Brightest UV LED that I can get?

Negeltu

Enlightened
What's the brightest UV led that I can get? I looked on Lumileds site and noticed that they don't make UV leds. Why is that?

Any info you guys can give me would be appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't think anyone here really knows.
The current "best" near-UV LEDs you can get today are 5mm (T1 3/4) types in clear epoxy packages that output 10-12mW at 395-405nm. These use Cree Megabright dice as far as I'm aware. The "advertised" lifetime is 100,000 hours, but testing by an independent person yielded half-lives on the order of 150-200 hours. I'm not sure if it was the epoxy that degraded or if the LED's chip pooped out, or maybe a bit of both.

There have been anecdotal reports that Lumileds occasionally screws up a batch of royal blue (455nm) dice and that a very small number of ~410nm Luxeon Star LEDs have resulted (not enough indium in the dice is my best guess); however I have never seen one, nor can I actually confirm the reports.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I think maybe the ones that Craig is referring to might be the Dental Blue Luxeons. I was disappointed with the UV output of the RB's I've seen.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Ok, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif me!
So Craig, where have these RB anomalies gone to? Were they sold? Who made these reports? Just curious...

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, we have the MC395 - Its *VERY* bright

It is a 20x5mm LED adapter for 395nm for $50; it works in the MAG 3D flashlight body works very well with FL dyes and Vaseline Glass (Free marble with purchase)