Minimag conversion to more power?

darkwater

Newly Enlightened
Is there a conversion available for mini-Mags to give them the photon pumping power of such lights as Surefires and Arcs?

Thanks,
Brian

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
dark,
Why...yes there is. The Arcs use the 1.25 watt Luxeon LED and so do the dat2zip "sandwiches". Get a Madmax+ Q3L sandwich and put it in your minimag, throw in a mineral glass lens for that extra touch of goodness. The madmax+ is a voltage regulator to keep brightness even.
The Madmax+ Q3L runs $45, the mineral glass is $1.50 and a Kroll tailswitch (same switch as the Arc) runs $4.50. The sandwich comes with NX05 optics, they can be changed to McFlood optics ($8) for better flood lighting or get a Fraen low profile optics for longer throw.
The CPF has a section for products from the sandwich shoppe... check it out.

darkwater

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. So does that mean that Arcs and Mini mags are the same diameter? May be able to use my mini-mag pressure switch on a arc too...will check that out with my friends Arc.

Thanks,
Brian

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The diameter of the head on the Arc is smaller than the Minigag, but they can both use the kroll clickie switch. The Arc LSH-P is rated at about 25 lumens, and the badboys and madmaxes drive the LS harder, so they should put out more than 25 lumens.

darkwater

Newly Enlightened
how does that compare with the Mini-mag? Im guessing its more, but dont have the documentation to prove it.

paulr

Flashaholic
Darkwater, the LED sandwich modules have about the same output as an Arc LS which is a little brighter than a stock minimag. The main advantages are the LED doesn't burn out like a bulb, it has constant color and doesn't have all those awful holes in the beam. The output will be similar to the Surefire L1 or KL1 LED heads.

The simplest and cheapest way to brighten a Minimag is to use a Brinkmann 2aa bulb in it. That's just a pop-in replacement. Of course it drains the batteries faster.

There's no practical way to make a Minimag anywhere near as bright as the 2 and 3 cell incandescent Surefires.

ubermensch

Enlightened
The output of the krypton bi-pin bulb is ~5 lumens, that might be higher with a nexstar xenon bulb. But output is still way, way, way inferior to a 1 watt luxeon. I have all three, and those bi-pins are good for nothing.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be aware that the luxeon stars will give much wider beam than the minigag, so the stock bulb will throw a little farther, but the LS will light up a larger area.

darkwater

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks for the info.

I think I'll take all of the above /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and an arc and surefire too!

Thanks,
Brian