Recessed switches?

Ross

Enlightened
Hi folks,
I dont know if anyone's had the same problems as me with my surefires, I carry a G2 and a D3 at work (police constable) which I have fitted with kroll switches (dead easy to do) but I still find myself activating them by accident when bending over, fighting, running or something like that.
Is there such a thing as a recessed switch which could be added to my surefires? I think McGizmo has something on his excellent site which is pretty much what I am after.

I know that the surefires (except my G2) have LOTC's but I still need to be in the position to be able to grab the light and activate it instantly rather than having to worry about turning the tailcap, albeit even slightly.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards

Ross

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The millenium series clickies are slightly recessed behind a rubber shroud. I havent carried one around, but in normal use, they are fairly hard to turn on by accident. The clickies are much nicer to use than the "twist for constant on" tailcaps.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ross,

I have seen some elegant as well as functional solutions to your problem but nothing is commercially available, at this time, to my knowledge. The rubber shrouded clickie does provide some protection but whether it is enough is likely dependent on your method of carry as Al has alluded to. If function is more important than looks, I would suggest that you consider taking a small section of PVC or ABS pipe and gluing it over the tail cap and extending past the switch button, You can then remove plastic to the point that just protects yet allows access to the switch. You can be creative in how and where you remove the excess plastic.

You can always heat up the switch and start over again or replace a worn guard.

- Don

Ross

Enlightened
Al, I carry my G2 in the front pocket of my stabproof vest and my D3 in a 'uncle mikes' surefire holster on my belt.

Don, Thanks for the info - function is definately more important to me than looks so I may experiment with your idea.

Would there be any way I could stiffen up the kroll switch?

Ross

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think I understand now how the switch can be activating as you mention. I believe that SureFire's holsters are designed to avoid activation. Have you considered using the V20 or V21 (quick detach) or even the V26 leather holster?

The V10/V11 will fit the D3.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ross,

If you take the Kroll apart, you can see which spring is being compressed on activation. It may be possible to find a stiffer spring that will work in this cavity. It may also be possible to add an additional spring in tandem here. I haven't tried any of this and have my doubts as to a simple solution. The other consideration is that you really don't want a stiff spring at least for the momentary function. SF's new clickies are designed with a very soft "mom" force coupled with a higher force required for latching constant on. I think the Kroll has the correct force requirements but does need to be guarded in some cases of carry as you have found.

- Don

Ross

Enlightened
Al - Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out.

Don - I'll have a play about with the switch but a guard would be ideal. I'll let you guys know what I come up with!

Regards

Ross

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Ross,

This is probably immediately apparent to you, but as someone who is neither LEO nor Mil (just a geek who likes flashlights), it took me a "moment of clarity" to figure out as I was fooling around with one of my own SureFires that's been fitted with a SF clickie tailcap (Z48).....

With any such "shield" around the perimeter of the button, you're going to make it harder, if not at times impossible, to execute certain flashlight techniques, such as the Rogers/SureFire, Hargreaves, etc., where the protruding momentary switch rests against the middle or lower
part of the thumb and the torch is activated by squeezing it between fingers and this pad of flesh (or a knuckle on the gun-hand, as with the latter technique).

For example, with the Z48, I could not engage my C2 with the Rogers/SF technique.

If you're worried about Accidental Discharges, I would venture to think that maybe a different holster/carrier for your light should be entertained if the above techniques are among your favorites?

Hope this helps. =)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Ross

Enlightened
Allen,
Thanks for your comments. Being in the UK, I dont use a particular technique because I dont have a firearm to use it with.
I am going to look at my carry options though.

Ross

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ross,

One last comment that is likely not relevant. I have drilled and tapped the bodies of both the PM6 and C2 for direct mount of a swivel tab on a swivel belt clip. I have come to use this method of carry and deployment of all of my 2 and 3 cell lights. I have not encountered any problems with inadvertent switching on of unprotected tail switches.

- Don

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Ross,

Ah! That's right!

Sorry 'bout that -- I'm a typically culturally blind American.

=)

In so far as holsters/carriers go....

With my SureFire V71 polymer holster, my C2/Z2, carried bezel DOWN can be tripped if the tailcap is not locked-out. There's a hole at the base of this holster (drainage?) so it can spill light in an AD situation -- I taped/plugged it, and that solved the problem (but obviously, this item will then get waterlogged....), however, there are two smaller channels at the back of this unit, designed to allow pass-through of a lanyard, which can still spill a small amount of light. Being that the spilled light is so close to your body, I am afraid that an AD might make your position known in a low light situation, despite how small it it.

Carried bezel UP, the tailcap is totally shielded. This model also carries my C3.

If a "sealed" bezel-down carry format (thus preventing AD light from spilling) is your thing, and you have a place on your gear to latch on a kydex or other polymer carrier, you can see about contacting guys like Blade-Tech, Cen-Dex, etc., which should make items of this type that they can customize for your preferences. In my experience, these rigs often are also of slightly higher quality and offer a closer-profile carry.

For field-use, I carry my C2/Z2 in a SOE (Special Operations Equipment) M2 pouch. This particular Cordura pouch is constructed and stitched so that AD's spill only minimally, and that what light does spill is converted to a very subdued "red" shade suitable for close-range work such as map-reading. I am not certain how much this may or may not be acceptable to you....

Best of luck on your quest.

=)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Latest posts