Why are you trying to aim this disaster at me?!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, no messing with a category 5 storm. That is not a shelter in place kind of operation. If you don't get out before it hits you then you won't be able to get out, portentially for weeks if the roads leading to your area are low lying or if there is any bridge between you and the mainland. Cause it wont still be there!

storm track as of this morning shows that it is turning north a bit. I'm no longer in the 5 day estimate circle, but it's still pretty close...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
latest from wunderground.com shows that they may have downgraded it back to a cat-4 hurricane. Which is good, lets hope it continues to loose energy. Don't want my insurance company to go bankrupt...

Unfortunately they have also started to swing the 5 day forcast zone back south a little bit again.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charles -

I believe hurricanes are a classified using the Saffir-Simpson scale NewsFlash refers to, 1 thru 5.

"Herbert Saffir, a consulting engineer who specialized in wind damage to buildings, and Robert Simpson, who was then director of the National Hurricane Center, invented the scale in the early 1970s."

Fugita's research was with tornado wind speed and damage hence, F1 thru F5.

- Jeff

NewsFlash

Enlightened
Icebreak,

True, but Dr. Fujita flew over the area where Andrew hit and noticed damage caused by what he called "mini-swirls". Tornadoes! He believes tornadoes were embedded in hurricane Andrew, that's the last I know about it, saw a special on PBS about it.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah ha. I see. Interesting stuff. This explains Charles' information. I should have known he had his facts straight.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the reading I've been doing, if it stays a Cat 5 it will be more likely to turn north, but if it weakens it is likely to stay a more southernly track. This is due to the weather conditions in the area currently evidently. I like how the computer projection maps have in big type "Computer models may contain siginificant error" or some such in each one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif