Pepperspray effectiveness study results

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I was surprised and disappointed that this US Dept of Justice report on pepper spray omits any mention of heat rating, a key factor in pepperspray effectivenes. It isn't even mentioned under "What Were The Studies Limitations?" This is like evaluating "guns stopping power" without identifying the type, caliber or any other characteristics of the tested weapons.

It would be helpful to see an up to date study that evaluates the most effective product currently on the market (presumably FOX 5,300,000 SHU), rather than relying on the few available individual reports.

Brightnorm

PEPPERSPRAY EFFECTIVENESS & SAFTEY

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
they fail to mention the number of subjects that just get pissed when sprayed thus making matters worse.or injuries suffered by oficers that goof and get themselves rather than the target.
i watched a cop spray a drunk and the wind blew the spray back into his face.i bet he will be more carefull next time!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
This is an important enough subject to merit a decent study, but until then we'll just have to rely on anecdotal information.

Brightnorm

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Brightnorm,

Here is a study from NY.

NYC pepper spray study

I believe this was using a 10% OC device, but there is no mention of the Scoville units.

The bottom line seems to be that it effective around 84% of the time.

Tom

mrorange

Newly Enlightened
I'll chime in. I've been a cop for eight years this November and I have found that most people fall into two distinct camps, those who pepper spray works great on and those it barely affects at all. Very few in between types. I happen to be one of those who it works great on, and as pointed out previously, it's all too easy to get some backsrpay from the blast and be affected yourself. After many field uses, I'm not a big fan of any of the chemical agents, use them if they are all you have, but don't depend on them to work.
I had to use pepper spray on a gentleman last week who was highly intoxicated/combative......and it did not work, at least not right away; of course I got a whiff and probably was worse off then he was. After about 15 minutes he really started to feel it, but 15 minutes is a REALLY long time when you need someone to go down now.
I'm a big fan of the M26 Taser, they make a civilian legal version called the M18 (18 Watts instead of 26). I'll use the Taser before pepper spray every time if I can.

This is just my experience, so your mileage may vary and take it with a grain of salt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Thanks SilverFox and mrorange,

SilverFox,

The NYC study, as you point out, makes no mention of OC heat index, the same failing as the study I originally quoted. This doesn't invalidate the study but deprives us of useful information.

mrorange,

Can you say what brand you were using or whether you know the heat index in SHU or any other figures, and have you ever worked with Fox 5,300,000 OC or know anyone who has? As an LEO you have other force options in case the taser doesn't work, but as an older guy who's not in the greatest health fighting and even fast running would be really hard for me. Unfortunately I live in a gun-hating city and the only pistol permit I could get (after at least 6 months) is a premises only permit. Any further ideas will be much appreciated.

Thank you both for your help.

Brightnorm

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I've always thought that the rapist who's on top of his profession will buy safety goggles and a respirator at the local Home Depot before attacking. I think we depend too much on criminal scum being stupid.