Quitting smoking... I think I have found the answer...

mdocod

Flashaholic
I've been smoking cigs for almost a decade, and have always assumed that some day I would quit. Well, I think I finally have found a way to do it that I had to share because this could help a lot of people quit smoking.

While I am no longer smoking, I am now instead vaping as it is known in the world of electronic cigarettes. I am now 10 days cigarette free and its getting easier each day.

The electronic cigarette is a simple device, and actually shares a lot in common with a flashlight. It's a body that holds a battery, a switch of some sort, and a heating element (think bulb filament) that vaporizes a liquid that is wicked into that heating element from a poly-fill or wool wadding of sorts.

As I see it, the advantage to this quit-smoking method is that it delivers a similar feel as the real deal and partially satisfies the addiction to the ACT of smoking.

If you are serious about quitting smoking I highly encourage you to go do some research on these devices and give this a try. I went straight to a big battery mod style device, which is even more like a flashlight than most ecigs in that it has a removable loose li-ion cell as its power source. I am using AW IMR14500s in my ecig. Yes its larger than a cig, but this way I have plenty of stored energy to make it through a day of vaping without dealing with battery changes and such.

The transition in the first couple days is hard as the body adjusts to the new absorption method and the less than natural nicotine that most liquids probably use, but once adjusted, the ecig kind of replaces the cigarette as the new dirty habit. Whether or not I will be able to quit the ecig, is of far less importance than avoiding real cigarettes. While its still an addiction and a bad habit, I have been lead to believe that it is magnitudes safer than real cigarettes. Quitting vaping is also probably easier to do because there are different strengths of nicotine available for the juices, doing a step-down program is relatively straight forward and initiated by the user at any time by simply buying different juice. Also, there is juice available with no nicotine at all, so you can continue to satisfy the craving for the act and completely eliminate the chemical addiction. I see this as a step towards completely quiting that is not available in any other quit-smoking-method.

Vaping can actually be cheaper than smoking. As far as I know, vaping is the cheapest longer term quit-smoking aid that delivers nicotine.

Yall quit smoking now ya hear? :)

Eric

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gave the e-cigs a try after reading this thread.
Thanks mdocod.

I've been smoke free for 10 days without that much effort and am confident I can quit altogether.

I saw more replies before the CPF crash, some from people who quit 'analogues' recently.

So how's it going?

300winmag

Enlightened
As of Feb 26 I have been smoke free for a year!!!
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 5,840
Lifetime Saved: 1 month, 22 days, 21 hours
Money Saved: $2,774.00
I still crave them to this day but I will never go back again!!!!!
I never even heard of these E-cigs until I read your post a few
months ago but since then I have told quite a few people about them.

stickx

Newly Enlightened
The answer is to not have the next cigarette. I quit cold turkey 4 different times for 6 months each time before I figured out that I couldn't have even 1 cigarette. I would have "just one" and within a week I was back up to 1-2 packs a day. That was when they only cost 50 cents a pack. Now days I would go broke.

doktorziplok

Newly Enlightened
i quit 2 years ago, after smoking for 14 years. i tried nicotine gum, and that didn't work for me. i ended up using lozenges.

you can't quit if you aren't committed to it. don't ever think that you can have one at the bar, or keep a pack stashed for "emergencies."

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the process of quitting chewing tobacco after doing it for 22 years. Kodiak/Grizzly. I got a bunch of mint snuff which satisfies the physical "chewing" habit. The problem is, I love doing it. I love chewing tobacco. God help me I love it. So the mint stuff is helping a lot. I'm down to 3 pinches of the real stuff a day. I had been doing a can plus a day. We'll see. I'm on my last can of the real stuff as I write this. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can quit.

was_jlh

Enlightened
i quit almost 22 years ago cold turkey ( pack and a half a day ) because we were having our first baby. one thing that helped me for some reason was drinking white milk. i didnt drink it much before and i dont anymore, but it helped for some reason. and 22 years later i still crave one if i'm around a smoker.

radio2

Newly Enlightened
Tomorrow is my quit date as I have smoked for 30 years and just had a chest X-ray.
I was scared to hear the results but the doctor said no cancer and no emphasazima and I had dirty lungs but if I quit it will change for the better and in 9 years will be 90%. So I see this as a second chance in life.

redaudi

Newly Enlightened
quitting sucks, it's the hardest stupid thing i've ever done.

