Impressed by an unknown EDC light.

Tomas

Banned
About one mile west of here is the state psychiatric hospital. Yesterday one of the 'residents' of the "high security" building, who was involuntarily there by court order, escaped from the area he was supposed to be in.

There was an immediate alarm and the guards, local police, state police, and news helicopters converged on the area.

As I was busily going walleyed trying to watch the choppers circling like vultures out my sliding glass doors and the aerial images on TV, they found, tasered into quivering jello, and took into custody the guy, who was up on the flat roof.

(Even had he made it off the roof of the three story building, he would still be inside a couple of 20 foot high fences and a bunch of razor-wire.)

Anyway, it was still daylight, and the grey/white roof was in sunlight, but had a number of dark shadowed areas. One of the guards walking around on the roof had his flashlight out (from the image on TV it seemed black and about 2-3D size). What I found amazing was that you could tell it was on - it left a clearly visible, bright white, foot diameter spot on the roof even in full sunlight.

THAT is a flashlight!

(I was also amazed with the quality of the images from the two choppers - they were probably about 1500 feet up and when off to the side of the action by about the same distance were returning easily identifiable images of faces, etc. Airborne cameras and camera stabilization systems are amazing these days.)

I don't know what kind of light that guard was carrying (he dropped it into a head-up-carry loop on his belt while it was still on, and the image bloomed around the light (overexposed) even in sunlight when it happened to get aimed at one of the choppers.

( Brief news report of incident. )

T_sig6.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
That's interesting... Could it have been a Surefire 10x dominator in Bright mode? Whatever it was, it sure sounds impressive! I want one.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Gotta wear these cool safety glasses though, if it's brighter than the sun!

David <><

Tomas

Banned
RevDavid, at first it didn't hit me that I was seeing the beam in sunlight, and when that finally sunk in I really was impressed. It wasn't THAT bright a spot it was leaving, but it WAS readily visible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

When it comes right down to the really bright stuff, I have no experience (and no need for) that sort of power. I have no idea what this one could have been, but it was probably the right unit for the job it was being used for: Searching for someone possibly hiding in deep shadows on a "surface of the moon" sunlit white roof.

T_sig6.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see a dim spot of light with my Magcharger in the day. Maybe not on a white roof though. Something to try.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
insane hid mod? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

really...i can't think of any stock light that would perform that well... (then again, the brightest in my flashlight inventory is an ultrastinger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
My guess would be he had a Tigerlight. Second guess would be Surefire M6. I have the Tigerlight and it is very bright. When I light up my back yard at night the neighbors often turn on their back porch lights. Recently found a couple of bongs that were thrown over the fence and I'm watching out back now.
oldgrandpajack

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
What I'd really like is a laser powerful enough to brand, these kids on dope, at 100 meters. I can smell the searing flesh now.
oldgrandpajack

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
... One of the guards walking around on the roof had his flashlight out (from the image on TV it seemed black and about 2-3D size). What I found amazing was that you could tell it was on - it left a clearly visible, bright white, foot diameter spot on the roof even in full sunlight.

THAT is a flashlight!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tomas,

Here is an excerpt from Brock's brief review of the SF M6 from his Regular Flashlight review page

12-10-00 M6 from Surefire. "This is like holding some of the sun in your hands. It can be seen against a building from over 50 feet in full sun!"

Brightnorm

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
From the black, prison type facility and 2-3D description I would guess Tigerlight, 8" FBOP, (Federal Bureau of Prisons). I may have to try this if the sun comes out today.

OK, I tried it against white concrete in the full sun and it's clearly visible but certainly not bright. About like a factory AA minimag would look 30 minutes after sunset is my best description. I can very faintly see the beam against a tree at 15'.

The silly things we do…