SF L1 vs ARC LS4

Ardy

Newly Enlightened
I know that the new Arc LS4 is not out there yet, but can anyone tell me which would be a better brighter light?
I know both require 1 lithium and are both 1 watt Lexion star. The price for the LS4 would be around $180 vs around $100 for the SF L1, but on the other hand LS4 is much much smaller and waterproof to 100 feet, but Which is brighter
any other info's ???
Thanks,
Ardy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Although I've never had an L1, the LS4 will have a momemtary boost mode, which I'd expect to be brighter than the L1. From what I've read, the LS4 will be hands-down the best EDC/small light going.

Drjones

Enlightened
What exactly do you want?

I'd probably get a SF L4.

If you really, really need the smaller size, put the L4 head on an E1e body. (TW4 as it is called)

Ardy

Newly Enlightened
Drjones,
I tought about your suggestion, but the run time on TW4 is a bout 30-50 minutes, not really impressive.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
I never wanted an L1;the L4 doesn't attract me that much;But I would really want an LS4 as a gift!

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ardy said:
Drjones,
I tought about your suggestion, but the run time on TW4 is a bout 30-50 minutes, not really impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the quality of your batteries, and how "hot" the individual KL4 head is, you might find it running 90 minutes or beyond. I am getting well over an hour on mine in its bright mode, before it drops off into the dimmer mode. The quality of light itself is beautful!

David <><

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both a ARC LSL-P and an SF E1e/KL1 head.

The E1e/KL1 puts out a more even beam whereas the LSL-P has a more pronounced hotspot.

Which is better? Each for different reasons. The LSL-P has a bluish tint to the hotspot, it is much smaller, and has the klickie on/off.

The E1e/KL1 head has a more even beam (no hotspot), the color is warmer, however the light is a bit longer.

I don't think it's fair to compare a one watt LS4 to a five watt KL4. Also the inconsistancy between LED's could make your results opposite of mine.

Greg

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 uses the NX05 optic, while the LS4 will use a reflector. Also, the L1 uses a Low Dome, while the LS4 will use a High Dome Luxeon.

Additional advantages of the LS4:

User selectable high and low brightness settings.
Multiple battery options - 1x123, 2AA, Lithium Ion, maybe 2x123.

kev1-1

Enlightened
I am certain it will be the LS4, especially the premium. Surefire don't seem that bothered about the rank of the LS's they use. Plus, the LS4 will be the smaller (of the two); have a wider range of operating modes; clicks on/off; can use different types of battery and IMHO looks better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
kev1-1

Where did you hear that Surefire doesn't care about the rank of it's LS's ?

I didn't know that.

GregR

kev1-1

Enlightened
Double_A, that is of course only my opinion...but I base it on the fact that Arc offers a premium quality (i.e higher rank of LED) version of all there products. SureFire does not. Equally, I get the general feeling, from CPF, that in general people seem to find their Arc LSH/LSL whiter/brighter than say the KL1.

However, I am sure that SureFire does have high standards in which LED's they use...they won't use the lowest ranks...but that Arc simply uses slightly higher spec LS's IMHO. This may just be a case of Arc producing less lights and therefore being able to be more 'picky' in which LED's they reject?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right, I am sure SF is quite concerned about the quality of the LEDs they use. They do make more lights than we do however and the supply of good emitters is quite finite.

It seemed for a while that SF was favoring the cold end (blue-purple) of the spectrum in their 1 watters. This would make the light brighter at the cost of color rendering.

Like many of you, I prefer accuracy over power of course.

The warmer emitters (like what is found in an LSH or L4), tend to sacrifice some brightness for the sake of color rendering.

Both the LSH in moon mode and a large percentage of the L4s in regulation are a bit too green though for perfection. In both cases it is because the emitter is not being driven at full power. I don't care what they say, white LEDs do shift their spectrum distribution with changes in power.

So now things seem to have swung in the other direction. The Arc-LS4 corrects the cons of underdriving for the Arc side of the fence by changing the PWM/PFM distribution. This is not a magic bullet of course, just another step in the evolution.

There are a lot of good choices for everyone.

Peter

Blikbok

Enlightened
The thing that excites me about the Arc LS4 is that it's a different product than the SF KL1/L1:
[*]Surefire is committed to the 123 lithium cell, even when the Li-Ions are widely available, and the 1W doesn't really need lithiums. While the DSpeck UBH is a wonderful partner to the KL1, my Arc TSP-2AA is a factory part. Arc has written on this board that they plan on supporting Li-Ions in the LS4 and 5.
[*]The Arc LS is the premium product of the Arc line (at least until the LS5 arrives), and it shows. The KL1/L1 are not the flagship product of SF.
[*]My Arc LSH-S is a better LED that both my KL1s. I would assume it's similar with the L1. I can't wait to see the quality of an LSH-P. SF does not "bin" their LED lights like that.

I have no plans to purchase an SF L1, but a true 5W version I might. However, I am very eager to get an LS4 or 5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif