E-McModule

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Well, I was so excited about the E-can coming out I bought 8 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif along with 2 E1es, 4 converter boards, and a bunch of colored 1W emitters from Future-Active /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really liked the idea of the McModule in the PM6 with it's interchangable modules, but the large size was a turn off. So when I saw McGizmo's original mod on his web page I knew this was the light for me.

Otokoyama was kind enough to machine up some E-heatsinks after McGizmo sent me the machinist drawings. Both these guys are an absolute pleasure to deal with, btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

I just read over in the Sandwich Shop forum that Wayne has ordered a bunch of these E-sinks to facilitate this mod. His will be anodized to isolate the emitter from the HS as well.

The only difficult part of this mod is drilling out the original bezel to 13/32". It can be done on a drill press, if you're careful. SF sells replacements for $24.00. Don't ask how I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Here're two modules I've completed so far. A cyan 1W SE + MM+ wide open and a Q3JW HD + MM+ wide open.

I've been really jazzed on reflector lately. No beam artifacts, just great clean light.

For beamshots and analysis, check McGizmo's pages here and here

Next up a red 1W SE + BB400!

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Chief,

I can't tell you what a pleasure and sense of satisfaction you have given me to see these components being used to by you to make it your way! Mods have always been a means to cater specifically to illumination goals beyond those offered by the manufacturers. Now that Wayne has provided the DownBoys as well as resistors and info for chosing your own level of drive current, we all really have a world of options! For your red SE, you might consider using a DownBoy driver. Since the VF is likely below that of a single 123 cell, you should have a viable package on a single 123 but the option of using this module on 2x123 and 3x123 as well.

Great job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
That's a great idea! Back to the shop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Really, without the components you've made available many of us wouldn't be able to make these great toys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks, Don!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey Chiefy, nice mod and nice ideas! What's the "moat" on the one with the SE for? Some critical spacing issue?

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Correct. Don did all the hard work and figured out that with the SE a 0.025" counterbore yields proper focus in the SF reflector.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE mod, Chief /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

they looks superb and pretty, neat work indeed

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boyyy... I'd like to take an Amber SE (or HD even!) an E-Can and a DB and drop them all in an E2E. OK, how much of my current collection will I need to sell or trade... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Jon

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Now that others will be messing with this mod platform, there are still some issues to be deterimined, I think. In my experience, The SE both 1 and 5W direct more off axis light at the reflector and thus you get more focused light in the center, reflected beam. This beam angle or spot is larger but higher in luminous output compared to the small tight center beam from the HD. I can't recall trying a LD to see if the off axis concentration of light (the batwing) is caught effectively by the reflector or not. I also suspect that the sweet spot of the LD is likely near to where the HD is as opposed to a drop back as needed for the SE. I reckon folks will post their findings.

On a possibly related note, I have had no experience with the new optics but it may be that they can be employed as well with a different sink/slug in the E bezels. Lambda nade some nice E pills a while back which would fit in a modded E bezel, using the NX05 and I believe the E-can can be used for a similar mod possibly with the newer optics or the popular HD-NX05 combo.

- Don

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
After using the HD and the SE for a couple days, I concur with you initial findings that the SE may be better for general use.

Lately, I've been finding myself wanting _bright_ flood light for up close work indoors, rather than throw. That's not to say the white HD is not useful up close, just that the SE provide a wider more diffuse beam. Without fail, when I go outside, I load up the HD.

I have not yet compared an SE and HD of the same bin and color, though, so my experiece is subjective based on beam size and relative brightness only.

Regardless, the E1e body makes a fantastic small pocket blaster with this type of comversion. I'll never run the incan in it again.