Turbo head on 8ax ?

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
I have an 8AX and am wondering if the turbo head will add much throw to the light. What are the draw backs of this other than the price? Does it make it any brighter or less run time? A little or a lot less side spill?

Thanks for any and all help.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The TurboHead for the 8AX is the KT5-HA or KT5-BK.

The collar fits on the 8AX/8NX body and allows you to screw on the KT TurboHead with the N5 Lamp Assembly.

The N5 Lamp Assembly is the same output/runtime as the X80.

If you have any of the other TurboHeads such as the "T", "SRTH" or "12PM" TurboHeads they will also fit and function on the collar with the N5 Lamp.

The N5 in the KT5 on my 8NX is actually a bit of a surprise. Because the N5/X80 filament is pretty small, the N5 produces a small, round tight beam.

More to follow, I have to go offline for a bit....

Al

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
Al, Looking forward to hearing more. Is it worth buying? Will it provide much more range, ect.

Thanks

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 8NX+KT5 I have puts out a beam sort of like the N1/N2 lamps do. So it's a nice beam but not too intense as TurboHead beams go.

The major thing about TurboHead models is how you are going to carry them. The 8AX+KT5 should fit in a BlackHawk M6 Pouch.

Would I buy a KT5 for my 8AX if I had one? Yes. Because I'd want to try it out and have a longer range option for it.

BUT, I wouldn't have bought the 8AX in the first place because I think the 9AN is better, and the 9AN+KT3 is better. The KT3 beam is larger with less throw but more 'solid'.

Al

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Al. I know we had discussed this before via e-mail but I wouldn't have wanted this any longer or heavier such as the 9AN is. I may give one a try. I'm looking for a tighter beam so maybe this will help.

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Then I suggest you get the KT5 and also the SRTH from LPS. This combination of SRTH and N5 lamp should give you more like the beam you are after I think.

Al