I have an E cigarette, and it definitely helps.

Now if i could only find the stupid charger for the battery on it...:mad:

Kremer

Enlightened
Thanks to mcdod and others I've been combustion-free for over a month now (2 days after my e-cig arrived in the mail). I picked up a Joye eGo and some eGo-T parts for it and other stuff. I have really been into it.

USACelt

Newly Enlightened
My wife has been smoke free for a year now and has been using the e-cigs. It was the only way she could quit. She was one of those that got a charger with unprotected 14500 battery, so far no problems. She quit picking on me about my flashlights after she saw the e-cig folks.

jforbush

Banned
Thanks for the post....I decided that I was going to quit a week ago. I had been smoking for almost 20 years. I was getting low on my last pack and I decided that I was done...no gum, no patch no nothing..... My GF said that it was almost impossible to quit without the aid of something. I decided that I was done and I am done...

The Ecig might be a great solution to help my GF to quit....thanks for posting up your success story and giving me the idea to help her out.

Marmaduke

Newly Enlightened
It seems ecigs are being banned at all the same places as regular cigarettes for no good reason other than they "look" like real cigarettes and second hand water vapor "might" be hazardous.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the patch and the dreams on it were incredible, the most vivid ever. Would wear the patch for that alone, but really did not quit with it, I started back up after. But a year later I decided I wanted to quit, and did, cold turkey, and it has been 10 years since I had one.

The key for me and most people I know is to want to quit. Really want to, not just I should quit, no method would work until you get to that point. After that, a good method will help and you will be successful.

savagemann

Newly Enlightened
Are those things direct drive?
How many lumens do the tips put out?
I'll have to see if I can mod my e-cig with an XML.......= )

On a serious note, they actually work really well if you WANT to quit smoking.

s15project

Newly Enlightened
Got one of these as a present for christmas. And I've been smoke free since Jan 1st. It helped with the nicotine craving but what I seem to miss the most is having something in my hand. I've kinda been putting down the e-cig too just because I've been too busy to carry it around and pay attention to keeping it charged. But find myself playing with a pen or my keys or something.

Now I guess I have to work on being less fidgety and I'll be all good. :D

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
I can add my experience with ecigs. I was a full time, dedicated cigarette smoker. A pack a day of Marlboro Reds, for 16 years, and I loved every god damn one of those cigarettes. I never tried to quit, and I laughed at those smokers who tried to quit every other month, and those who pretended to think smoking was bad or whatever. I put my cigarettes out on "no smoking" signs, and deliberately blew smoke in the faces of people who fake coughed at smokers.

Anyway, so as a smoker who loves smoking, and had no desire to quit, I originally read about ecigs from a thread on AR15.com. They looked interesting so I did some research and decided to try them, so, possibly, I could smoke those too. I got a starter kit, came up with an EDC ecig management system (which is easy enough to do), and started vaping. I kept a pack of real cigarettes and a lighter in my pocket the whole time, so I could always smoke if I wanted to (this was important to me). From the first day, I just smoked the ecig, and stopped smoking cigarettes (which you don't have to do, I just did it to try it). I had no problem not smoking cigarettes, and just smoking the ecig. Got my nic fix, got my oral/manual fixation handled, got my behavioral addiction sated.

Some things I liked about it were that I could do it indoors wherever I was: movie theaters, grocery stores, non-smoking people's houses, etc. Not only did no one mind, but if I cupped it in my hand, no one even knew. No smell of cigarettes. No more having to go outside in the cold or the rain. I could just take a hit or two, and then put my "cigarette" down on my desk or into my pocket, and neither be committed to smoking an entire cigarette, nor have to waste any. Great party trick if you hang out with other smokers (they're all very curious). Substantially cheaper than cigarettes.

After about 3 months, though, I kinda got tired of it and just put it down, and didn't pick it up again. I gave it to my brother in law, who promptly broke it. But that $100 starter kit (including 30ml of juice) would have lasted me about 6 months. I got the 12mg juice, because I didn't want it to be so strong that I couldn't smoke all the time..

That was over a year ago. I'll still smoke a cigarette when I hang out with a smoker, which is probably once a month. Other than that I'm smoke free and don't mind it a bit.

Oh, and I didn't see anyone above link the forum: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

I recommend giving it a try, even if it's only to get something additional to smoke.