Runtime tests on a HDS 170T with a 2AA BATTERY compartment

Harry999

Enlightened
This thread is to cover the results of my runtime tests on various AA battery types in the 2AA battery compartment recently released by HDS for the EDC clicky. The battery compartment was purchased independently by me from HDS. I have no connection with the company although I would love it if it were otherwise so I could find out what the new lights are like now!

I am starting the tests with a 170 tactical model. The high default factory setting has already been tested and I now move onto the medium (15 lumens) setting which will then be followed by testing of the runtime on the default low setting on the light (0.3 lumens).

The battery types used are L91 Energiser lithium AAs, Sanyo eneloops and AA Alkalis (I will try to use just one brand which are for this test the Golden Power GP Ultras).

All batteries have been tested with a ZTS battery tester to ensure they are starting at full capacity.

I am trying to measure the point at which the light first indicates it is dropping a level on the high setting and to complete shut off on medium and low settings. With the high setting I will also record the point at which the primary AA cells were unable to keep the light on.

I will try to update the original post as we go along. Just as an aside I note that based on a comment Henry made in an earlier CPF thread when the 2AA battery compartment was being discussed I think the lithium L91s will be the most efficient for high settings and alkalines will be king at lower levels. That is what we saw with the 4 Sevens Quark runtime tests.

The results of the high setting were:

2xL91 AA - first drop in levels at 4h 5 mins. Complete shut off at 10h 35 mins. ZTS tester showed one L91 to be drained completely and the other to have 10% or less capacity.

2x eneloops - first drop at 2h. ZTS tester showed each eneloop still had 20% capacity left at this point.

2x alkalis - first drop at 55 mins. Test continued until 19h 15 mins at which point light given off still stronger than the 0.2 lumen moonlight setting on a Quark AA. Runtimes on low settings will be the final test in this series when this level can be better tested.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man I'd like to hear more about this.
Thanks for testing.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Man I'd like to hear more about this.
Thanks for testing.

Given the date of the OP, there may be a good chance that further info and later posts would have been lost in "The Great Crash" ....

I just wish I could find an HDS 2xAA "Legacy" battery tube :devil:

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am confident that I will eventually be able to purchase a new acme threaded 2AA compartment.
Good luck with your hunt for the old style.