Help me pick a hydraulic jack, please.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been putting off buying some sort of hydraulic jack for a while now, but I can't wait much longer. Since some of you seem to have some garage expertise, maybe you could point me in the right direction?

I'll tell you some uses I'd have for a jack. First the obvious, of course, of jacking up my cars for simple things like tire changes while they sit in our driveway. (The driveway's level but consists of small, packed gravel, if it matters.) Beyond this, I need something I can use to raise the front of my riding lawnmower enough to get decent access to the underside of the mowing deck so I can clean impacted grass out of it, change the blades, install or remove the mulching inserts, etc. I'm sure I'll find other uses for a jack in the future, but for now these are the main two, with the mower probably being the more immediate need.

I'm only a homeowner who needs an occasional workhorse here, not some sort of auto enthusiast. That said, I prefer to buy a decent piece of equipment that will last for a long time; can't stand buying junk that fails in a year or two. I'll also mention that my grandfather used to do his own repairs on his cars and once had a hydraulic jack fail on him, pinning him under the car and nearly choking him to death. (A rod was pressing against his throat.) I'd like a jack where I can count on such a thing NOT happening! At least to the extent that I can count on anything.

So the question would be, what do you folks suggest I buy, and how much should I expect to spend?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Help me pick an a hydraulic jack, please.

Don't scrimp too much on the jack. That said, hydraulics to a large degree are hydraulics.

In addition, get some jack stands for when you will be UNDER a vehicle!

The best feature for a floor jack, is to have the handle do both functions ie: twist to let down.

We have two jacks, a cheapy from Sams that works pretty good, and a big bad garage jack that was given to us that ROCKS!

For your use, I think the Sams would do. You MIGHT also check around at Pawn Shops and such...

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Holmatro makes the best jacks.

sp3_JJ1513.gif

sp3_10000KB.gif

sp3_HLJ50A6.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

How 'bout one of these babies!!

http://www.bakerprecision.com/longacr20.htm

In all seriousness, might go to your local Sears and see if the line of craftsman jacks would suit your needs. Been using a couple of them for years with no problems. Oh, and don't forget jack stands.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a jack and a couple of jack stands (a must have). What you are jacking up will determine the size (maximum and minimum height) of the jack and it's load capacity. The lower the object is to the ground, the less options you will have unless you can put the object on a ramp of some kind, at least enough to get the jack under it. For instance a hydraulic bottle jack will only get so low to the ground (minimum height). The gravel is not a problem, though you might want to put a piece of wood under the base of the your jack or jack stands.

Sears, Walmart, Schucks, Napa......look for the sales. I got mine from Harborfreight and they are built every bit as good as the basic models you can get anywhere else IMHO. I also keep my cell phone within reach if I'm under something and I'm the only one home. If I get pinned and am alive and able, I can at least call for help.

I have these....

Farm Jack

Bottle Jack

Jack Stands

mike

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never trust a jack of any kind. Always block the vehicle or use jack stands etc. Block the wheels too or set the parking brake.

A classmate of mine was killed when he crawled under a car that was raised with a bumper jack.

You can buy ramps to run your car up on when you want to crawl under it. They might be the easiest way to elevate the lawn mower.

avusblue

Enlightened
These things are heavy, if you mail order one the shipping will kill you.

I bought one last fall from Wal-Mart that's branded "Mack" (as in Mack Truck) and found it to be EXCELLENT quality for a very low price. It was bundled with jack stands. I was suprised by how good this kit is; my expectations were definitely exceeded. I recommend you check it out.

And I agree, NEVER lay under a car supported only by a jack.

Good luck,

Dave

Bill.H

Enlightened
A tip I got from a mechanic friend - avoid the jacks (I'm not talking about bottle jacks here) that have the little tiny saddles. Look for a 4" or 5" one. The 2" or smaller ones are not only harder to use, but if the manufacturer was scrimping there, where else did he scrimp?

