NEW FENIX ld10 R5: great but switching between modes is problematic, help needed

fannin

Enlightened
Happy new year cpf

I just received a new Fenix LD10 r5 as a late xmas present, i was so happy with it: i wanted it for ages and i also got really lucky with the tint: really nice warm tint, not the dreaded green. and the low mode is very low, almost as low as my nitecore d10, which was a nice surprise.

but it was not all good news: i noticed that the switch was noticeably stiffer than all my other ld10, ld20's etc, this did not bother me at all but there is a problem in mode switching when the bezel is loose:

i usually lightly tap my ld10's/20's to switch between modes but my new r5 is a little stiff and seems to want me to fully click in the clicky to switch between modes most of the time (although it will switch with taps sometimes, just a little stiff)

the problem is that sometimes (usually when fully clicking the switch to change modes is that it stays in medium and won't go into high like it should).

i am very used to using the ld10/20 line and this is just not right.

does anyone know whether this is a head (circuit?) or a tailcap issue? i hope it's the tailcap and can be fixed because i do not want to change the light and re-enter the XPG-R5 tint lottery.

can any one help please? i've searched for similar threads but no luck

thanks

erpan

Newly Enlightened
try to hold some seconds when halfpressing. should work. really dissapointed with r5 , i have the r4 which is better beam and also brighter. i expected more from this new model.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a switch issue, but you could have dirty threads as well. First thing I would do is try the tailcap from an LD20 on it plus another batery and see if it works normally.

erpan

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a switch issue, but you could have dirty threads as well. First thing I would do is try the tailcap from an LD20 on it plus another batery and see if it works normally.

i have 2 pcs of ld10 r5 , brand new with same switch that you need to halfpress and hold.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a possible change in design, but just to make sure I would exchange the whole tailcap from one of your older lights and put it on the new LD10s to see if it will behave like your older lights do. If that's the case, then you have a switch or tailcap issue.

erpan

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a possible change in design, but just to make sure I would exchange the whole tailcap from one of your older lights and put it on the new LD10s to see if it will behave like your older lights do. If that's the case, then you have a switch or tailcap issue.

ld10 r4 swith on r5 not possible. but r5 swith on r4 works and then it is working as r4 did. so probably a new design to prevent accidentaly change of modes.

the r5 is dim compared to my r4. i did the serial enquiry without sucess so i have mailed fenix regarding this. I bought the giftset with e05 r2.

Last edited: