110V household 10 LED bulb...

nightgaunt

Newly Enlightened
I have seen these on Ebay for like $12, and was wondering if anyone has tried them. I would like to try them for a couple fixtures in the house, but I still seem skeptical...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any, but another source for these kinds of bulbs is jademountain.com. They're a reputable company.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reputable, maybe. Slow, yes. Very. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I bought one of their 9-LED A19 bulbs in late 2000 or thereabouts and it must have taken 6 months to reach me from the time of ordering. Kept saying "out of stock, please wait" and all the while I`d already been billed for it, at least as far as I can remember. It was a long time ago now.....

And the bulb itsself is drowned out by a Tektite Trek-4, four LED light using 3 AA cells. The LEDs in the 120v bulb are mildly driven (15mA each?) and wide angle, but at least the colour was quite nice and the beam quite smooth, once I`d removed the printing on the top of the bulb that was casting shadows.

If you`re looking for a nightlight you can just leave on forever, go for it. But you`d need several high ranking 5 watt Luxeon LEDs to even come close to the brightness of normal bulbs. You`d be better off with CFLs in that case.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I also have some 120vac LED bulbs, they are very dim. I would also guess about the same as 4 Nichia 5mm driven hard. You can easily find brighter LED flashlights. But they do take a small amount of power. Mine take 3w and are about as bright as a 7w small incandescent lamp. I have switched over to small 3w CF's, about 3 times brighter and actually smaller then the LED versions.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
I have switched over to small 3w CF's, about 3 times brighter and actually smaller then the LED versions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this a 120V screw in type replacement, or a portable light?

Hemingray

Enlightened
I've gotten some of them, check under the "golden gadgets" topic.

These bulbs aren't real bright, and they have a heavy 60 cycle AC flicker. OK for marker lites or nitelites, NG for small reading lights. These fit a standard size light socket.

There is also a 12 VDC version, so don't accidently screw one of those into an 120VAC socket...

/ed B in NH

Brock

Flashaholic
Yup, 3w 120vac CF spiral lights. They are actually candelabra base, but come with an adapter to make them fit in a standard medium base socket. I have 8 of them in my light above my kitchen table. I should say they are labeled at 3w, but they pull 38mA or about 4.6w realistically. They come looking like a bullet or those taller chandelier type bulbs, but if you wiggle the glass part it pops off and then you have a shorter mini spiral CF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I used to have 8 25w lamps in there for a total of 200w now it is only 36w. It is a bit dimmer but not enough for my wife to complain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Oh I got them at Home Depot.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Wouldn't this be a clever idea for somebody to build: a bedside lamp with a few LEDs and an halogen bulb. Then you could use the LEDs when you just need to navigate (say when you wake up in the middle of the night and need to use the bathroom), and you could use the halogen when you want to read in bed.

The added benefit is (of course) that the LEDs never burn out, so you have a backup light source. If the halogen burns out and you don't have an immediate replacement, you still have a serviceable bedside lamp.

-barry