The nicer ones seem to be in the $150+ range, but I've seen them on sale for $99 a few times.

You can save a lot of money by purchasing a bottle jack, but they're much more inconvienent to use. That said, will you be able to utilize a wheeled one on a gravel driveway? If not, a bottle jack might be a better choice.

Either way, invest the money/time in getting/making good chock(s) for the opposite end of the vehicle.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
eluminator, good advice for sure. Sad about your classmate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

avusblue, is there a model number for the specific jack you purchased?

Bill.H, what's a "saddle" as it pertains to jacks? Also, do you mean bottle jacks are inconvenient because you have to carry them to the work instead of rolling them? That's probably not a big concern for me. Or did you mean something else about them? Hmm... and what about the chocks... what makes for a "good" chock vs. a "bad" chock?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A lever type garage jack has one major advantage over a bottle jack. It will almost certainly start from a lower to much lower position when lifting.

On something like my F-350 a bottle jack works fine. On my Dads El Camino, if all you had was a bottle... GIVE UP!

The saddle is the part that contacts the item to be lifted. A bottle jack doesn't have a saddle. Look at some pics on the web to see what I mean.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH, I see you don't like my jacks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif . just kiddin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
Bill.H, what's a "saddle" as it pertains to jacks? Also, do you mean bottle jacks are inconvenient because you have to carry them to the work instead of rolling them? That's probably not a big concern for me. Or did you mean something else about them? Hmm... and what about the chocks... what makes for a "good" chock vs. a "bad" chock?

[/ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe already answered about the saddle, and he's also right about a standard bottle jack not fitting well under many cars.

Convenience: You have to crawl under the vehicle to place a bottle jack, and, while you're under there, jack it up. With the rolling type, you can do most of the work without laying down (not fun in a gravel driveway).

The difference between a good chock and a bad chock - a good chock will stop the vehicle from rolling. A brick is a bad chock. A piece of scrap 8x8 cut at a 45 is much better. You can buy ones that are large, plus they dig into the surface to prvent sliding, even better. If your driveway is fairly flat you won't need much.
Concrete blocks slide fairly easily on asphalt driveways (don't ask). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
The small base on a bottle jack also makes it rather easy for it to tip over (don't ask how I know that, either). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:

avusblue, is there a model number for the specific jack you purchased?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to confess, the reason I was a little vague in my original post, is that I don't have it handy to give any more specifics; I loaned the kit to my friend and it's been living in his garage all summer. He's got a much nicer garage than me, and he lets me change my oil over there, so I think I'll leave it.

I do recall that the kit came with a wheeled floor jack, two jack stands, and a carry case, all for about 30 bucks. It's painted silver and has the "Mack" logo on it. I know it seems unbelievable that something so cheap could be any good, but it really is. Smooth jacking action, good low-to-high range, and it shows nice craftsmanship and finish. Sorry I can't be more specific about the PN or specs.

I also did buy a "Mack" extendable lug wrench kit, it has a reversable bit to fit any lug bolt, and a very nice carry case, for about 15 bucks. It's nice too.

Next time you're at the friendly neighborhood WallyWorld, check 'em both out.

Good luck,

Dave

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone ever seen a "reasonably priced" air powered floor jack?
I think it'd be a nifty thing to have a jack that I could hook up to my air line and just feather a throttle control to lift the car. I don't mean the types I've seen that use an air bag, but just a regular 3-1/4 ton floor jack with an air input-
I suppose there must be some technical or liability issues that prevent it from coming to the general market, being such an obvious next step, and it doesn't seem like it'd be very difficult to design (implementing the required safety mechanisms)

MikeF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Wingerr said:
Anyone ever seen a "reasonably priced" air powered floor jack?
I think it'd be a nifty thing to have a jack that I could hook up to my air line and just feather a throttle control to lift the car. I don't mean the types I've seen that use an air bag, but just a regular 3-1/4 ton floor jack with an air input-
I suppose there must be some technical or liability issues that prevent it from coming to the general market, being such an obvious next step, and it doesn't seem like it'd be very difficult to design (implementing the required safety mechanisms)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wingerr - There are several Air/Hydraulic jacks, but most are heavy duty for truck fleet operations, and are in the 20 ton and greater range. If all you are looking for is higher speed, look for floor jacks with a quick action lift pedal. The quick lift pedal allows you to raise the jack saddle or lifting pad quickly to the lifting point, and as soon as the weight starts to be lifted, you use the long pumping handle for the heavy lifting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Here's a link to Northern Tool, a company that sent me a catalog. I have not done business with them so you may want to check with the BBB where they are located. Link

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MikeF said:
Here's a link to Northern Tool, a company that sent me a catalog. I have not done business with them so you may want to check with the BBB where they are located. Link

[/ QUOTE ]

Northern Tool and Equipment is based in Minneapolis / St. Paul, and they have numerous retail stores here and other metro areas. They used to go by "Northern Hydraulic" and so of course that's what most folks around here still call them. They are reputable and have a good standing as a fun place to browse for those of us "more power - ungh ungh ungh!" guys. Their mainstay is offering house-brand gear, that isn't usually the cheapest, but seems to be good quality.

That said, I still recommend checkin' out the Wal-Mart offerings before you buy.

Dave

snuffy

Enlightened
I picked up one of these at Sears today. On sale for $100. It's a 3 1/2 ton with a 4" saddle and weighs 82 lbs.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MikeF said:
Wingerr - There are several Air/Hydraulic jacks, but most are heavy duty for truck fleet operations, and are in the 20 ton and greater range. If all you are looking for is higher speed, look for floor jacks with a quick action lift pedal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen the speedi-lift jacks, but haven't yet gotten one or tried them out. My interest in the air jack is more out of laziness, and the fact that I have a nice compressor just sitting there willing to do all the work for me- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I just didn't see why there's nothing on the market for the light duty applications; I have nothing approaching 20 tons myself-

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
snuffy, that's a lot of jack! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The only thing that gives me pause is the 82 lbs. weight. In my case, I will almost definitely need to carry whatever jack I get out of the back of the garage (too many obstructions in the garage to roll it, then there's the gravel on the driveway) to the car or riding mower sitting outside. 82 lbs. is quite a little bundle to be carrying around! Maybe I could look on it as getting a little weight training mixed into my maintenance work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

avusblue, I was in the local Walmart tonight, and saw a Mack jack in a plastic carry case, but no jack stands. I also saw a Mack jack (in cardboard box, so not sure about a case) with a pair of jack stands, a four-sided lug wrench, and what appeared to be a poor quality pair of collapsible chucks. Price on each package was $28.xx. Is yours anything like either of these?

Also, it looked like the Mack jacks had the dreaded 2 inch saddle; should this concern me, given what's been said about the saddle in this thread? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Finally, if memory serves at least one of the Mack jacks I saw had some kind of locking pin. It looked like the idea was to jack up the object in question, then insert the locking pin, which would keep the jack from lowering more than a little bit in the event of failure. Seemed like a good idea to me, but is this truly a reasonable safeguard?

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll regret getting an 82 lb jack if you need to lift it regularly to get it to where you need it.. The Harbor Freight racing jack is in the 30's, and I picked one of that type up (physically that is) at Costco, and it's a genuine benefit, having a lighter weight.
40105p.gif

harbor freight

If you have a place to stow it where you can roll it over, then the heavy jacks would be fine, and a better value.
You would be better off looking for one with a wider saddle; less chance of the car slipping off with the wide saddle. I usually cut up some old tires to use as jack pads, to protect the car from getting gouged by the lip; they work really well, and the price is right! You could also use them to provide a non slip base for wheel chocks and ramps (place them under the tall end to prevent them from sliding as you start up the ramp) If you do try to cut up old tires, the only way you can go through the steel belted ones is with a reciprocating saw; nothing else will do, I found.
Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif